Charmed

Still Charmed & Kicking

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 2005 on The WB

• Still Charmed & Kicking

Still Charmed & Kicking was a good episode of Charmed and I enjoyed watching as the Sisters continue to maintain their cover and pretend to be cousins. I liked how demons wasted no time trying to gain control of the manor from Victor. Paige struggles to reconcile her new life and identity with who she really is. A mysterious kick a$$ warrior witch makes an appearance and saves lives a few times. It looks like this season is going to be a little crazy. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!
  • Still Charmed and Tacky

5.5

Still Charmed and Kicking-After being presumed dead, the Halliwell sisters begin their demon-free existence with new identities: Phoebe is overwhelmed with visions of her future husband; Paige begins hearing her whitelighter call, which draws her to a mysterious young witch; Piper attempts to deal with her financial situation, the club and her children. Meanwhile, a brash young demon decides that he wants the Halliwell manor as a trophy and plots to kill Victor to get to it.

So.....after what should have been the series finale in Season 7, The WB at the time decided "hey this show making us some good money, why not renew it for one more time and suck the life out of it even more!" Thus we have Season 8, the worst season of the series, possibly one of the worst season of television history! How else to you explain the unbearable void of quality this season has? Thanks to Brad's special deal with The WB to make this happen, the budget for the series was cut in half, Leo is only present for only 10 episodes this year, Darryl was completely dropped from the series....and worst of all, Billie! Yes, the character that pretty muchsolidifiedthis season's badness! How else do you explain her beyond laughable debut in this premiere with her tacky costume? Looking like a cross between a Matrix reject and a prostitute, every scene with Billie in this episode (and the next) sees her doing some cheap moves and spewing out corny one-liners backed by a cheesy soundtrack like she's supposedly some badass or something when I all I do is turn away from the screen. I honesty find it hard to believe that this random, new witch can effectively hunt and kill demons is she barely knows what a witch is in the first place yet the writers make it seem like being a witch is piece of cake!

The episode is actually not as bad as I remember it. The family moments with the sisters, Leo, Victor and Grams are actually pretty good. It's nice to know the new identities the sisters are taking on won't we easy and is already showing some consequences like Wyatt not being able to tell who is mother is when Piper's in disguise. I loved how each sister handles their new life differently, Paige hears the cries of a new charge and doesn't know whether to expose herself orignorethe call while Piper is having seconds thoughts, worried about the consequences and Phoebe is all to excited to start a life a new! It's really ironic considering Phoebe was the most embracing of being a witch back in the early years, sure a lot has changed since then and so has Phoebe (not in a good way), but it's bittersweet moment knowing the fact. Grams of course is unhappy about the girls' decision, in a rare scene where we see her and Paige bonding. Though is makes me wonder, if Grams knows, then how come the Elders don't? How exactly did the sisters "cloak"themselvesfrom higher beings like the Elders? Speaking of them, I love the scene where Victor stands up to one of the Elders when they decide to take the Wyatt and Chris away from him. It's a strong moment for Victor, showing just how much he's changed since he left the sisters when he was younger. This is a man committed to his family now and will do whatever it takes to protect them. I also liked the moment were Wyatt (who turns out to be Piper) unleashes his powers on a new breed of demons trying to kill Victor. It's a great SFX sequence watching Piper blowing up demons and freezing energy balls all over the place, just showing how powerful she is. Though I have to wonder this sudden glamouring power Piper and Phoebe have are kinda random. I'm sure it's just a glamouring spell that mimics Paige's glamouring power but the way they do it all the time is kinda annoying. Anyway, the demon plot is not worth mentioning, just know the main demon of the week finds out the Charmed Ones are alive, leading into next episode. Not to mention, Jason Lewis's debuts as another spot in Phoebe's lists "one shot love interests" as Dex. More on that non-relationship new episode. All and All, 'Still Charmed and Kicking" is an overall mediocre opening with some good family scenes but weak villains, a horrible debut by Billie and nagging plot points.

