Charmed

Something Wicca This Way Comes

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 1998 on The WB

• Great start to a great show!

I remember seeing the previews for the show . I couldnt wait for it to air, i knew i was going to love it, i mean come on alyssa milano how hot it she but thats not the only reason i liked it it was a gret starter show got the audience wanting more it was a little steriotypical but it was still good, i mean thats just the way people imagine witches minus the incredibly hot part. Anyway the show was genious i started watching it that day and have watched it every week since, well sometimes i tape it to watch it later but you get it, if you havent watched it i highly recommend it. Start with that episode you have to watch it before the rest, its what ties up the loose ends if you dont understand future episodes i give it two thumbs up.
  • Just seen for the first time after watching quite a bit of the last two seasons and well I have to say that, it was OK

Up till last month I had only seen a couple of episodes of Charmed, the one that stuck in my mind featured the Star Trek/Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey cliff with the pointy Rock some Demon and and an overpass, I was extremely underwhelmed. Then I saw quite a bit of the last 2 Season's when my brother started recording them each day. Where as they mainly seemed budget constrained (not many outdoor locations and far too much of that cave set) they were reasonable enough to be entertaining (although Rose Mcgowan's face pulling was annoying). So I was very intrigued to see the Pilot episode.

The first thing I noted was that there seemed to be far more scope and far more locations used. Prue who I know gets killed or something at the end of Season 3 was very different to Paige, she's far more serious, acting at times like an overbearing mother. This felt a little out of place although I'm assuming for the sake of the series she calms down a little later on. Although I haven't seen it yet so I wouldn't know. Phoebe in the later series seemed to be the only one that had a proper job so its funny here to have Prue complain about her having no sense of direction. I'm also intrigued to see why Piper changed direction from Chef to Nightclub owner.

So basically it had potential to grow from what is seen here. The powers are not all that amazing and nothing that hasn't been seen before although it's aiming for a light tone as well so It's not surprising. The cop/mystery/witch killer thing could have been played out for a few more episodes though as the reveal was a little too underplayed.
  • Three sisters Prue, Piper, and Pheobe Halliwell find themselves as witches after the death of their grandmother. Thier Wiccan powers reveal when they stumble upon the mysterious Book of Shadows in their Victorian mansion's attic. The girls soon find that

Okay, the whole series Charmed definitely takes some time getting used to... this all starts with the pilot. To enjoy the series you need to believe that there is some magic in this world- otherwise you will spend seven years frusterated saying "that could never happen" or "what the heck is this". I say this to the unimaginative, stickler people, of course. I find the plot a little bit unconvincing myself. Pheobe's readyness to jump right in to being a Charmed one after an absence of a couple years kinda annoys me. Though Piper and Prue have fairly believable reactions. In short, my love for Charmed has grown since the pilot, and do not set a prescident... it gets better during the first season.
  • Phoebe returns home to live with her sisters, Prue and Piper. Phoebe finds and reads from a book of witchcraft that leaves the sisters three with magiccal powers. They must learn to use them or loose them and their lives at the hands of a warlock.

7.3
    It all seems innocent enough, finding a book and reading aloud. When you don\'t believe in it anyway, what\'s the harm? Until you learn that it\'s real and demons and warlocks want to steal your powers and must kill you to do this.

This starts the pattern of bad boyfriends, sisterly bonding, and trying to find their indivual selves. I like the differences in relationships between each sister. You get a little background and start to see the strengths and weaknesses of each personality and how their powers will play into that. I like that it is Piper that has the evil boyfriend because she seems most vulnerable at this point.
  • phoebe finds the book of shadows and casts a spell and they got their powers. they vanquish their first demon, jeremy.

7.8
    i love charmed it is the greatest show ever made. i started watching it from the middle and only later saw the pilot, i find the pilot disapointing and not charmed material at all. the episode was pretty boring other than the fact it is the beginning. but since alyssa milano is one of my favorites actresses, who plays phoebe, i am very happy that she replaced whoever played phoebe in the original pilot episode. also its good that their first vanquish was pretty easy and the spell was easy too, it would suck if they had a harder demon to go up against when they just found out about their powers and the book.
  • This episode was a very interesting introduction into a wonderful series.

