Charmed

Something Wicca This Way Comes

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 1998 on The WB

• What a way to start a new series. Intriguing and a perfect way to introduce the main characters and give them their powers.

So the first episode of Charmed is very good, and happens to be the episode I have seen the most times. I usually don't like pilot episodes, because they need so much to create a liking, and in some cases, an addiction for the series in question. Something Wicca This Way Comes really manages at this point. It introduces the main characters and set up their history together. The differences between the sisters (mainly between Phoebe and Prue) are very early on clear for the viewer.

The sister's receiving their powers is very well portrayed and it's fun to see them struggle with the fact that they're witches, and the problems of having powers. The main trio work really well together and that sisterly feeling is really there. They also set some rules for the fine art of demon (or in this case Warlock) vanquishing. Ted and Shannen work really well together and Andy and Darryl's relationship is so great. I'm also stunned by the sweetness of Piper's character, the adorable childishness of Phoebe's and the determined stubbornness of Prue's.

This episode is mainly about the sister's receiving their powers, and fighting off Jeremy. It's very exciting, and really showed what the future episodes would be like. All in all a very exciting episode with all the humour and wonderful characters that came to make Charmed my favourite series of all times.
  • Something Wicca This Way Comes

Something Wicca This Way Comes was a perfect series premiere of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching this episode because the actors were spectacular, the story was well written with intricate drama and there is magic! I thought this was a perfect introduction to the sisters and for them to be introduced to their heritage and powers. I certainly look forward to watching more episodes to see what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Three sisters find out that they are witches.

When Phebe comes back from New York there is a lot of tension between her and Prue. So far I know that it is some thing about some guy but its not really explained all the way about why Prue is pissed. The house they live in looks awesome, I wish I lived in a house like that. I suspected the reporter from the beginning... well after I found out he was dating Piper. The cop that Prue seems to like seems super cool and she totally should have said yes to him when he asked her out. My favorite part of the episode was when Phebe pissed off Prue in the store and she wreaked the place, lol though if that was for real somebody would have come running to see what all the noise was about. I would so be like Phebe, having powers would be awesome, though I don't think hers is all that great. Overall great start to the show!
  • First Episode!!

I just watched this episode few days ago, it is not bad, it was awesome! Phoebe is so brave to go to attic alone and she didnt get scared, or anything. Prue and Piper said the attic was sealed off for years! I dont think attic was sealed off, it was just LOCKED, that is all. It was weird enough when attic door opened itself! Phoebe did freed power of three and the sisters became witches. Though, sisters were scared enough and cant control the powers.
    Awesome Episode and I loves it! It is very special episode because it is pilot of Charmed!
  • There is always something special about your first.

This first episode is a darker realism than the episodes that immediately follow. There is a lot of exposition as the foundation of Charmed is poured. The action follows very quickly as Jeremy is uncovered and vanquished in rapid fashion. It is all very quaint compared to later effects.

The immediate strength of the series is the actresses and the sisterly bond between them. Their roles as strong and prudish elder, very innocent and worrying middle, and fearless free spirited youngest are clearly defined and believably portrayed. I liked the spirit board and the discovery of the attic. I found it interesting that it was Phoebe who pretty much ushered in their lives as witches. Much like when Paige goes on her superwitch push, Phoebe is excited about the new frontier. Piper is predictably hesitant and Prue is doubtful but accepting.

How huge was it that Alyssa Milano came in to be Phoebe? Most of the cumbersome exposition necessary for a first episode in this genre falls on Phoebe's shoulders, and Alyssa pulls it off smoothly. I thought the guys got off to a slow start, but much of that might have been the script, which was a little ponderous with the guys at the start. It all works though. Great start.
  • In its first three seasons Charmed had its best shows, and Something Wicca This way comes was know different.

I enjoyed the pilot episode when it was shown for the first time, and I really believed that we had something special with this series. Its now been on for seven seasons, and its likely to have an 8th season.

Like any new series, in this episode we get the origins of how the sisters end up with their powers. Phoebe finds and old book of withcraft and reads an incantation which gives the three their powers. That book would become the Book Of Shadows in which the three sisters would discover spells that helped them to fight off demons.

