Charmed

Something Wicca This Way Goes

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 22, 2005 on The WB

• Something Awesome This Way Comes

Written and filmed before the WB gave a definite answer of whether they were going to cancel or renew Charmed, Something Wicca This Way Goes feels a lot like a series finale instead of a season finale.

We jump right into the action (a lot like the opening to another classic All Hell Breaks Loose) as the sisters come to terms with what has just happened... Zankou has stolen the Book of Shadows and is planning on unleashing the Nexus beneath the manor and having it take over his body, giving him almighty power. The sisters realize that this is the most dangerous situation they've ever been in and realise that they might have to sacrifice their own lives to save the day.

The epic scale of the episode works in Charmed's favor, with every scene making you feel more and more scared for the sisters as you don't know if they'll make it out of this one alive or not. The references to old episodes and storylines are brilliant, in particular the use of Prue's old power of astral projection and a mention of Quake, the restuarant where Piper worked way back in season one. It definitely feels as if it's the final ever episode.

It's good to see Inspector Sheridan finally get what she deserves. For over a year, she has hounded the Halliwells, intent on trying to find out their secret and she finally gets her comeuppance, dying at the hands of Zankou.

Having Sheridan call in the FBI is also a good story development. The scenes where the FBI gather outside the manor aiming weapons at the Halliwell home is extremely shocking and reminiscent of All Hell Breaks Loose, in which all the witch fanatics and reporters gather outside the manor.

But, of course, there are a couple of complaints. Having all the magical creatures in the episode completely spoilt it for me. In my opinion, the fairies and nymphs and trolls and leprechauns and valkyries were some of the lamest characters they ever had on the show and having them come along to try and save the day when all they do is turn Zankou into a pig (oh, how hilarious, my sides are splitting! -cough-sarcasm-cough) and kill around 3 minions before getting killed. What a waste of time and money.

I also found that Zankou wasn't developed enough to make the audience see him as so much of a threat that the Halliwells think he is. He only appeared in seven episodes this season and he hardly did anything much worse than any other demon-of-the-week. I will at least give the writers points for trying to give Charmed a season-long "big bad". One of the failings of the show as a whole was that they hardly have any demons who last longer than one episode. The only ones I can think of were Cole (who ended up completely boring) and the Triad. Hopefully next season will feature a bigger and badder "big bad" then ever before.

Speaking of next season, where the hell will the writers go from here??? The ending, in which the sisters fake their deaths and shapeshift into three different young women to live as normal people, is original but how are they going to follow it up? Hopefully Brad Kern won't use an easy way out (memory dust, the Cleaners etc.) for the sisters to get back to how we know them best and instead put an original twist on the situation.

All-in-all, this was an absolutely amazing episode with some brilliant writing, excellent special effects and a killer twist ending. Except a few minor complaints, Something Wicca This Way Goes is the best season finale they've had since All Hell Breaks Loose and throws up loads of questions for next year.

Roll on season eight!
  • This episode had to be the best finale since the third season's ending.

I thought this episode had to be one of the most suspenseful Charmed plots I've seen.

The entire episode had me thinking if they were going to make it out alive. Seeing Piper saying goodbye to Wyatt and Chris was really sad. I couldn't believe it when they destroyed the Nexus and Zankou with them being killed in the process.

I thought it was very clever how they created their new identities and faking their deaths.

I also liked how Darryl saw them walking away and immediately knew they were alright. Plus when they thanked Prue and making it look like she shut the door for the final time.
  • THE ENDING THAT NEVER WAS

The ending that never was

Another cracker from Brad Kern. Love him or hate him, you have to admit he does write some storming instalments. There's stacks of action in this one and, with it being the season finale, you really do feel anything could happen.

With Zankou controlling both the Manor and the Book, and with most of the world's police lined up outside, the whole hour has a dark inevitability which hasn't been seen since Charmed and Dangerous. Seeing the girls say goodbye to their father really brings this home. And what an ending! Writing an episode which may or may not have been the last ever was always going to be tough but Brad's solution leaves the door ajar just enough for the sisters to be able to come back. That last scene, with Darryl watching as the Charmed Ones walk away from their old lives, is a classic.