• Error in show

5.2
    There is big mistake in this episode. Pheobe is having premonitions and Piper (glamored as Wyatt) is freezing and blowing up demons. I just have one question. How did Pheobe and Piper get their powers back? Zankou took their powers at the end of last season. I read in the TV Guide that they were going to have to earn back their powers but as yesterday's epidode proved they already have them.
  • Terrible. Terrible, TERRIBLE! how this ridiculous show has lasted this long is simply unbelievable. Shows like buffy, angel, friends, firefly, trucalling are off the air, but this piece of garbage is still on. a disgrace to television everywhere. a true

0.1
    this show went from pretty darn good the first ~5 years to painful to watch the last 2ish years. silly stuff like nymphs and trolls and mermaids and mummies, and terribly written lines, delivered by decent yes, unbelievably attractive actresses is the entire 2 years summed up. NOTHING has happened, nothing ground breaking, NOTHING, and this year starts off the same. handsome guys, revealing dresses and predictable, half witted plots.

i truly hope this show is taken off the air before it can sink any lower.
  • The Three [fresh] Faces of the Halliwells

As season premieres go...No, wait...as season premieres of Charmed go, this one isn't half bad. After such a fantastic end to season seven, the execs at the WB felt that they could milk a bit more from this supernatural cash cow, with a few notable changes, of course: a slashed budget, a new, fresh-faced Wicca, and more emphasis on the sisters, as opposed to magic.

To be perfectly honest with you, Brad Kern manages to meet these requests quite admirably: the girls are trying to reconfigure their demon-free lives (by going shopping, of course! Nothing says 'hello, new life' like a new pair of shoes!); the FX work is actually pretty effective and used sparingly enough, and this mysterious kick-ass Wicca certainly ticks off the intriguing column for the time being (the cheesy music and questionable outfit only adding to the entertainment value).

The arcs that are set in place could have been stronger (Phoebe sees herself marrying a complete stranger; Paige can't stop hearing a ringing noise in her head; and Piper...is just there). The main one, of course, is that the Charmed Ones are considered deceased. Fineto. Six Feet Under.

Phoebe comes up with a spell that allows them to project a false image of their desired look to the outside world (save for loved ones, like Wyatt and Chris) so that they can pretend to be cousins of the Halliwells, which is a neat idea, but I have one gripe: the actresses playing our leads at the beginning of the episode absolutely NAIL Piper and Phoebe, so it's a pity that we have new versions, which look nothing like our gals (which, I suppose, IS the point: but, c'mon, what's with the hair -- Piper's hair is down, but her projection's is up, and Phoebe's is the exact opposite).

It's a frilly-nilly episode, but it certainly manages to focus on the Halliwell family, which is more than welcomed. And not just the sisters, but Grams and Victor share reasonable screen-time -- something I'd like to see more of. Light-hearted fun, but perhaps a little too exposition heavy for its own good.
  • The Charmed Ones deal with their new identities and still fighting evil. Starring: Alyssa Milano, Rose McGowan, and Holly Marie Combs as "Piper", Kaley Cuoco, Brian Krause

The Charmed Ones return for their eighth and final season, and they started out with a bang. The Charmed Ones assuming one identity seperate from their own but allowing their family such as Wyatt (guest stars Kristoffer and Jason Simmons) and Victor (guest star James Read). I liked the idea and it was a smart solution to the problem at hand. I loved how Paige (Rose McGowan) came in as Janice Dickinson (guest starred as herself) for her funeral. It was fantastic and a real funny moment to how much Paige really never got out. Paige continued to get a call from her charge showed that even though the Charmed Ones have a different identity they will never fully get away from their magical lives. The character of Billie Jenkins (Kaley Cuoco) was introduced in this episode and i liked how she was strong but u definitely could tell that she did not have much experience. I also enjoyed the whole Alias thing that she had going on, it was cool. Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) meets another love interest Dex (guest star Jason Lewis). I don't like how Phoebe can never manage to keep a man. She just goes through them like tissues and i thought that some from previous seasons should have stuck, and the only real relationship she had on the show was Cole (former star Julian McMahon). The way the Charmed Ones fought and defeated the demon was fantastic. It was clever, something that i believe makes the Charmed Ones more than just a physical fight, like we have seen many times before. The idea was fantastic and i think that putting Piper (Holly Marie Combs) in the line of fire was great. Brian Krause also stars as Leo.
  • WHAT'S MY NAME AGAIN?

