Charmed

Sleuthing With the Enemy

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 14, 2000 on The WB

• Sleeping With the Demon

Sleuthing With The Enemy-When the sisters discover that Cole is Belthazor, Phoebe must make one of the toughest decisions of her life: either vanquish her boyfriend or keep one of the most dangerous demons known to exist alive.

Prue: We're gonna vanquish him.
    Piper: We're gonna vanquish Phoebe's boyfriend? That's going to cause some problems.

A dark, emotional episode that sees the sisters finally finding out Cole is Belthazar and Phoebe going through the most overwhelming moments of her life as she finds out the love her life is a demon. Alyssa Milano is great throughout as Phoebe tries to uncover the mystery of Cole and desperately trying to save his life. Julian McMahon is also very good as Cole is forced to reveal his true feelings for Phoebe as both lovers become face to face with the truth. The cementary scene is such a moving moment for the forbidden lovers with both actors putting on beautiful performances. You feel truly bad for Phoebe as she feels betrayed by Cole and well as you believe Cole when he says he loves her.

Prue and Piper's team-up with the the bounty hunter just added to the episode wonderfully as it brought some hilarious scenes and dialogue like this scene in particular:

Krell: What did you do to me?
    Prue: Uh, hi, you know what? You're sort of frozen in mid-air, therefore, we'll be asking the questions, okay? Who are you?
    Krell: Someone who's gonna butcher you if you don't unfreeze me right now.
    Piper: Okay. (She unfreezes him, and he slams into the grandfather clock. Prue scowls at her.) What? It was worth it.
    (Prue kicks him as he lies on the ground.)
    Prue: Alright, you start talking or we start the bonus round.
    Krell: I am Krell, a Zotar.
    Prue: Hi, I'm Prue, a Scorpio. Shannen Doherty and Holly Marie Combs were beyond entertaining throughout with the witty sister banter between Prue and Piper. Also, Scott MacDonald gives a fine performance as Krell, the demonic bounty hunter and works quite well with the 2 leads. There are also distrubing scenes to found throughout like Phoebe following a trail of blood in Cole's apartment to the bizarre scar left after Leo heals Cole's human half. But the best scene is the last as Phoebe and Cole say their goodbyes after Phoebe choses to fake Cole's death and lie to her sisters. It's slightly dark development for Phoebe as choices a deadly decision that might effect the lives of her sisters in the future and one she struggle to deal with for the next couple of episodes. All and All, "Sleuthing With The Enemy" is a great episode which truly starts the wonderful tragic love story between Cole and Phoebe.
TNT