Prue and Piper live together in a house which was left to them in their grandmother's will, and their sister Phoebe returns to live with them. Piper welcomes Phoebe with open arms, while Prue is less than thrilled with Phoebe's arrival.

Piper and Phoebe are using the spirit board, when the pointer suddenly moves on Phoebe, and it leads the sisters to the attic, where Phoebe says an incantation, and unbeknownst to the sisters, they have recieved their powers.

Prue unknowningly uses her powers again her ex - and her boss - Roger, while Piper uses her to her advantage to complete her reciepe while Phoebe uses her to save two teenagers from being hit by a car.

In this episode, Andy and Darryl, two police officers, are trying to find the murderers of women. While Andy thinks the women are witches, Darryl thinks he is just being crazy, but they still attempt to track down the murderer.

Piper, Prue and Phoebe learn more about their powers, and they defeat their first demon. While Prue and Piper are a little nervous about their powers, and what they've become, Phoebe embraces it, something that will probably remain for most of the series (more of less).

This episode introduces us to some great characters, such as Andy and the sisters, and while right now it's confusing how Darryl fits in, don't worry, he'll have a more pivotal role in seasons to come.
  • Start of something big!

The first of many classic episodes to come, Although not one of my most favourite episodes it shows you what genius is to come later.
    The episode explains everything you need to know about the three sisters, the power of three, the book of shadows. I can guarantee that this will get any Charmed newbie hooked. I got my brother hooked after just one episode. He is constantly bugging to borrow my DVDs which i reluctantly give up as i watch them constantly.
    And although it has sadly now finished anyone who has not had the pleasure of watching charmed take it not just from me but from all charmed fans on TV.Com and watch it.
  • An exciting episode which sets you up for the whole series!

I have only just started to watch charmed mainly through re-runs and dvds, but what an episode to pull you into watching the rest of the series'. This episode is deffinetly worth viewing and sets you up for the excitement of which is to come. The actors which feature in this episode i feel are really strong and individual characters already especially with only being the first episode. The cast has been really well selected and each character well thought about and this deffinetly shows through this episode, i cant wait to carry on watching the rest and to see what comes of the Halliwell sisters.
  • Three sisters,Prue,Piper,and Pheobe find out they are witches who prtect the innocent. Prue has the power of telakensis,piper can freeze time and Pheobe gets premonitions.They kill piper's boyfriend,an evil warlock, who is going to kill them.

Since this is the first episode it has to set up the rest of the series,so it ends up being a little boring. And like many other shows,they end up changing a lot that they say to make it fit future storylines.For a first episode I thought it was entertaining.
  • the sisters reunite at home. phoebe finds the book of shadows and get magical powers, along with her sisters piper and prue. prue has telekinetic abilities, piper can freeze time, and phoebe can see the future. they must vanquish a warlock, or get killed

this really started the show off good. Immediatly after watching this episode, charmed became my favoite show. i didnt really like how prue didnt like phoebe that much, then by the end of the episode they were buddy-buddy. its kind of confusing how vanquishing a warlock is such a problem in this episode while later in the season theyre killing off demons like theyre nothing. i like it how phoebe believes right away then has to convince her sisters that they have powers too. its so dramatic how if they dont vanquish the warlock jeremy, aka pipers boyfriend, they will get killed. good start to one of the longest running shows on TV.
  • Fine Example

This episode is a fine example of what Charmed stands for, Three sisters who happen to be witches. it brings through fine Wiccan traditions, the Witch reciting a protection spell because she feels someone is watching her, a feeling that was true, and through what they say, you can find out why Phoebe left in the first place and then she tells you why she came back.
  • What a way to start a new series. Intriguing and a perfect way to introduce the main characters and give them their powers.

So the first episode of Charmed is very good, and happens to be the episode I have seen the most times. I usually don't like pilot episodes, because they need so much to create a liking, and in some cases, an addiction for the series in question. Something Wicca This Way Comes really manages at this point. It introduces the main characters and set up their history together. The differences between the sisters (mainly between Phoebe and Prue) are very early on clear for the viewer.