As this might have been the last episode, there were always bound to be plenty of retro moments. Phoebe's mention of Quake has to be the best, and the astral projection is a nice nod to Prue. On the downside, the effects are kind of average and we are forced to endure yet more ridiculous magical creatures, although seeing so many of them die is rather satisfying. As for Zankou turning into a pig, I'm just going to pretend that never happened.

The Homeland Security plot works well, and creates some useful threads for Season Eight. After a year and a half of tormenting the Charmed Ones, Inspector Sheridan finally gets her comeuppance when she is zapped by Zankou. Showing her demise through her own hidden camera is very cool and just a little freakish.

I'm so glad Darryl gets to go out on a high. Dorian Gregory has been one of the unsung heroes of this show and it's great to see him so involved in his final week. He even gets the last line. Charmed will never be the same again. Final body count for the season stands at an impressive 119, comprising 98 demons, 13 vampires, 6 pirates, 1 half-demon and 1 mortal. Of these, 58 are vanquished by the Charmed Ones, 21 by Leo, 9 by Zankou and 31 by various others.

Seven down, one to go!

Score: 9.5
  • When the sisters try to divert Zankou's attention from the Nexus, he hatches a plan to absorb all their powers.

This episode was so amazing. It was an amazing seventh season finale. I enjoyed watching this episode so much. It seemed so much like a series finale. It was very well written. I loved this episode so much. The ending was just perfect. The sisters were under their new identities, and everyone thought they were dead, but they really weren't. But now demons don't know who they are, nor do people. It was perfect. I loved it. This episode alone could have gotten the show another seven seasons, but didn't. It still had a good run, though. This episode is one of the many great installments to this amazing series.
  • A season finale to remember...

This episode offers more than I have ever even expected!
    I mean it's sooo original, so authentic, so emotional..
    I was really sad that the sisters thought they're going to die, the way they were making plans to vanquish Zankou with the Nexus.
    I really cried hard when Piper was saying goodbye to her sons (question: why does Victor get to keep the boys and the manor and the club? Doesn't it make sense that Leo will take care of the boys and live in the manor, possibly even manage the club?)
    All in all, great episode, great acting, great season final, I can't wait to download season 8!
  • The ending of the Charmed line, the start of a revelation, the begining of the new generation. The Halliwell sisters accomplish more than enough in this heart-pounding season finale.

Personally I think the sister handled the sitch, quite well, granted there were several noticable errors with continuity in this show, for example the astral projection spell, which I didn't buy for a second.

This episode made the show what it was meant to be. The part of this episode that pulled on my heart strings, was Piper relinqishing custody of her children and the deeds to the club and house and their bank accounts to Victor, that alone made this episode a tear jerker.

Trying to incorperate Prue was nice and all but an actual appearance would have been better. I like the portrayal of emotion in this episodes, Holly, Alyssa and Rose really showed me what acting is all about.

The girls made television history in this one so they get 10 Kudos!

10/10!
  • This is the episode that changed everything!

This episode was really amazing! It goes from being cute to funny to gut-wrenching without missing a beat. I think that my favorite scene from this episode was when Piper and the girls had to leave the boys with Victor, and explain to their father that they may not be coming back. Holly Marie Combs does such a wonderful job of acting as a true mother to those boys. You can almost see her heart trully break when she has to leave them with their grandfather. This is such a fun show and is great for loght entertainment, but it can make you cry to. That is what I love about it.
  • I'll give it a 9 because it's a season finale and not a series finale.

It definitely earns my interest for next season, but had it been the final episode ever I would have been so disappointed. There wasn't nearly enough closure for me. I need to see Phoebe settle down and have that baby she envisioned, and I want to see Paige settle down with someone she can practice magic with. And I also want to know what happens to the boys... did they save Wyatt from his evil future? I want a peek a boo into the future that the Charmed Ones have created. Ending it now would just be mean! The episode was intersting but it did have a hurried sense. There were so many references to the past, in case it was the series finale. I just can't wait to see what's next!
  • Zankou and the Nexus... and mutual destruction.