What's my name again?

Wow! Much better than expected. After reading all the gripes and moans about Season Eight I was expecting something along the lines of "A Call to Arms" but this is excellent. Like my favourite season opener, "Charmed Again", the sisters are trying to piece their lives together following a family upheaval. Brad Kern hangs a number of clever subplots off this: Victor has taken ownership of the house and is targeted by demons, Paige complains to Grams that she has no life outside magic, Phoebe foresees her own wedding and a strange chick clad in PVC makes an appearance.

While I know Billie becomes something of a hate figure later in the season, you can't deny she is good value at this early stage. Is she a demon? Is she a witch? Intriguing stuff. It's also about time we had TK back as a power - four years without seeing weapons flying into someone's grasp is way too long on a supernatural show. I thought the outfit and the music were great fun, and added a little light relief to the story.

Considering the budget cuts we've all heard so much about, the effects are very good this week. A lot of effort has gone into the vanquishes, with some of the demons turning to bones through the flames. Neat touch! The scenes with the mirrors also work well, with no obvious goofs and some excellent editing. There are also some reasonable guest slots (this episode has more actors credited than any other). I've no idea who Janice Dickinson is so that was completely lost on me!

The fight scenes are well directed and have a pace which has been lacking lately - makes me realise how much we miss Phoebe's kicking and levitating. I particularly liked Piper disguising herself as Wyatt. Very cool idea and totally brilliant to watch. I'm also impressed they managed to get the little guy to do something other than stand there in silence - it probably took heaven knows how many attempts to get right but it really works.

For the first time in a while I really can't wait to see the next episode. Bring it on!

Score: 9.4
  • The exact reason I watch this series is because it is so unpredictable.

I am an impressed viewer. I feel that this show brings the drama and excitement to our daily lives as viewers. They kick ass as good witches! I really feel that Charmed is incredibly intense and spiritual. Can you imagine having to vanquish demons all day and work, then find time to sleep? I can barely find time to cook. I just have to say I really love this show, and have all 8 seasons on DVD at home. Currently I am up to Season 7, and totally loving it! Well back to Charmed for now. Phoebe, Paige, and Piper are the best!
    Thanks,
    Sachi25
  • The Charmed Ones has been presumed dead, but they can still kill demons...

The first episode in the eighth season. After the season seven finale, I thought there's no new season anymore, obviously I'm wrong. GOOD EPISODE, love it.

Piper Halliwell and Phoebe Halliwell attend their funeral to see what people respond (and of course they hide their identity), they suddenly, Janice Dickinson shows up, turns up to be Paige Matthews.

Later on, Paige gets those "ring" in her head, her whitelighters power. Victor Benneth, father of Piper and Phoebe, meets a demon who wants to take over the house. Victor finds out he is in danger and the sisters help to protect him. First, Piper turns into baby Wyatt and used her power to kill the demons, but she accidenly warned the demons that the Charmed Ones may be alive.
  • Since when does Paige not have any friends?

Since when did Paige not have any friends? They changed her character so drastically since they introduced her in season 4 and not really for the better. Some parts of this episode were so random and it wasn't exactly original, although I did like it, which is why Malice in Wonderland got rated better than this one.

It isn't one of those episodes that sticks in your mind, I have already forgotten what happened ;)

Basically the sisters funeral is held and the only magical beings that attend are the leprechauns. The demons come to check they are truly dead. Even the elders believe they are dead, but the thing is, can't the elders see and hear everything? Wouldn't they hear the plotting and see the sisters transform? Anyway the demons (some random ones, who knows..) want to steal the manor so they threaten the girls dad. We are introduced to "billie" who saves the day. Hmm.

B but glad to see a season 8!
  • LOVE IT!

I absolutley love this episode! It funny and exciting at the same time. They throw different things at you besides just all demons (which isnt bad:) but it was soo funny when paige turned herself into Janice DIckenson! these girls are the best! As many looks as they tried out, they were never as pretty as their original selves. I really miss this show and wish they would come out with a surprise episode or a movie! I also like the fact that they brought in another person (billie) however, im still undecided if i like her acting or not, she is def. outshined by the Paige, Piper and Phoebe.
  • Too much to me to handle! It's so not Charmed! Still Charmed? I don't think so...