The sister's receiving their powers is very well portrayed and it's fun to see them struggle with the fact that they're witches, and the problems of having powers. The main trio work really well together and that sisterly feeling is really there. They also set some rules for the fine art of demon (or in this case Warlock) vanquishing. Ted and Shannen work really well together and Andy and Darryl's relationship is so great. I'm also stunned by the sweetness of Piper's character, the adorable childishness of Phoebe's and the determined stubbornness of Prue's.

This episode is mainly about the sister's receiving their powers, and fighting off Jeremy. It's very exciting, and really showed what the future episodes would be like. All in all a very exciting episode with all the humour and wonderful characters that came to make Charmed my favourite series of all times.
  • one of the best pilot episodes i've seen.

i like this episode we meet the power of 3 for the first time we meet andy and darryl for the first time. with the few mistakes in a couple of sense it still is a good episode to premire on. i'd like to see charmed last along time. atleats 2 more seasons to make it an even 10.
  • Perfect to start a great show.

3 great actresses playing three powerful witches. I was always into paranormal stuff and all shows with magic and witches are usually cartoons. I was glad to see such a storyline of magic and fantasy to be mixed in the real world of love and drama. The pilot showed the Charmed Ones recieve and use their powers for the first time. For a starter episode, it was funny dramatic and it kept me interseted through the full hour.
  • First episode of Charmed to be aired.

This is a really great episode! I have to admit that it is not my favorite, but it is really good. It is the episode that brought so many fans, including me, to the series.
  • In its first three seasons Charmed had its best shows, and Something Wicca This way comes was know different.

I enjoyed the pilot episode when it was shown for the first time, and I really believed that we had something special with this series. Its now been on for seven seasons, and its likely to have an 8th season.

Like any new series, in this episode we get the origins of how the sisters end up with their powers. Phoebe finds and old book of withcraft and reads an incantation which gives the three their powers. That book would become the Book Of Shadows in which the three sisters would discover spells that helped them to fight off demons.

Piper's relationship with a man who turns out to be a demon in the first episode would turn out to not be the only time that one of the sisters would fall for a demon. In season 3, Phoebe would fall for Cole Turner who would turn out to be the popular half-demon Balthazar who would become a long standing character through seasons three, four and much of five. He even returned for an episode in season seven as well.

Well the first episode ends when the three sisters must use the power of three spell, a spell that would be used many times throughout the series, to vanquish Piper's demon boyfriend who had been out to take their powers for himself. The series would follow that same structure throughout, sometimes continuing on to the next episode, but always ending with the sister's triumphant over evil.

Overall the first episode of Charmed was well done. I enjoyed it and watched it for four seasons, but I kind of lost interest after Prue died. After Prue's death, the episodes became more lackluster until finally after a Witches Tale, I kind of gave up. Every once in awhile I would check up on it, but I'm sorry to say I haven't watched any of the new season's episodes at all.
  • Brilliant from the beginning.

This show is brilliant and although this wasn't the first episode I ever watched, if it had been I would have definitely continued to watch the show all the way through. The three actressess seem to work really well together and seem like real sisters with a history. The show had the right mix of normality, magic and humour to make it enjoyable throughout and although the clothes are not as glamourous as they will become later on in the series, it was a brilliant start and Jeremy was a perfect first warlock. This is definitely my kind of show.

• The 3 Halliwell sisters discover they are witches...

What a great pilot episode! The 3 main characters - Prue, Piper and Phoebe are well acted by Shannen, Holly and Alyssa. The roles also seem well defined by the writers - with each sister having a distinct personality. The main story about the girls discovering their heritage and their powers is interesting and the interaction between the 3 girls seem like they are really sisters. The special effects for this type of show are also reasonably good. The main attraction to this show would be the 3 sisters - and even with some silly stories in the future, the acting of the 3 main leads would keep viewers watching...
  • An easy watchable introduction

Now, I know Charmed has been on for years, but either due to work, or just not watching the right channels, I had missed this fine show until now (2006). I was actually introduced to it by my mum of all people, who told me on the phone one night that she was hooked on it. So I started where everyone should, at the beginning, and watched with cynical and jaded eyes. I\'ve seen enough pilots and shows that come and go, and unless they offer something new, then they usually fall by the wayside of my viewing eyes. In short, I expected a Buffy clone.
    What I found though was a charming (sic) little show, that kept me entertained in an easy going way. Coming from Aaron Spelling, it was formulaic, but nothing to really complain about.
    Anyway, I am now hooked on this fine show myself. It’s an easy way to escape for 40 minutes.
  • Something Wicca this way comes and takes us on an 8 year journey.

