Charmed

Someone to Witch Over Me

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 31, 2004 on The WB

• Someone to Witch Over Me

Someone to Witch Over Me was another perfect episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because the story was very engaging, intriguing and full of drama and character development. Paige and Agent Brody work together and it was great seeing their chemistry. I liked how Leo had to play double agent as he was an Avatar and the sisters suspect the Avatar's of being the new Big Bad. A lot happened in this episode making for an entertaining story and I was left wanting more with the spectacular ending. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Suck My Guardian!

Someone to Witch Over Me-Agent Brody and Paige investigate when they discover that the demon Sarpedon is capturing innocents' guardian angels and using them to protect himself from the new power. Meanwhile, Piper and Phoebe encourage Leo to go on a vision quest to face his demons.

Meh! This was more or less "Muse To My Ears" all over again. The Guardians getting sucked up by an amulet by a demon...kinda familiar terroritory with the writers. The Guardians themselves feel pretty random in the Charmedverse, especially with whitelighters and Elders around. Also, how is it that Paige even has a Guardian angel when whitelighters are already Guardian angels for witches? O_0 But hey, I guess these aren't the religious type of Guardians and are just guies for normal people, it makes sense? Anyway, the demon plot is weak and the Celbrety demons or whatever their called are your average "Piper blows them up with ease" forgettable demons. Once again, the only real plot movement is with Leo and the Avatars, although, the vision quest was pretty lame. Not to mention, Drew Fuller....who still sucks. Also, it was such a tack on plot point, the vision quest is so brief and poorly concieved, not going very indepth with Leo's past. But hey, I guess the more important part of the story was the Avatars getting involved. I have to admit, this Avatar arc picks up well here, especially the offer he gives Leo. The Avatars' M.O. so far is really thought-provoking, a world where good vs. evil is no longer an ongoing battle and the world free from it's all: especially demons. You can't blame Leo from being so tempted by their plans, the fact that Leo allows them to turn him into an Avatar is awesome and cool, making you wonder what Leo will do next with his new position. All and All, a decent episode despite another throw away demon plot, at least the arc with Leo and The Avatars making things more interesting.

• From soldier to whitelighter to Elder to Avatar...

Leo continues to collect powers and be promoted. Give this guy another couple seasons, and he would be God.

Season 6 kind of kicked into gear with a vision quest by Phoebe, and Season 7, or at least the cumbersome Avatar arc, kicks into gear with a vision quest for Leo, in which the Avatars reveal themselves as this "gathering storm" that ends up being a little more like a mild dusting.

Not sharing my opinion on the grand event, a demon named Sarpedon decides to gather guardian angels to protect himself. Questionable plan, but who needs the Source, the Triad, Zankou or anyone else when you have this guy? The guy manages to get Paige's guardian, slaps Brody around a little, and then kills Piper and Phoebe, single-handedly, though he himself is killed in the process.

Of course, Piper and Phoebe dying is nothing to worry about as long as Leo is around. Leo snaps out of his chit-chat with the Avatars just in time to find Piper and Phoebe dead. He seemingly can't heal them, too late, though that seems questionable considering the multiple stages of death, near death, and everything else that Leo has brought them back from. Anyway, the Avatars make him an offer he can't refuse, join them or let Piper and Phoebe die. Not much of a choice really. And thus, Leo becomes an Avatar, heals the sisters, and at least we have some answers and an end to the "Leo being crazy" story arc.
  • Basicaly, we find out who the Avitars realy are. This episode was great and seeing Drew Fuller(chris) again was great.

Very good episode. The whole idea of avitars is great, how ever they should have mentioned that the aviters were mentioned in season 5 when they wanted cole to join, just so we know they arent new. also random thought, i noticed the Tomb Raider Legend Theme was in this episode, however the theme is actualy an old folk song from the 1700's, named "Ailein duinn ". If you know the legend theme, listen for it when Leo is healing the sisters when they are dead.
  • MEN IN BLACK

Men in Black

Ok, so a lot of this stuff has been done before but it's still a good episode. The main plot sees Paige and Agent Brody investigating a series of strange deaths in which people are dying moments after being rescued from burning buildings. Turns out a demon has been starting the fires then stealing peoples' guardian angels when they turn up to help.