It's too much! It's a story that wanna be original but it's not!

Billie is introduced but... she is not like she should be! And the costume thing is patetic! Is not a good thing! At least they did a scene in a cinema set that is kinda a good one! Anyway, the manor scene is not!!! The girls didn't do anything! The music when Billie is shown is... you know...anoying!

The story of the sisters is... weird! I don't get it! They have a purpose, and they cannot abandon it! Paige is the only one that seems to remember it!

The only thing that make this episode survive is the camera job and the photography! The off-screen work is a good one so the episode has a good look!
  • After being presumed dead, the Halliwell sisters begin their demon-free existence with new identities: Phoebe is overwhelmed with visions of her future husband; Paige begins hearing her whitelighter call, which draws her to a mysterious young witch.

The beginning of season 8. Very good! I love Billie in this and that she dresses in all black and at the end she is a normal school girl. That was an awesome flip she did. Season 8 is really good so far. I wish Darryl was still there. They mention Glen after all this time! Wow! I thought he was done with. I guess not.

• it was a great start to a great season :D

The charmed ones are back and better than ever in there new season. The witches are in hiding with new identites faking their own deaths. paige is sad to see that she hadn't much friends except the leprachauns at her "funeral"... phoebe sees a stange man at her "funeral" and pipers glad that her fighting days are over, well thats what she thinks it was an exciting episode after the dramatic end in season 7 and im happy to see charmed "still charmed and kicking" .
  • Okay, why did they need to introduce someone less mature than Phoebe when she first came on the scene?

2.1
    Sorry, I just cannot accept that adding a teenager to the show was the way to save it. Here Piper is a mother of two. Two boys that are very magical. Phoebe already has been married and divorced. She has been around the block...a few times. Then there is Paige, she is an adopted child and has to learn the Craft fast since she is three seasons, I mean years, behind.

So, we need a co-ed? Really!? The end is near...oh, that is from another show.

I am glad that Piper is suspicious. Yes, Phoebe appreciates that she is an athlete...
  • i love the fact that they brought back charmed now ppl who loved it can watch it for another season i personaly have nearly all of the sesons i just need 7,8 which they both come out this yr if any person wanna talk about it add me shynea_13_@hotmail.com.

chaarmed has taste and is very interesting not just the demon and warlock killing etc.. it\'s about the relation ships they go throught just to get where they are they over come so much and they are still standing after 8 years i say bring on another 10 years of it i want my children and there children\'s children to wacth it and enjoy it as much as i do i love it if any one loves it and loves talking about it just add me to your msn\'s if you have an account it is shynea_13_@hotmail.com please feel free to write back to me
  • Excellently opened

As the start of the eighth and final season, this was expected to be something different, something special, never before seen on Charmed.

With the whole of San Fransisco mourning the loss of Piper, Phoebe and Paige, the Charmed Ones have to set up a new life, free of demons and the police/FBI. To do this, they need disguises, but with police inspectors/FBI agents still hanging around, and Paige still hearing her charges's calls, it's difficult to stay inconspicuous, especially when nobody, not even your family and sisters knows who you are.

A spell fixes this, but once again, the Charmed Ones are dragged back to demon fighting.

No the best way to open the final season, but a way to open it none the less.
  • Charmed has always been a little "lame" with some of the monsters and demons being complete idiots, but this episode was just SO awful, I found it hard not to go watch some Law and Order show - which I hate by the way!

OK - yay - Charmed is back. But did it have to be so lame? If Janice Dickonson (who the hell is that anyway?) walked into a funeral I was attending, I would not say: "Wow - she knew her? I'm impressed!"
    I would be like:
    "Wow - who the hell are you?"
    And the whole fighting scenes with Billie and her outfit were just extremely lame!
    "Oh - my first demon!"
    And that music in the backround was simply terrible!
    Why did I watch this!?
    The fact that Phoebe came up with that idea off the top of her head annoyed me as well!
    They should have studied about it and looked through the Book of Shadows, etc. But instead they have a problem and "poof" there is the solution conveniently written into the script!
    GRRR!
    I used to love Charmed - why did they do this to it!?
  • This was the season opener for the 8th Season!!!