Thank God for Season 8. Yes, it may have had its rough spots, but it ended the right way. I couldn't imagine Charmed if the series ended with this episode instead of the superior in every way Forever Charmed. The best thing about this episode, besides the name, is the best thing about this season- Zankou. I am a big Oded Fehr fan, and his Zankou will remain the best demon, besides Cole, from Charmed. It is actually a shame that we never see him again, but at least he goes out in a blaze of glory and at least he takes Sheridan out before he goes. As usual, I find the entire exposure plot involving homeland security lame and preposterous. But it does end with Sheridan's demise, so it has that going for it. And excuse me, but isn't this a role reversal for Darryl's wife? Wasn't she always the one that said he had to protect the sisters and the greater good? Why the complete change?

I agree that the Darryl plot ended well, anyway. It was great to see an important character like him get a happy send off.

Frankly, the whole plot of this episode makes a lot more sense if it HAD been the final episode, as much as that would suck. What was the sense of faking their deaths if Wyatt and Chris are still alive to get threatened by demons? And again, what happened to the greater good? Screw that, I guess.

Great scene when Piper says good bye to her children. I was very moved. Good bye to a great bad guy in Zankou. Apparently the Nexus wasn't too important since the sisters go all Season 8 without it.
  • OMG, the series finale, no wait it isn't but it should have been.

What an excellent season finale, the third best after 'All Hell Breaks Loose' and 'Kill Billie Vol. 2/Forever Charmed'. The ending was phenomenal, it really was, I mean seeing the Nexus and Zankou blow up was amazing, seeing them in different identities was fun and everyone thinking their dead was a shocker.

When the sisters try to divert Zankou's attention from the Nexus, he hatches an ingenious plan to absorb all of their powers. However, when the girls realize what Zankou is up to, (I mean come on, they're not stupid) they are forced with a life-altering decision: sacrifice their powers or their lives.
  • brilliant.

zankou has the book of shadows and he wants to kill the sisters with it. this episode is one of the best in charmed 8 year run. It's exciting and the writing was also very good and when they were in the house you actually thought they were going to die.

This was the best and most exciting episode of season 7 and it is re-watchable. I hace watched it at least 5 times and i am still not bored with it. This was a great season finale.

overall: This is a really good episode of charmed and most people who watch it will enjoy it.
  • The most exciting and dramatic episode since all hell breaks loose!!!

WOW! This was one of the best episodes ever! From the very beginning when it left off from the last episode when they orb in to magic school tto the end when they go off to start their seemongly demon free lives! But I have to say I was a bit worried with then thinking this was the end of our three fav actresses!! But of course I was wrong!!! It was great seeing them having to take drastic measures to stop zankou even if that means destroyng the nexus! This part was oneof the greatest vanquishes in the show!!! Even if this was the series not season finale I would definatley be satisfied!!!
  • A well done performance. Luckily it wasnt their last!

You have to agree this is the best charmed episode throughout its entire series. It was also one of the saddest episode especially when piper was saying goodbye to her dad and sons. i like every1 else enjoyed to use of the astral projection too.
    Cant wait to see how the next season continues.
  • What I liked about this episode and what I didn't like about it, in other words, a TRUE fans opinion.

I love this show and I think that this episode was an excellent twist, yet made all of us fans a little...uneasy in believing that the real actors and actresses would come back to play their roles. Many of us were a bit nervous that new people would come and take over the show and that is not what we want. It was sad to see Piper say goodbye to her sons for now but it was also nice to see that she looked happy when she changed Leo's identity because this was what they had been fighting for. The Elders were jackasses in cutting off all contact with them, but they sort of had a right to. I was literally falling out of my seat when the cops were surrounding the house. And, how could Shelia (Darryl's wife) be so emotionless when Leo practically begged for Darryl's help??? She knew who they were and what they did, didn't she want the world to be a better place for her own sons?!?! All I'm saying, is...in the new season, they better erase everyone's memories, at least have a visit from Prue or Penny or Patty, and Piper and Leo better be reunited with their children, and also...the biggest thing of all...everything must go back to the way it was-charmed style.
    xoxoxo
    ~NikNik~
  • Would it be so bad if the sisters changed?

