Charmed

Something Wicca This Way Comes

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 1998 on The WB

• Memorable and Intriguing.

An amazing episode of Charmed that perfectly embodies what the show is all about; sisters who happen to be witches.

There are soo many aspects that I absolutely love about this episode.
    First, I love that Prue and Phoebe don’t necessarily like each other in the beginning and this brings an interesting dynamic to the show as they have to come together in order to fully embrace their powers. All the scenes in which the sisters discover their powers are special in their own way from Piper's chef exam and Prue's coffee to Pheobe saving an innocent. Shannen, Holly and Phoebe are all perfectly cast and I’m sure none of us can imagine the show without them.

The dialogue in this episode is simply great and the sister interactions are spot on. Also, I have to menton the phamacy scene in which Phoebe provokes Prue into unleashing her anger as it is simply great.

In addition, I really love the ominous and dark feeling that accompanies this episode. It just gives this creepy mood throughout especially when Jeremy is disguised as a hooded figure waiting outside the manor. Moreover, the whole series of events that lead to Phoebe discovering The Book of Shadows are expertly written and directed although Phoebe’s eagerness to become a witch is a bit unbelievable.

The only thing that annoys me about the episode is the vanquish. I just find the sisters chanting “The Power of Three will set us free” over and over again while Jeremy just stands around taunting them really corny and lame. Nevertheless, the above average effects more than make up for it (the circle of wind and fire that engulfs the sisters) although they are kind of cheap in a way I can’t explain. Anyway, that can be overlooked since the episode is quite old.

Finally, the ending is very cool like most of those of the first season possessing a certain “charm” that just makes you want to watch the next episode even though it isn't really a cliffhanger. I love the final moments in which Prue telekinetically closes the manor door. It’s an excellent ending to a wonderful episode that is definitely a favorite of mine. I just never get bored of watching this one.