This episode I think really brought out the characters main personalities.

Prue for example has somewhat of a resentment towards Roger, who cheated on her, her Dad who abandoned her and Phoebe who left the manor after Grams died and was rumored to have slept with Roger.

Piper - The patient mediator who's just looking for a normal life, we see this develop later on in the series, especially after Prue's death where she becomes independent but somewhat less patient.

Finally, Phoebe, the youngest and most free willed. Her enthusiasm to take on the craft and embrace it somewhat reflects her desire to get an identity for herself as we later see her getting a job and settling.

Overall I'd say they're powers are also matched up. Prue's Telekinesis with her anger, Piper's Temporal Statis in trying to keep the Peace and Phoebe's Clairvoyance reflects her wishing to find herself.

What was disappointing was Piper's reaction to Jeremy's death - yes they cast a spell for Jeremy to 'wither from her life and from her heart' but the fact remains she loved him 24 hours ago and it seemed somewhat farfetched.

But in the end, a very nice pilot!
  • The beggining of something great!

As i consider my self a huge charmed fan, writing about charmed's first episode it's something like duty.

The episode is directed really well. John T. Kretchmer creats a shady atmosphere that the charmed will loose in the future ( in the seasons 5, 6 and 8). The plot of this episode is rally good. I really enjoyed the rift between Phoebe and Prue. I realy loved the whole wicca plot although I think that Connie doesn't give a realy good explanation about magic but lets the vier learn with the sisters. I like Pipers relationship with Jeremy ( it forshadows all those relationships of the sisters with evil men).

Great scenes: The death of the witch in the begginning ( great camera angle,great direction that it can even cause you fear and great Kit introduction!) Phoebes arrival ( great acting by Shannen and Allyssa and great direction) Phoebe's first use of her powers ( awesome to see how the first innocent was saved and great acting by Allyssa and Kit), Piper in the elevator with Jeremy ( great acting by Holly, great camera angle and great direction), first vanquish (good acting by all and great direction)

Bad scenes: Piper's first use of her Powers ( anxious acting by Holly)

As you can see I really like this episode and I think that this is a great beginning for a great show!
  • The Bangs, the Boobs, and the One with the Crazy Eyes

After the success of their other paranormal show Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the WB commissioned a TV series centered around three sisters who discover that they are destined to be witches. Witches who protect the world from evil every week.

The first episode, entitled Something Wicca This Way Comes is a perfect introduction to the series. The three leads all seem perfectly fine with their roles and it does seem like they've known each other for years. The plotline, about a warlock killing witches, isn't exactly original but still brings up some interesting twists and shocks. The revelation that Jeremy is the warlock is a nice twist and the way he can create fire from his fingertips is a really cool special effect. Speaking of special effects, they do look slightly poor by today's standards, but back then, they looked amazing. Apart from two scenes of bad FX (the fire surrounding the sisters and Jeremy's face morphing), the rest of the effects are excellent.

A couple of annoyances: Prue is written as a moody drama queen throughout. It seems like the network didn't like Prue's pissed off attitude and had her become nicer from episode two onward. This was obviously a good decision, as she would of ended up a one-note character if she continued being angry for no apparent reason. All-in-all, this is a good introduction to the series with good performances from all the main cast and good writing from Connie Burge.

Director: John T. Kretchmer
    Writer: Constance M. Burge
    Rating: B+
  • Yeah... It's silly in a good way! I mean, come on: Three hot sisters in one house! - And, they just so happen to be witches!!

This was a really good first episode! It sets a lot of things up and (unlike some first episodes) it was interesting. However, I gave it an 8.8 for goofs/nitpicks (or trivia, as it's now called!) and the acting was as good as other episodes...