Piper's relationship with a man who turns out to be a demon in the first episode would turn out to not be the only time that one of the sisters would fall for a demon. In season 3, Phoebe would fall for Cole Turner who would turn out to be the popular half-demon Balthazar who would become a long standing character through seasons three, four and much of five. He even returned for an episode in season seven as well.

Well the first episode ends when the three sisters must use the power of three spell, a spell that would be used many times throughout the series, to vanquish Piper's demon boyfriend who had been out to take their powers for himself. The series would follow that same structure throughout, sometimes continuing on to the next episode, but always ending with the sister's triumphant over evil.

Overall the first episode of Charmed was well done. I enjoyed it and watched it for four seasons, but I kind of lost interest after Prue died. After Prue's death, the episodes became more lackluster until finally after a Witches Tale, I kind of gave up. Every once in awhile I would check up on it, but I'm sorry to say I haven't watched any of the new season's episodes at all.
  • The Bangs, the Boobs, and the One with the Crazy Eyes

After the success of their other paranormal show Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the WB commissioned a TV series centered around three sisters who discover that they are destined to be witches. Witches who protect the world from evil every week.

The first episode, entitled Something Wicca This Way Comes is a perfect introduction to the series. The three leads all seem perfectly fine with their roles and it does seem like they've known each other for years. The plotline, about a warlock killing witches, isn't exactly original but still brings up some interesting twists and shocks. The revelation that Jeremy is the warlock is a nice twist and the way he can create fire from his fingertips is a really cool special effect. Speaking of special effects, they do look slightly poor by today's standards, but back then, they looked amazing. Apart from two scenes of bad FX (the fire surrounding the sisters and Jeremy's face morphing), the rest of the effects are excellent.

A couple of annoyances: Prue is written as a moody drama queen throughout. It seems like the network didn't like Prue's pissed off attitude and had her become nicer from episode two onward. This was obviously a good decision, as she would of ended up a one-note character if she continued being angry for no apparent reason. All-in-all, this is a good introduction to the series with good performances from all the main cast and good writing from Connie Burge.

Director: John T. Kretchmer
    Writer: Constance M. Burge
    Rating: B+
  • Yeah... It's silly in a good way! I mean, come on: Three hot sisters in one house! - And, they just so happen to be witches!!

This was a really good first episode! It sets a lot of things up and (unlike some first episodes) it was interesting. However, I gave it an 8.8 for goofs/nitpicks (or trivia, as it's now called!) and the acting was as good as other episodes...

Yes, unfortunately, the acting was not very good! The actresses seemed like they were trying to adjust to their new roles, but it's okay because it would get better later one! =D

The plot was also interesting! I honestly thought that Piper's reporter boyfriend would have been on longer, but he was surprisingly evil! And, the way the sisters became (or not really because they already were) witches was believable!

All in all... everyone should see this first episode! (But I didn't see it until it came out on DVD, so go watch!!)
  • Great start to a great show!

I remember seeing the previews for the show . I couldnt wait for it to air, i knew i was going to love it, i mean come on alyssa milano how hot it she but thats not the only reason i liked it it was a gret starter show got the audience wanting more it was a little steriotypical but it was still good, i mean thats just the way people imagine witches minus the incredibly hot part. Anyway the show was genious i started watching it that day and have watched it every week since, well sometimes i tape it to watch it later but you get it, if you havent watched it i highly recommend it. Start with that episode you have to watch it before the rest, its what ties up the loose ends if you dont understand future episodes i give it two thumbs up.
  • Something Wicca this way comes and takes us on an 8 year journey.

This episode I think really brought out the characters main personalities.

Prue for example has somewhat of a resentment towards Roger, who cheated on her, her Dad who abandoned her and Phoebe who left the manor after Grams died and was rumored to have slept with Roger.

Piper - The patient mediator who's just looking for a normal life, we see this develop later on in the series, especially after Prue's death where she becomes independent but somewhat less patient.