This episode was really great, though not my favorite. It was a little disappointing in how Piper, Phoebe, Paige, and Leo got new identities because they were tired of the Charmed life, but it still was excellent and well done. It was well written and a fresh approach to the Charmed show because they had never done this before- by taking new identities. I give this awesome Season opener a 10 out of a 10!!! :)
  • we open to the sisters in with new faces fooling everyone into believing they are dead. they assume new identities and the cops pretend to leave to fool them into coming out of hiding.a new witch arises and paige is called by a charge she can't find

this episode is the perfect most amazing start to the season because first we see the sisters at their own wake fooling everyone into thinking that they are dead. they then discover a way to fool the world except their family so wyatt and chris would not be confused. a demon wants the house as a foothold and tries to kill their father to get it but they stop them without letting anyone know that they are alive. a new witch is around and tracks her first demon. around this time paige hears the call of a new charge. this witch seems to be a colledge student and we are left in suspense. this start is way to amazing for words we get the best of everything especially the suspence which leaves us wanting more and more. not only this but the attack which i thoughtwyatt was doing actually turned out to be piper was so exciting. i want more of it bring it on.
  • Still Charmed and Disappointing.

2.5
    After the best season finale, and the best episode of Charmed (Something Wicca This Way Goes), Still Charmed and kicking is a pretty good episode, at least better than the sixth crap season opener, this episode was very disappointing , I mean I was waiting for a great start to season 8, but Crap Kern in this season ruinned all, the first thing that I hate in this episode was Billie, I don't hate Kaley Cuoco, just her character, This Billie is on season 8 with Prue's telechineses and astral projection power, Where did she get that?The whole episode was weak and kind of boring, it was better if the show over in season 7.
  • Charmed but not kicking.

Ah, up to the last season of Charmed.

‘Charmed & Kicking’ isn’t as bad as I thought on first viewing.,

It’s actually quite entertaining, mostly thanks to Paige.

The episode also featured some painful scenes (mostly thanks to the horrible acting of Miss Milano) and some cringe worthy lines, again mostly the Phoebe lines.

In this episode the charming sisters fake their own funeral, people are mourning…except over Paige, poor thing.

Also Paige keeps hearing these jingle sound from somebody. She’s also having trouble living her new life and meets a wig Lady. All dressed in black ready to fight demons.

What was /that/ all about anyway? Okay I already know Billy (I rather wish I didn’t) but why did they dress her like that? I was waiting for her to start wearing a red wig.

Anyway, yadayadayada. Not so many things happened. Oh, there were these demons that wanted to be sure if the charmed ones were dead and they wanted to kill Viktor and take over the charmed house. But they got their ass kicked by the wig lady and by baby Wyatt, well turned out to be Piper.

The good thing about this episode was that it had some hilarious moments, specially from Paige. The acting wasn’t all that bad and the three charming sisters looked very pretty.

The bad thing was that there were too many unnecessary scenes and it had some cringe worthy dialog.

The episode isn’t bad on viewing but its hardly memorable and easy to forget.
  • The sisters are back, in full Charmed Mode.

7.8
    Another season of charmed has begun, and what a way to start it. The last episode had the sisters faking their own deaths to get rid of the never ending demon vanquishing, a way for them to really live normal lives once and for all. But (surprise, surprise) it’s a lot harder than it sounds. I think this is a very well written episode, with some heck of a dialogue and it answered most of the questions on how the glamoured identities work in the real world. The episode, aside from being both exciting and funny, really justified Something Wicca and served as a great “sequel”. It had some new plot twists and opened up a whole bunch of new possibilities for future episodes.