Yes, unfortunately, the acting was not very good! The actresses seemed like they were trying to adjust to their new roles, but it's okay because it would get better later one! =D

The plot was also interesting! I honestly thought that Piper's reporter boyfriend would have been on longer, but he was surprisingly evil! And, the way the sisters became (or not really because they already were) witches was believable!

All in all... everyone should see this first episode! (But I didn't see it until it came out on DVD, so go watch!!)
  • the first Charmed

Meh, a great episode for this show.
    I don’t fell like it used the potential it had, besides it had some badly written and acted moments.

But all in all, it mostly leave you for more.
    Charmed /was/ a good show about three sister witches who were chosen to protect the innocents.

The first impressions of the characters were:
    Prue: a little stickup B!tchy with bad temper, always having something against her little sister. I never connected to well with Prue somehow. She was too responsible and not always that interesting.
    Piper: Sweet sister who tries to glue her sisters together, good first impressions.
    Phoebe: Funny, fresh and flunky. The funnest of the three (for the first three years anyway)

The episode features someone who is after witches and killing them, he seems to be a good guy and the boyfriend of these witches. But the only thing he really wants it their powers.

What I don’t like about this episode was that there was way too much talking that it got a bit boring, also didn’t like the way Prue found about her powers and the way she reacted except for this line ‘No, I’m not okay. You turned me into a witch’.

Meanwhile Prue quits her job and meets this agent along, Andy. They used to know each other and begin to have feelings for each other again.

So anyway, now that they all have powers. Phoebe can look into the future, Piper can freeze time and Prue can move things with her mind (when she’s angry, she doesn’t seem to be much into her dad)

Eventually Piper’s boyfriend tries to kill her and steal her powers but the three witches do a spell together an defeat the evil guy.
    It was a nice episode, not overly interesting but it had a lot of potential and it succeeded to use some.
  • The three Sister get their powers and fight off their first Warlock.

So the eposide starts off with a Witch getting killed by a man dressed in all black. Then the screen goes to Piper running into the manor and Prue and her talk for a while and then piper tells her that Phoebe will be coming back and as soon as she says that Phoebe enters the door. Phoebe ends up getting a message from the Spirit Board, "Attic" so Phoebe goes up to the attic and then finds the Book of Shadows and says the Incantation that gives them their pre-destined powers. Piper then has to cook a sample to see if she can get hired to be the Chef at Quake. Well, she doesnt have enough time to finish her masterpiece. In a panic she ends up Freezing Time and ends up completing the food. Which in return she gets the job at Quake. Phoebe then gets a Preminiton about two kids on rollarblades getting hit by a car. She then sees the car and then swerves near the car and kids, stopping the accident from happening. Then later Phoebe and Prue are talking about the powers and stuff and then Prue was frusterated and was looking for the creamer to go into her coffee and then all of a sudden the creamer started moving across the table and filled up the cup. So, Prue has Telekonesis, Piper has the ability to stop time, and Phoebe has the power for Premonitions. Then the warlock turns out to be pipers boyfriend Jeremy, so the girls finally defet him by repeating "The Power of Three will set us free".

I really liked this eposide of charmed it, taught us alot of what the charmed ones were before they got their powers and how their lives would change for the good but it would never be the same agian.
  • Sisters 3 Become The Power of 3

Something Wicca This Way Comes-Phoebe returns to San Francisco after losing her job to live with her older sisters, Prue and Piper. During their first night together in their grandmother's house, Phoebe finds a book of witchcraft and recites an incantation that leaves the sisters three with powers they were destined to have. After the commercial and criticial success of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, TV execues soon jumped on female empowerment craze by creating other shows like Dark Angel and Alias years later. But first series to really capitalize on the Buffy premise was Charmed. A series created by the lovely Constance M. Bruge and produced by legendary TV producer Aaron Spelling, Charmed centered around lives of 3 normal, everyday sisters who would discover they were powerful witches. As the Charmed Ones, these sisters would use their magic to battle the forces of evil on a weekly basis and at the same time, try to balance demon fighting with their normal lives. Despite dreadful pilot and quick recasting of the youngest sister Phoebe, Charmed debuted in the fall of 1998 with the highest ratings for the still young network the WB with 7.7 million viewers watching the series premiere. TV magic was literally born as Charmed felt fresh and exciting!