Finally, Phoebe, the youngest and most free willed. Her enthusiasm to take on the craft and embrace it somewhat reflects her desire to get an identity for herself as we later see her getting a job and settling.

Overall I'd say they're powers are also matched up. Prue's Telekinesis with her anger, Piper's Temporal Statis in trying to keep the Peace and Phoebe's Clairvoyance reflects her wishing to find herself.

What was disappointing was Piper's reaction to Jeremy's death - yes they cast a spell for Jeremy to 'wither from her life and from her heart' but the fact remains she loved him 24 hours ago and it seemed somewhat farfetched.

But in the end, a very nice pilot!
  • This episode introduces us to the Charmed that we know and love.

I love this episode, I actually downloaded the original pilot with Lori Rom as Phoebe, and needless to say, it didn't have the same effect. I loved the chemistry among these three actresses. The episode opens with a random witch reciting a protection spell, who is killed by a cloaked figure. Cut to the Halliwell Manor, where Prue comments on how the chandelier needs to be fixed, Piper skirting around the fact that Phoebe is moving back in, forced to admit it, and when asked when shew is coming, Phoebe appears. Prue is infuriated, Piper, annoyed at Prue, pays the cab driver with Prue's money. The storylines that each of them follow really show you who the characters are- Phoebe being the resented little sister, who the oldest sister, Prue, is overprotective of, and obviously enivies for her free-spiritedness, thought she would never admit it to Phoebe, and Phoebe is always trying to impress Prue. When Phoebe moves back home Piper, trying ever to be the homemaker, tries to make the reunion pleasant, and is heartbroken that her two sisters have so much hate towards each other. Piper and Phoebe play with the spirit board, Prue and Piper insisting that she is pushing the pointer, but it spells out attic. Apparently the attic has been unable to be opened since Grams died or longer, but Phoebe goes up,can't open the door turns to leave, and it opens itself. She finds the Book of Shadows, reads and incantation, inadvertently giving all of their powers back. Powers they didn't know about, and which Prue and Piper are unwilling to accept--there are no such things as witches, right? Prue's boss is a jerk, and I particularly love the scene where she is thinking about strangling him, and his tie attacks him, and also earlier on when his pen contaminates his shirt, then when Prue puts the cream in her coffee without lifting a finger, and makes the medicine shelf fall over when Phoebe provokes her. Plus, it is really cute when Piper freezes the chef that she is auditioning for mid-bite because she ahdn't the time to put the port in the sauce. Phoebe is worried because she hasn't yet found her power, and then sees Jeremy killing Piper. Jeremy is the creep of the week, who is trying to kill Piper, now that she has found her powers, and has been pursuing her ever since Grams got sick to kill her and her sisters. The effects of the spell and the use of a poppet was very much reminescent of The Witches of Eastwick, in a good way. Ultimately, Jeremy is riddled with rose thorns and still coming after them, so the Power of Three spell, which was engraved on the spirit board found earlier before Phoebe arrived, is employed, and Jeremy goes poof.
  • A great way to a fabolous written series that will rank up there with classics that Mr. Joss Whedon brought to us in 1997 with his TV Take on the Vampire World in "Buffy". Charmed introduced us to the world of the Wiccans(or Witches).

Finally, after my several failed attempts to see the Pilot Episode, I got to see the Pilot Episode thanks to the magic of the TV DVD boom. I have one word to summarize this show: WOW. In just 45 minutes it manages to explain how everything cam about. It's also interesting to see that Phoebe started off as the self-centered spoiled little girl. Look at Phoebe now, she's now a Newspaper Column Writer and taking her life in stride. Quite an evolution for Phoebe. Piper is still the same after all these years. It was also great to see Andy Trudeau, who we learn was the sisters' childhood friend and still is. This episode proved that the show was able to continue in the trend of "X-Files", "Buffy" and "Angel.
  • First eppi. and its great!!!!!

This probly would be one of the best episodes ever! it shows the start of th PO3. if u havent seen this eppi. and seen the show and loved it, u have 2 see this one! i thought this episode would be bad when prue was mad at pheobe cause i thought she would stay mad but she didnt and it was great!
  • A terrific series premiere. One of the best ever! This shows how it all started. Did I mention one of the best ever?