I know that we are all mad about the fact that the girls changed to different people. But would it be so bad? I mean, for a while I hated Paige because she wasn't Prue and I loved Prue as a Charmed One. I like her now. I know that the real Charmed Ones are coming back because the producer signed them up and all but really...at least were not stuck with those bimbos from The Power of Three Blondes...Lol.
  • One of the few well written episodes this season.

I have not had goosebumps watching Charmed since all hell breaks loose. And yet, this could-have-been-a-series-finale Episode was everything i ever imagined.
    You can feel the actual danger, the sisterly love, the magic, the stakes and the final battle. Bravo Brad Kern for writing such a great finale. I applaud the actresses too.
  • When the sisters try to divert Zankou's attention from the Nexus, he hatches a plan to get all their powers. When they find out what he is up to they are forced to sacrifice their powers or their lives.

Awesome episode. Very good for a seaon finale! One of the best season finales of Charmed. The funniest part was when Zankou was transformed into a pig! Lol! The sisters plan was good to defeat Zankou. Very good idea when they faked their own deaths and that Darryl new in was them when he saw them but they were different. Very cool when Zankou fired an energyball and the sisters moved at of the way and it went threw the roof and when they vanquish him its like a big explosion. I love this episode and think it was a great ending.
  • The season 7 finale - Oh what a great ending it was.

The final battle with Zankou, continued from the last episode, bring the Charmed Ones facing Zankou and their own Nexus. After stealing the Book of Shadows, he uses it to steal the sisters' powers, but after a few attempts, only managed to take 2 powers. The sisters then learn from Prue how to Astral Project, and use this as well as the spell "To Banish a Suxen", the get rid of Zankou and the Nexus forever. Unscathed, the girls escape, free from anymore supernatural demons, as they are believed to be dead by the world. It was a fantastic episode. It ended up being a season finale but almost a series finale too. It did go on for the eigth and final season, which wasn't bad at all. But this season finale would have been less appropriate to leave everything off due to the fact that it presented many loose ends. The acting was perfect, and Piper's witty comedic quotes, especially the "fireball" one were, as always, fantastic. The whole episode was a great experience. It was very well written with suspense in mind...
  • Made me cry!

When Piper was saying goodbye to her boys, I cried like a baby! I thought for sure that the sisters were going to die. Excellent episode. I hope they make a lot more, but with the original actresses. I just don\'t know how they are going to pull it off.
  • If it's a great season finaleXd At Last a entire episode of fight! Great ideas and scenes! It's not boring at all! So not-stop! But if this would have been the show finale...show...what a bad episode then...no??

Despite the fact that It could have been better... this episode deserves a good rate for the fine example as a season finale! The work was well done, there's not a boring scene at all!

Camera Job: This episode has a really special scenes (When the vampires came down a attack the girls, when they get the book again, etc...) we have a thing that never has been done before in Charmed (At least no with this intention)... Movement Cameras!! We can see it the first scene in magic school! (This cameras are not "fixed" so they image keep moving while there're shooting! That makes the audience get nuts!! and nervous!! so you can be relax at the scene. Those kinds of movements are so caracteristic id "24"! Xd) Acting job: Well done, Piper had to say good bye to her children... It's a great scene! And Zankou did it so well!!

Other things: The effects were great! The SWAT! people! The SWAT! Isn't that so great to a finale!!! and the explosion... was a original idea!

The bad thing... The freaky *** fairys.... (Wouldn't have been a great season finale with a extreme killing of all fairies in the world Xd...??? I would do it!! Xd) At least they could have done a better fairy more like the wicca ones! Not a pink one! It sounds such a little girl!! And the astral proyection and the glamour thing... To much, I think... They could never do that that way... "Thank Prue teach Leo how to do it..." When I hear that...gets my nerve. It's as if they say "thank god Piper showed Leo how to blo things up!!!" It so so so silly! It was her power, they should do it that way (or at least no say that prue teach it!) And how the ** the can glamour!!??

To end... A great episode, a great story!! A great season finale.