What really works of the series premiere is how well our 3 leading ladies work so well together. Ex-90210 star Shannen Doherty is great as Prue, the eldest sister who is very strong willed and responsible for the family. Holly Marie Combs is wonderful as Piper, the well rounded and passive middle sister. Lastly, there the free-spirit trouble making youngest sister Phoebe played with a lot of energy by Alyssa Milano of "Who's the Boss" fame. There's an instant chemistry between all 3 women and you really believe they are sisters who are forced to live together again as Phoebe returns from New York. When their powers come to play the episode only gets better, as each sister discovers they're power in great ways. Prue mistakely uses her telekinesis choke her ex-fiance Roger, Piper freezes a chef while trying to get a job at Bukelands, and Phoebe gets a premonition of 2 skaters getting hit by a car. The metaphor for sisterhood is one of the series' primary premise and the revelation of being witches helps develop the characters already. One of the best scenes that does this is Prue and Phoebe's mini-agrument about their astranged father who left them which results in Prue's power hilariously causes chaos in the medicine aisle.

Piper's boyfriend, Jeremy, turning out to be a warlock is well played twist and makes for a good first villain for the sisters. The make-up that transforms his into hideous demon is quite stunning. The special effects, on the other hand are very uneven. The scene where the sisters curse Jeremy and disfigure is excellent yet the scene where Jeremy creates a circle of fire around them is horribly done. Atleast, the episode is filled with suspenseful scenes like the shocking opening teaser, the spirit board coming alive, Phoebe discovering the Book of Shadows and awakening the Charmed Ones' powers. Also supporting cast, Ted King and Dorian Gregory, are entertaining as Inspector Andy Trudeau and Inspector Darryl Morris. "Something Wicca This Way Comes" is a terrific start to this bewitching series that will have many up and downs through it's run, but it started out pretty darn well!
  • The start of something great

I have seen this episode so many times I just thought I would write a review for it. The show is now finished of course but I still enjoy watching it from time to time. The sisters are sexy the plot is amazing and the magic is something I wish I could posess. I really enjoyed watching this episode as I knew that this was going to be a very successful programme. I like that the programme doesn't just revolve around the sisters magic. They have a personal life that gives the show that edge we all know and love. This was a great first episode.
  • Prue, Piper and Phoebe become witches

This was a rather interesting pilot.

I loved the rocky relationship between Prue and Phoebe. It was great to see Piper always having to break up their almost fights and trying to get them to get a long.

It was interesting to see that they didn't really notice that they had their powers until after they had used them. I enjoyed Prue and Roger and the ink from the pen and the tie. Seeing that was amusing because she didn't even know she had done anything. I loved how Piper just randomly froze the chef when he was sampling her food. Phoebe having that vision while riding her bike was interesting as well.

It really sucked that Piper's boyfriend was the bad warlock guy here because Piper was the character that you automatically love. You wouldn't have expected him to be the bad guy either because they had been dating for some time.

I loved Andy and his partner. It was great to hear them talking about UFOs and witches and whether or not they believed in those things. They were just amazing and amusing.

I loved the relationship between Prue and Andy because it was there in the open but not there, which made it so awesome.

Seeing Prue dealing with her magical powers was great. I loved Phoebe trying to make her angry and telling her that's what made her use her powers. It was brilliant to see the aspirin fly through the drug store.

It was great to see the trio embrace their power in the end though to vanquish the evil guy. This was a pretty good start to a good series.
  • Three sisters find out that they are witches.

When Phebe comes back from New York there is a lot of tension between her and Prue. So far I know that it is some thing about some guy but its not really explained all the way about why Prue is pissed. The house they live in looks awesome, I wish I lived in a house like that. I suspected the reporter from the beginning... well after I found out he was dating Piper. The cop that Prue seems to like seems super cool and she totally should have said yes to him when he asked her out. My favorite part of the episode was when Phebe pissed off Prue in the store and she wreaked the place, lol though if that was for real somebody would have come running to see what all the noise was about. I would so be like Phebe, having powers would be awesome, though I don't think hers is all that great. Overall great start to the show!
< 1 2 3 4