It's an interesting story, although the use of a magic amulet to trap the angels is a blatant copy of "Muse to My Ears". I'm not madly keen on the concept of guardian angels either. First up, if witches have guardians then what are whitelighters for? Secondly, why would losing a guardian make Paige so clumsy? That makes no sense.

I am really enjoying Paige and Kyles' relationship. Kyle is far and away the most interesting male character since Cole and I love that he's at the heart of the plot. Our demon-of-the-week is fairly average but he does get involved in a very cool fight with his demonic mate, who is played by Peter Woodward aka The Source. Definitely worth watching.

There's a hefty dose of character development for Leo this week. To help him get his head straight, Piper and Phoebe send him on a vision quest using the same potion Phoebe took last season (the continuity this season has been excellent). Chris leads him through the past then an avatar intercepts and shows him the future. Bringing back Chris is a nice touch, although Drew Fuller still hasn't shelled out for those acting lessons. It all ends in dramatic fashion with Leo becoming an avatar and bringing back the sisters from the dead. Can't wait to see how that pans out.

As with most sci-fi / fantasy shows, Charmed has become progressively more cosmic as the seasons have gone by. From its beginnings as three lone witches fighting evil we now have elders, whitelighters, a demonic underworld and the whole grand design thing. What's more, over the past half season we've started to see the traditional concept of good versus evil called into question, with evil elders, parallel worlds and now the neutral but all powerful avatars. For me, this is exactly where this show should be heading. Keep up the good work!

Score: 9.3
  • One of the best off-screen job in Charmed! The camera was awesome. We have lots of stunts and action scenes. Despite the weak story the episode could have been perfect!

Whoa! The best off-screen ever! A wonderful camera job and music job! Really exciting set and exterior filming. Stunts and action working together! You gotta love it!

Yes, the off-screen job was the best thing in this episode. Anyway who see the details of the filming will see this episode as a piece of perfection! The direction and the camera was wonderful. Let's talk about some scenes... First one, the whole beginning is filmed in exterior and it is not only that! It is a fire exterior! Whoa! It was really great see that they took seriously the action in this episode! Want more? The whole Avatar set and the demon cave set were amazing! The photography did a awesome in Leo's visision quest. The scene in the white place was really concerning! Now what about the HOW and not the WHERE? How they filmed this episode!? The slow cameras were so much exciting and great. Every little scene in this episode has a delightful camera job! Xd The last scene where the girls were killed was wonderful, it will be one of the better scenes in Charmed! It is filmed in one shot, Phoebe is coming down and suddenly the demon appear but the shot is not still going (There is not a cut) and then the slow camera was great aswell. I liked too the scene in the cave when the demon is waiting Paige and the he teleports himself. The stunts were great here too! We have a lot of action Xd When the man jumps out with the explotion! Or when Kyle jumps out of the window, when Kyle is in the ceiling of the cave. Perfect job in there. And at last we had a fighting scene in here!! Xd

Anyway the episode has a bad side too... The story is kinda boring. It is 50% Leo vision quest and 50% the demon story. Leo's part was boring, it was not like a Charmed scene at all! And the demon story could have been better if they all (I mean the three of them) would participate... It was only Paige in there. Anyway it was a pity not see Piper very much in this episode, despite that Paige and Kyle scenes were great! Phoebe was unemotional like she always is... The story was weak but had some great moments: 1- When Paige's angel is suddenly stolen and 2- when he says that he is gonna attack because the guardian are gonna say it!

Ending, I don't know a rating for this episode, it one of the best off-screen jobs in all Charmed story but the story is kinda weak... Anyway, I am gonna put a 9 in there, because the episode is not only about the story!
  • The Avatars are finally revealed !!