PD: I think this episode as serie finale would have been so wrong, the charmed ones ignoring the inocents lifes! "let them die..." i think they never could do that! And a a serie finale was so...slow, weak! A serie must end with something bigger!!!
  • A very nice series ending – or so I thought! Full closure with room for a nice spin-off.

I was surprised to find out there was going to be a season 8! After watching this episode, I really thought the series was over – at least as we knew it. All of the major dangling plot lines are well taken care of, and there is character closure to allow everyone to get back to a tension free life. If the series was ending, this was a great way to do it.

I did wonder, because the show was so popular, what kind of spin-off there may be. There are the adventures of the Wyatt and Chris as a possible show. Perhaps Charmed: The Next Generation with all new actors (the all-blond sisters).

So now I am actually torn about the next season. I mean I have enjoyed this series, but it actually felt kind of nice to have everything tied up. And the sister’s constant whining about wanting ordinary lives was getting on my nerves.
  • Judging by the season seven finale, it is safe to say that Charmed is getting back on its feet.

Finally Charmed has been able to surprise me like it did in the early years. The season finale for season seven was the best one I\'ve seen since season 3, and that\'s where Charmed actaully started going downhill - Angels of Destiny, Greek Gods and Identical Evil Twins didn\'t particularly impress me. But when I saw the season finale I was really happy and surprised to see a plot twist, one that was actually planned and well thought out. The best part was that the episode was able to deliver two things: A sense of closure to the series, but also a longing to know what happens next. This I thought was a very clever idea as it suited watever situation the show was going to face (being picked up or not for an eighth season), and I\'m glad that it was, because if the episodes stay as good as the finale, Charmed will be back on it\'s feet in no time.
  • After a season in continual decline, a series classic episode is born.

Either this seventh season was less than charming or I am over-rating this episode, but I fell in love with this episode, Something Wicca This Way Goes. I had become very discouraged this season after episodes with dragons coming to life and people shrunken inside a doll house. I started to question the quality of the show for serious. I had been aware of the decline since the 4th season (their last great season) and wondered if the show had really gotten this silly. Lucky, this episode is serious and original. Zanku is a powerful demon and the most fearful, I believe, since Belthazar. Unfortunately, Zanku didn't look original or threatening. His attempt to harness the power of the nexis was well written with few flaws and was pleasing to view. I love how Leo has become non-magical and feel this opens a new door for his character. I felt his feeling of loss when he didnt know what happened to the sisters during the fire. I felt his attraction to his dad role and his children. Know that the sisters have left Wyatt and Chris with their father and the sisters faked their own death, I am interested in seeing the next season.
  • Is it over is this the end?? Hope not.

This had me thinkin it might be the end for the charmed ones but all in all it was a great episode, better then some i've seen. It really made you kinda nervous to see if they continued the season or not. Some people aren't very glad they did continue, while others (like me) are glad that they did. It was a great episode.
  • Something Wicca This Way Goes

Something Wicca This Way Goes was a superb season 7 finale of Charmed and it also felt as if it could have been a series finale. I really enjoyed watching because the story continues from the last episode now that Zankou has the Book of Shadows and Homeland Security is closing in on the sisters. There was a lot of character and plot development as the story was well written. There were a few interesting surprises and turn of events. The ending was interesting and had a feel good vibe to it. I look forward to watching the 8th and final season!!!!!!!
  • An excellent episode and well worth the wait (I missed the original airing)

