Charmed

Something Wicca This Way Goes

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 22, 2005 on The WB

• Something Crappy Gets Even Worse

4.5
    A very overrated episode, "Something Wicca This Way Goes" is one which looks good on paper but was ultimately ruined by Brad Kern's style of writing coupled with his unnecessary need to tone down what he sees as dark, with some pointless magical creatures, which is what he thinks the audience would have loved to remember, and a pig.

Both Combs and McGowan work wonders with the material they're given. Holly's absolutely heartbreaking as she says her goodbyes to her boys and Rose crying too makes for an excellent scene which brings back some memories of last season's finale "It's A Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad World Parts 1 and 2." Alyssa however, doesn't put any emotion forward in this scene and it really spoils the mood when the camera goes into a close-up on her face.

Zankou had been the best villain since Cole during his appearances on six previous episodes. However, his constant need for The Nexus (which had already been done countless times) to destroy the Charmed Ones, as well as the fact that it took him so long to get from Magic School to The Manor and that he couldn't sense that the Charmed Ones were in astral mode sort of spoiled his character and this being his final appearance, there was no way they could have fixed it up. They may seem like tiny nitpicks but in my book, they really count.

The only other scene, apart from the aforementioned goodbye scene, which was undeniably well written was the ending. I just loved it and it would have been a perfect send off. However, these two scenes alone couldn't save the episode. If Kern had stayed off the magical creatures (vampires included), had taken more care whilst writing about Zankou and had maybe gone a little darker, this episode might have been a whole lot better.

With all that said, I must however say that I wish the series had ended here. I've already said that I loved the ending and I would have probably loved it a whole lot more if it had truly been the end. After this episode, there can only be more of a downhill. Season 8 never truly delivers with the possible exception of "The Jung And The Restless" and seems weak and slow, and the finale, "Forever Charmed," was light years worse than this.