Let’s start with the things I liked. First off the wake. It was incredibly fun and fresh and I loved the whole Janice Dickinson thing. A classic Paige. I also liked how all of the sisters, even Phoebe who was most keen of the idea with the new identities, found themselves missing their old life a bit. The fact that Paige couldn’t stay out of the wolrd of magic for long is no surprise, but I’m happy that they all miss is somewhat, seeing as they inevitably will continue with the demon vanquishing at some point (actually only half an hour later). I liked Phoebe and Dex together, they had some sort of chemistry, that will continue to grow. I was also madly happy and proud of victor in this episode. He stood up to the demons and proved to be one of the most loyal person to the sisters in the whole series. I especially loved his and Elise’s conversation at the wake. Also Phoebe’s and Elise’s moment together at the Bay Mirror was priceless. Grams was, as always, fabulous and told the girl’s exactly what they needed to hear. And I also liked how they struggled with their new looks. They realised that it won’t be easy to live like that forever. Victor and Leo was also very good together, which proves that the old guest stars really are the best and that there should be more Victor, Grams and Patty in the series. The premonition about Phoebe’s and Dex’s marriage was surprising and a good thing, seeing as Phoebe has had less and less things to work with the last few years. It’s just too bad that that story line ended way too early. And the main plot itself was also good and exciting. It kept you hooked and made you want to continue watching the season. It’s also a very good thing that we can see the sisters the way they really look.

The bad things are fewer, but I still have some complaints. First off I hate that there no longer isn’t any Darryl. I’m really going to miss him. The new cop of the show; Agent Murphy proves to be really boring and he adds absolutely nothing new to the show. The demons of this season also buggs me a little. Last years they were leather clad medieval adults; now they’re gothic teenagers. Come on, bring us some original demons for once. The elders are as annoying as always and I’m glad that we will see less of them this season. They’re just so good-for-nothing. The mirrors were also badly made; it didn’t even look like it was them talking; just some bad miming.
    And now, the biggest complaint of them all; Billie. She just annoys me so much sometimes. I agree, she can be fun at times and she definitely brought some fresh air to the series, but her way of being and her tacky outfit is just bad. And the music playing whenever she came into a room was really cheesy.

All in all, this was a very fresh and exciting episode that opened a lot of new plots and it gave a justified continuation of SWTWG. A perfect way to open a season, and the best season premiere since Charmed Again.
  • It was absolutely not neccesary

6.2
    It was a surprise for me that Charmed actually managed to get an 8th season on WB.It was totally going downhill and I thought that it season 7 would have been a perfect ending to the series,I guese WB thought otherwise.

Still Charmed and kicking has the sisters living in new bodies since their apparent death in season 7.There was also a bunch of demons trying to figure out the truth about the Charmed ones death.And out of nowhere a young witch comes along.

The trainee witch called Billie,played by 8 simple rules star Kaley Cuoco was so uncalled for. She just suddenly appeared out of nowhere acting a demon at the cinema.There was no apparent reason for that.Unfortunely,since they siged a contract,I guess we would be seeing a lot of her in season 8.

The moment Phoebe cast the spell to hide their identities,I knew they definely will have to reveal them sooner or later.It was just so obvius.It was practically screamed out of the television set.I mean they can't just pretend to be mortals and not protect the innocents anymore.What would be the whole point of this season if they don't?

The main plot was focussed all on Billie.The rest of the Charmed ones had to be reduced to sub-plots.Phoebe went back to the Bay mirror and found herself a new unoficial boyfriend.The premonition was probably just to get the viewers exicted.Unfortunely it did not.It was very rushed and I think it was to get Phoebe something to do before the viewers get bored to death.Well,it was too late. Dex seems to be one of the million Boyfriends of Phoebe who seems to have no character whatsoever.

The demons that tried to kill Victor were totally lame and boring.They appeared just to get distroyed by the Charmed ones in disguise.It seemed that even the demons became sub-plots and the main plot is surrounding Billie who for some reason I was not at all interested in.The tacky costumes must be it.

All in all,boring storyline,lame demons uninteresting new characters and horrible writing,could'nt they just let Charmed go before I get even more dissapointed by it.

• A so-so season opening to the final season of Charmed.

6.6
    After the shock final of last year I was hoping for something really amazing to kick this new season off with a bang. Unfortunately the show, as it has done many times before, fails to deliver. The sister’s faked deaths seem pointless as the girls are still living under the manor and posing as the Charmed One’s cousins. As usual there is a demon plot but instead of the sisters going to fight, little baby Wyatt does – quite a stupid development. However, there are some good moments, the introduction of Billie is fresh and exciting. Despite what fans say it is exactly what Charmed needs, a new character that isn’t going to turn out into a 6 episode Phoebe love interest. Hopefully the series can offer some more classics before it’s done.
  • Disapointing!