Agent Brody convinces Paige to help him solve a mysterious string of accidents, only to discover that the demon Sarpedon is capturing innocents' Guardian Angels and using them to protect himself from the forthcoming threat of a New Power. Meanwhile, Piper and Phoebe convince Leo to go on a Vision Quest to face his demons. While on his Quest, Leo finds guidance from his son Chris, but awakens to find Piper and Phoebe killed by Sarpedon. An Avatar, part of the New Power, offers to bring them back to life if Leo turns over his free will. Brilliant episode my favourite ever !!
  • Finally we found out who the avatars are. Read for plot details so you know what it is about. + opinions ^^

Ok lets do a list people!

1) Leo's plot. He is still messed up so Phoebe and Piper arrange a vision quest. Like Phoebe did last season. He gets himself all sorted, but as he is waking up the avatars (floating heads) enter his body. They tell him good/evil will end the world, and to become one of them. Eventually he does. Read on.

2) Everyone, elders and demons, are talking about this coming threat (the avatars). Chris also returns in Leo's vision. Onwards!

3) Brody and Paige [Phoebe doesn't believe him, Paige fancies him] investigate fires where the person jumps out the window, lives, then suddenly dies. They find this is because a demon is stealing their guardian angels.

4) The demon is super fast and has scissor hands. He is stealing the angels for protection against the coming power. He gets Paige's angel.

5) When the demon kills Piper and Phoebe, Leo becomes an avatar to save them, though he does not tell them this.
  • Chris Chris, Bang Bang

4.6
    A very boring episode which wastes many of the storylines which are used by featuring some long exposition lines and some un-interesting demon plots.

The A-plot has Paige and Brody investigating a series of fires across San Francisco don't kill the intended victims but they die elsewhere. They soon discover that a demon is stealing guardian angels and using them to protect himself. Meanwhile, Leo goes on a vision quest and goes into his past with the help of his vision guide, Chris.

Drew Fuller returns to the show and you hardly notice him. His acting hasn't approved and he appearing in Leo's vision quest seems slightly pointless. It's nice seeing Paige and Brody working together and Rose McGowan and Kerr Smith have some genuine chemistry. The mystery they're investigating would have been interesting if we hadn't seen virtually the exact same story back in season four where a demon was stealing muses and using them to protect himself.

The whole episode is basically re-playing past events. From the obvious in Leo's vision quest to the actual vision quest itself, which had been previously done in season six. It's disappointing as this could have been a very interesting episode. Nice interplay between Rose and Kerr and the continuing mystery of the Avatars are the only things saving this hour from being a complete disaster.
  • The Power of Three and Piper's Crazy Husband

The Power of Three and Piper's Crazy Husband

Main Storyline:
    Agent Brody and Paige investigate a series of deaths; the person always survives a fire only to be killed in some other way. The two see that Guardian Angels exist, and a demon steals Paige's in order to become more powerful. This resembled the plot of "Muse to My Ears," what with capturing the guardians/muses in the amulet/ring. However, I loved Kyle's and Paige's teamwork.

Sub-Plots:
    1. Leo's Vision Quest: Excellent! Leo's quest, complete with clips (from "Saving Private Leo," "The Courtship of Wyatt's Father," "The Day the Magic Died," and "It's a Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad World" Part 2) was absolutley terrific, and it chronichled Leo's fatherhood quite well.
    2. The Avatars and Leo: I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I love story arcs! And I love demons who don't spit out thier lines as if they're reading from cue cards! Anyway, I'm excited about the new power, and the Avatar's plan for their utopia, where neither good or evil exist. Oh yeah, and Leo's an avatar too now!
    3. Chris Returns!: Sure, it was only for about 4 1/2 minutes, but Drew Fuller was an added bonus during this episode.
    4. Agent Brody: Kerr Smith has really evolved, and I love his character. Paige and Kyle (KYLE?) have great onscreen chemistry, and I hope thier relationship lasts longer than that of Phoebe and Leslie.

What a great episode! However, I feel a little bit angry that the WB focused this episode around Brody and Paige instead of Leo's vision quest. The avatar is getting extremely dark, with them playing God, and though the main storyline was very trivial (though enjoyable) the sub-plots really saved the episode from being average.

Grade: A-