Charmed

Still Charmed & Kicking

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 2005 on The WB

• The Three [fresh] Faces of the Halliwells

As season premieres go...No, wait...as season premieres of Charmed go, this one isn't half bad. After such a fantastic end to season seven, the execs at the WB felt that they could milk a bit more from this supernatural cash cow, with a few notable changes, of course: a slashed budget, a new, fresh-faced Wicca, and more emphasis on the sisters, as opposed to magic.

To be perfectly honest with you, Brad Kern manages to meet these requests quite admirably: the girls are trying to reconfigure their demon-free lives (by going shopping, of course! Nothing says 'hello, new life' like a new pair of shoes!); the FX work is actually pretty effective and used sparingly enough, and this mysterious kick-ass Wicca certainly ticks off the intriguing column for the time being (the cheesy music and questionable outfit only adding to the entertainment value).

The arcs that are set in place could have been stronger (Phoebe sees herself marrying a complete stranger; Paige can't stop hearing a ringing noise in her head; and Piper...is just there). The main one, of course, is that the Charmed Ones are considered deceased. Fineto. Six Feet Under.

Phoebe comes up with a spell that allows them to project a false image of their desired look to the outside world (save for loved ones, like Wyatt and Chris) so that they can pretend to be cousins of the Halliwells, which is a neat idea, but I have one gripe: the actresses playing our leads at the beginning of the episode absolutely NAIL Piper and Phoebe, so it's a pity that we have new versions, which look nothing like our gals (which, I suppose, IS the point: but, c'mon, what's with the hair -- Piper's hair is down, but her projection's is up, and Phoebe's is the exact opposite).

It's a frilly-nilly episode, but it certainly manages to focus on the Halliwell family, which is more than welcomed. And not just the sisters, but Grams and Victor share reasonable screen-time -- something I'd like to see more of. Light-hearted fun, but perhaps a little too exposition heavy for its own good.