This could have been so much better, but nothing really happened it was sooo boring and i hate the fact that everyone thinks they're dead, it would have been okay if that was the ending to the show but because it's not, that idea is crap! thankfully it didn't stay like that, but for the first episode of season eight, it's a huge let down. I still love the show and am glad the other episodes have been good but it was a disappointment
  • Still Charmed and Sucking

2.9
    Oh dear, it's fall and there's another new season of Charmed... And, what do you know! It hasn't improved. Still the same storylines being recycled again and again and a bunch of new characters that we've seen dozens of times before in Charmed itself and other TV shows and movies.

Still Charmed and Kicking (how bad is that title??) has the sisters now in new bodies since their apparent "deaths" in the season seven finale. Whilst trying to get on with their lives as new people, a group of demons from the underworld are intent on discovering the truth behind the Halliwell's "deaths" and plot to reveal their true identities.

I have to ask if there was really any real need for an eighth season. Season seven ended with the sisters happy and free to go off and lead normal lives. It would have been a good ending to a long-running series, being both hopeful and original. It was by extreme luck that the WB picked up Charmed for one more season and I was one of the many viewers who were surprised. Charmed had been radically failing in the ratings for three years now and with the many new shows the WB needed time in their schedule for, I never expected Charmed to be on their renewal list.

Season eight stinks of money-grabbing and I doubt that Brad Kern and Aaron Spelling really care about the fans and are actually willing to do anything to keep the cash rolling in. With the firing of Dorian Gregory and the reduction in Brian Krause's episodes, I don't really know if season eight will be that good.

This episode marks the introduction of trainee witch Billie, played by 8 Simple Rules star Kaley Cuoco. As soon as she popped up on screen, I hated her. Her lame back-flip through the manor doors looked extremely tacky and her pathetic PVC get-up and stupid wigs just looked weird. This isn't Alias, for frick's sake! I also hope that Billie doesn't eat up Holly, Alyssa and Rose's screen time. She appears as a character drafted in purely to ease the hours of the Charmed actresses, due to their lack of interest in the show anymore. I also hated her stupid quips. At least when Buffy did them, the writers realized how annoying they were and quickly stopped doing them. Hopefully Brad Kern will realize that too.

Phoebe went and got herself a new boyfriend. And, unsurprisingly, he's almost identical to Jason and Leslie! Dex is a painfully dull character who's also extremely patronising to Phoebe and appears to be kinda stalker-ish. Why Phoebe would ever be interested in him is beyond... ooh, scratch that, as we know that Phoebe's probably gone through most of the male staff at the Bay Mirror already and he's the only one left. Watch out Elise, Phoebe's coming to get you next! Her premonition of her and Dex getting married isn't that surprising and it seems really rushed.

Grams also appears in this episode and I have to admit, just leave her alone! I'm getting really tired of her frequent appearances on Charmed and I hope this is the last one. Every time she is summoned she always has some boring pep talk to say and this episode is no different. There's also a pointless guest spot from ex-America's Next Top Model judge Janice Dickinson as one of Paige's shapeshifting disguises. Believe me, there was absolutely no need for her to pop up and the excuse that Paige suddenly has no friends just doesn't make any sense.

Still Charmed and Kicking is a disappointing season premiere with some lame demons, pointless new characters and lazy writing. Business as usual, then.

Rating: F
  • I've always been a fan of Charmed, but this could have been better.

As far as season premieres go, I would have to say that Season Seven's 'A Call To Arms' was the worst, followed by Still Charmed & Kicking. That doesn't mean that I hate the show by saying that. I understand that creatively, it would have been very hard for Brad Kern and the rest of the Charmed writers to return to the show after the Season Seven finale. I felt the show had changed in many ways. Phoebe's voice and her premonitions were different. And I kept getting a 'Big Wolf On Campus' vibe from the character of Billie (which is funny because Brandon Quinn starred in this episode). The way she was portrayed was nothing like Charmed has ever done before, and to be honest, I didn't really like it. I am looking foward to see what the rest of the new season brings.
< 1 2 3