Although I missed the original airing of the season finale, I do believe it was well worth the wait. The episode was a classic nail-biter, and I truly was worried with Zankou's vanquish at the end. I didn't notice any sign of Paige orbing them out and thought that either the writers didn't want that included or had some other plans for the sisters. You could imagine my relief with the glamming at the end. And Darryl's reaction was classic, if not well-received. At least he doesn't have to go home thinking that people he'd grown so close to have died.
    The loss of Inspector Sheridan didn't bother me as much as I thought it might. Something about her had always...set me off. She seemed not so much interested in the sisters as it was getting whatever personal attention she could manage.
    The line she'd used about wanting to be the one to bring the sisters down really upset me. If others disagree, so be it. The Halliwells fought on the side of good since day one, but law enforcement saw them as dangerous.
    One question that arose. Even though they "died" in the manor, what happened to the Book? Also, why didn't the Cleaners get involved with the situation?
    Either way, the sisters have done well to cover their tracks, even without the Cleaners getting involved. I just hope that this whole sequence isn't what destroyed Wyatt.
    If I recall correctly, Chris had mentioned when he had traveled back in time that some event had so upset Wyatt that he turned to evil. I'm just hoping that the apparent loss of his mother wasn't it, otherwise the lives of these people is going to be one really vicious and undesired time loop.
  • how come suddenly all the sisters can astral project? let me begin by saying that I really love this episode. so why did i only give it 8? I\'ll explain:

first of all, if you compare it to the 3rd season finale, i think it is not as good as everyone says.

second, i was really disappointed from the astral projection trick. it seems like an easy getaway for kern, and it doesn\'t really add up:

in a previous episode of season 4, phoebe astral projected with a potion, so they already knew how to use it without the help of leo or prue. kern just wanted an excuse to use prue\'s name, because he couldn\'t deliver the real thing.

because shannon would\'nt come back (which really upsets me, couldn\'t she do an act of kindness for her fans ?) in one episode kern changed the rules of the charmed world that we know - each witch has her own power and becasue of their strong connection the sisters can channel each other\'as power (like in sense and sense ability). but this wasn\'t the case. suddenly all witches can astral project if they want !? and if so, can they master that ability in one episode? it took prue a whole season to control her new power.

and another thing to think about - if it so easy to use astral projection, the sisters could have use it all the time when fighting demons - think how much safer it is :-)
    maybe the could retire to a resort, and astral project themselves from now on...

pphhhlease...

the whole thing doesn\'t make any sense, and that is why i think the episode deserves only 8. i hope that the upcoming real show final will be much better and will be faithful to the show\'s 8 years narrative.
    This review has been deleted.
  • What about the boys? Will the girls be back?

I wonder what will come of the boys in the next season and if the girls ( alyssa, rose and holly) will be back or will these girls take over the series. I had read last year that there was talk of a spinoff series. Maybe that is what they meant or maybe the cleaners will clean it up again.
  • Don't get me wrong - I liked it, but this and the last episode took way too long to get anywhere, and for what might have been the last episode ever, it didn't deliver as much as it could have.

I know the writer was in a bit of a bind, not being sure whether the series would continue and having to come up with something that would make a neat ending if it didn't, but could be manipulated to go on with the story if it did. However, there is something lacking in the whole finale - including the previous episode. It just seems to take an awfully long time to get where it's going and there are a lot of inconsistencies. The reason the book was able to be taken was because the sisters doubted themselves - yet once they realised what was going on that doubt disappeared. They seemed pretty confident to me about what they were doing, even if they didn't know exactly how they'd do it. And in previous episodes, when some evil thingy has managed to get hold of the book it still couldn't leave the house because it was connected to that too.

And Zankou just takes far too long to actually DO anything. Sure there are fights and all that good stuff, which is great, but having absorbed the Nexus, only to have it cast out of him, he seems to think that spending a lot of time trying to get the witches powers is the only way to go. He doesn't need those powers to take the Nexus, he could have easily have used the power-stripping spell from the book, which is miraculously still in there despite having supposedly been destroyed a couple of seasons back.

And when he is tricked by their astral projections - despite having Phoebe's power, which is supposed to help him know what the witches are planning - he doesn't just zap to the attic - no he gives them time to get there, look for a spell (which they don't seem to find before the SWAT teams arrive that they spend ages staring down at despite more pressing matters) and only then turns up to blast a hole in the ceiling and roof, giving the Charmed Ones somehow time to find a place to hide and sleep so they can astrally project again, trick him again and blow up the basement.

And that 'huge' explosion doesn't even damage the flower beds!

No, it was good and it was exciting in places, and the touching scene with dad when they think they might not make it back is a nice tough. But overall it ended with a fairly loud whimper when it needed a great big bang.

< 1 2 3