This was a very special episode! It has everything a great series finale should have. Like being funny. Some drama. Some action. All in all, a bit of every genra. (Sorry if I spelled that wrong.) One of the best episodes ever!!!! Definetly one of a kind. It also shows how good the next episodes, seasons and everything are gonna be!!! The only series premiere that can rival this is "Welcome to the Hellmouth" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Very well written. Shows why this series is so great. Incredibly incredible. Terrificly terrific. Fantasticly fantastic. Have I said enough? Oh well.
  • Three sisters Prue, Piper, and Pheobe Halliwell find themselves as witches after the death of their grandmother. Thier Wiccan powers reveal when they stumble upon the mysterious Book of Shadows in their Victorian mansion's attic. The girls soon find that

Okay, the whole series Charmed definitely takes some time getting used to... this all starts with the pilot. To enjoy the series you need to believe that there is some magic in this world- otherwise you will spend seven years frusterated saying "that could never happen" or "what the heck is this". I say this to the unimaginative, stickler people, of course. I find the plot a little bit unconvincing myself. Pheobe's readyness to jump right in to being a Charmed one after an absence of a couple years kinda annoys me. Though Piper and Prue have fairly believable reactions. In short, my love for Charmed has grown since the pilot, and do not set a prescident... it gets better during the first season.
  • The very first episode, the sisters discover that they have magical powers, and their life will never be the same again

This episode is a must see for everybody and for obvious reason of course.

I think that the episode was extremelly well written for a pilot episode, of course there are few flaws, but which pilot doesn't until they find how they want the show to be.

It's really where it all begun, fans all know this, and if you missed it, you absolutely have to see it, you MUST see it, and you'll be pleased. It's a very good pilot and the sisters difference are talked about and showed in the first minutes of the show.

It really is one of the best TV (fantasy) Pilot I've seen
  • The One With the Beginning

Scoop:
    Let's just say... I'm not a big fan of pilot episodes, but this nearly blew me off.

Review:
    I wasn't too thrilled when I learned some new series titled Charmed was starting. In fact, if I hadn't watched this episode, I don't think my downloading software is now full of Charmed files. Let me just say that I'm not a big fan of pilot episodes, probably shows which I judged before watching as silly, but this nearly blew me off.

Basically, three very ordinary sisters who lives in San Francisco finds out that all the normality in their whole life after one of them read an incantation from a mystical book called the Book of Shadows. The next morning, they learn they've inhabited special powers. They're the Charmed Ones, and they're called that for a reason: protect the Innocents.

This is a very good series premiere. It had it's delightful moments, and all the humorous sibling rivalry, not to mention those scary jeepery moments with Jeremy the warlock, romantic scenes with Andy/Prue and Jeremy/Piper. Overall, it's good!! 4/5 stars.

Next Week:
    The One with the Second Date
  • Brilliant from the beginning.

This show is brilliant and although this wasn't the first episode I ever watched, if it had been I would have definitely continued to watch the show all the way through. The three actressess seem to work really well together and seem like real sisters with a history. The show had the right mix of normality, magic and humour to make it enjoyable throughout and although the clothes are not as glamourous as they will become later on in the series, it was a brilliant start and Jeremy was a perfect first warlock. This is definitely my kind of show.
  • I Love it

Wonderful epidose! I enjoyed a lot , was a very great beginning, I think Constance M Burge have write an amazing episode , My favorite scene was when Prue said \"I do not have special powers~, now where\'s the milk?~and she moves the milk next to her, I just love it!

• Prudence, Piper and Phoebe, three of four magical sisters recieve their powers after Phoebe reads an incantation from the Book of Shadows.

This episode had a really strong wiccan vibe to it and was centred around good vs evil rather than witches and whitelighters vs darklighers, warlocks and demons. It's exciting and fascinating to learn their background, and get to know the sisters as people before their magic becomes the main concern of their lives. Prue does come across as the protective and caring oldest sister, Piper is very much the troubled and nervous middle sister and Phoebe is the most impressionable and wants a good relationship with Prue.
    It leaves you craving more.
  • Sisters Prue, Piper and Phoebe unite in their demised grandmother\'s house. They are shocked when receiving magical powers, realising they are witches destined to protect the innocent and battle evil. Along with this, they need to get along as sisters as

Well, the classification should say it all: A very special episode, it does not get any more classic.

We have all the characters as fresh and unspoiled as we could get, along with their powers, of which, it should be noted, only Piper\'s seems to function exactly as it will later (as Prue is later NOT able to move through air without it being visible, as in the cream scene, nor does Phoebe receive premonitions without touching anything, except perhaps in Primrose Empath, season three).

The pilot could often be expected to be somewhat feeble, but actually, for a pilot, this episode is very well written, scary, full of suspense, giving us a fine balance between the discovery of the sisters and the warlock already attempting to murder them.

You have to enjoy the warlocks of season one, they are much more monstrous than the human demons in later seasons, and therefore much more frightening and demonised. Though it seems a bit comical that Jeremy has to run to the Manor to get them, in stead of Blinking or something, but I guess it's always this way when the story's still a baby.

Furthermore, a funny hint from the writers should be noticed. Piper asks Phoebe to ask the spirit board if Prue will have sex with someone else than herself this year, and the board spell \'AT\', the initials of Andy Trudeau, before spelling the full word ATTIC where Phoebe shall read the incantation that shall give them their powers at last.

Enjoy, this one is a must.
  • I thought this episode was great, and a wonderful way to start the show.

When this episode aired, you could tell the show would be big. This episode was awesome, and I think season one and two are the best seasons. I miss the stand-alone episodes where each week they'd have a different innocent to save, and a different demon to vanquish. Oh well.

I can't imagine what this episode would be like with Lori om as phoebe, but nevermind, I don't have to worry about that since Lori quit.
  • The beginning of a wonderful serie!

This pilot episode is the beginning of eight years of one of the best series in the past decade. I absolutely L-O-V-E Charmed. But I\'m actually glad also that after eight seasons, they decided to quit the show so that they could end in some kind of beauty...

The pilot episode is not the serie\'s best episode, which is only natural but still... It gives a good general view of what is about to come in the next eight seasons. I\'ve only tuned in with the episode \'She\'s a Man, Baby\' and then I understood what the fuss was all about when my friends talked about the show. From then onwards, I\'ve put my effort in viewing every next episode and the episode I\'ve missed and it wasn\'t a waste of time :)

Thank you for the entertainment, girls!
  • Memorable and Intriguing.

An amazing episode of Charmed that perfectly embodies what the show is all about; sisters who happen to be witches.

There are soo many aspects that I absolutely love about this episode.
    First, I love that Prue and Phoebe don’t necessarily like each other in the beginning and this brings an interesting dynamic to the show as they have to come together in order to fully embrace their powers. All the scenes in which the sisters discover their powers are special in their own way from Piper's chef exam and Prue's coffee to Pheobe saving an innocent. Shannen, Holly and Phoebe are all perfectly cast and I’m sure none of us can imagine the show without them.

The dialogue in this episode is simply great and the sister interactions are spot on. Also, I have to menton the phamacy scene in which Phoebe provokes Prue into unleashing her anger as it is simply great.

In addition, I really love the ominous and dark feeling that accompanies this episode. It just gives this creepy mood throughout especially when Jeremy is disguised as a hooded figure waiting outside the manor. Moreover, the whole series of events that lead to Phoebe discovering The Book of Shadows are expertly written and directed although Phoebe’s eagerness to become a witch is a bit unbelievable.

The only thing that annoys me about the episode is the vanquish. I just find the sisters chanting “The Power of Three will set us free” over and over again while Jeremy just stands around taunting them really corny and lame. Nevertheless, the above average effects more than make up for it (the circle of wind and fire that engulfs the sisters) although they are kind of cheap in a way I can’t explain. Anyway, that can be overlooked since the episode is quite old.

Finally, the ending is very cool like most of those of the first season possessing a certain “charm” that just makes you want to watch the next episode even though it isn't really a cliffhanger. I love the final moments in which Prue telekinetically closes the manor door. It’s an excellent ending to a wonderful episode that is definitely a favorite of mine. I just never get bored of watching this one.

• the first Charmed

Meh, a great episode for this show.
    I don’t fell like it used the potential it had, besides it had some badly written and acted moments.

But all in all, it mostly leave you for more.
    Charmed /was/ a good show about three sister witches who were chosen to protect the innocents.

The first impressions of the characters were:
    Prue: a little stickup B!tchy with bad temper, always having something against her little sister. I never connected to well with Prue somehow. She was too responsible and not always that interesting.
    Piper: Sweet sister who tries to glue her sisters together, good first impressions.
    Phoebe: Funny, fresh and flunky. The funnest of the three (for the first three years anyway)

The episode features someone who is after witches and killing them, he seems to be a good guy and the boyfriend of these witches. But the only thing he really wants it their powers.

What I don’t like about this episode was that there was way too much talking that it got a bit boring, also didn’t like the way Prue found about her powers and the way she reacted except for this line ‘No, I’m not okay. You turned me into a witch’.

Meanwhile Prue quits her job and meets this agent along, Andy. They used to know each other and begin to have feelings for each other again.

So anyway, now that they all have powers. Phoebe can look into the future, Piper can freeze time and Prue can move things with her mind (when she’s angry, she doesn’t seem to be much into her dad)

Eventually Piper’s boyfriend tries to kill her and steal her powers but the three witches do a spell together an defeat the evil guy.
    It was a nice episode, not overly interesting but it had a lot of potential and it succeeded to use some.
  • Prue, Piper and Phoebe have discovered that they are powerfull witches. The most powerfull in fact, more than any other witch before there time. Now, known as the charmed ones, they have to fight evil and manage there personal life at the same time

I Think this episode was very clearly plotted and written, with good text and dialogue.
    This is an excellent season opener AND show opener for Charmed, with great performances and dramatic acting from the cast.

This episode was action-packed throughout the hour which will make the audience who watched this episode want to go back and watch the next insaulment of Charmed

Overall, i liked this episode as it starred some of my favourite actresses including Shannen Doherty who gave a memorable performance. I also thought Holly Marie Combs gave a dramtic performance in her scene when she finds out a big shocker for her whilst in the elovator!!!
  • brilliant.

this is the first episode of charmed. the sisters find out that they are witches. phoebe moves back on with her sisters prue and piper. pipers boyfriend jeremy is actually a warlock trying to kill them for their powers. all 3 sisters get a magic power.

prue gets the power of telekinesis the ability to move things with her mind.
    piper gets the ability to freeze time
    and phoebe can see the future.

this was one of the best first episodes of a tv show i have ever watched.

overall: very good episode everyone should watch it. very well written.
  • First episode!!

This is Charmed\'s first episode aired on TV!!! The youngest sister Phoebe comes home from New York to live with her 2 siters Piper and Prue. That night she goes to the attic and discovers The Book Of Shadows. She reads a spell from the book and her and her sisters get there powers of being Charmedones. But with the powers they get they learn they have to fight a warlocks and demons.

The powers they recive are:
    Piper freezing time
    Phoebe seeing the future
    Prue telekinsis

This episode was a great starter for the series. This episode is great. So here is a 9.6!
  • phoebe finds the book of shadows and casts a spell and they got their powers. they vanquish their first demon, jeremy.

7.8
    i love charmed it is the greatest show ever made. i started watching it from the middle and only later saw the pilot, i find the pilot disapointing and not charmed material at all. the episode was pretty boring other than the fact it is the beginning. but since alyssa milano is one of my favorites actresses, who plays phoebe, i am very happy that she replaced whoever played phoebe in the original pilot episode. also its good that their first vanquish was pretty easy and the spell was easy too, it would suck if they had a harder demon to go up against when they just found out about their powers and the book.
< 1 2 3 4