Charmed

Still Charmed & Kicking

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 2005 on The WB

• Still Charmed and Tacky

5.5

Still Charmed and Kicking-After being presumed dead, the Halliwell sisters begin their demon-free existence with new identities: Phoebe is overwhelmed with visions of her future husband; Paige begins hearing her whitelighter call, which draws her to a mysterious young witch; Piper attempts to deal with her financial situation, the club and her children. Meanwhile, a brash young demon decides that he wants the Halliwell manor as a trophy and plots to kill Victor to get to it.

So.....after what should have been the series finale in Season 7, The WB at the time decided "hey this show making us some good money, why not renew it for one more time and suck the life out of it even more!" Thus we have Season 8, the worst season of the series, possibly one of the worst season of television history! How else to you explain the unbearable void of quality this season has? Thanks to Brad's special deal with The WB to make this happen, the budget for the series was cut in half, Leo is only present for only 10 episodes this year, Darryl was completely dropped from the series....and worst of all, Billie! Yes, the character that pretty muchsolidifiedthis season's badness! How else do you explain her beyond laughable debut in this premiere with her tacky costume? Looking like a cross between a Matrix reject and a prostitute, every scene with Billie in this episode (and the next) sees her doing some cheap moves and spewing out corny one-liners backed by a cheesy soundtrack like she's supposedly some badass or something when I all I do is turn away from the screen. I honesty find it hard to believe that this random, new witch can effectively hunt and kill demons is she barely knows what a witch is in the first place yet the writers make it seem like being a witch is piece of cake!

The episode is actually not as bad as I remember it. The family moments with the sisters, Leo, Victor and Grams are actually pretty good. It's nice to know the new identities the sisters are taking on won't we easy and is already showing some consequences like Wyatt not being able to tell who is mother is when Piper's in disguise. I loved how each sister handles their new life differently, Paige hears the cries of a new charge and doesn't know whether to expose herself orignorethe call while Piper is having seconds thoughts, worried about the consequences and Phoebe is all to excited to start a life a new! It's really ironic considering Phoebe was the most embracing of being a witch back in the early years, sure a lot has changed since then and so has Phoebe (not in a good way), but it's bittersweet moment knowing the fact. Grams of course is unhappy about the girls' decision, in a rare scene where we see her and Paige bonding. Though is makes me wonder, if Grams knows, then how come the Elders don't? How exactly did the sisters "cloak"themselvesfrom higher beings like the Elders? Speaking of them, I love the scene where Victor stands up to one of the Elders when they decide to take the Wyatt and Chris away from him. It's a strong moment for Victor, showing just how much he's changed since he left the sisters when he was younger. This is a man committed to his family now and will do whatever it takes to protect them. I also liked the moment were Wyatt (who turns out to be Piper) unleashes his powers on a new breed of demons trying to kill Victor. It's a great SFX sequence watching Piper blowing up demons and freezing energy balls all over the place, just showing how powerful she is. Though I have to wonder this sudden glamouring power Piper and Phoebe have are kinda random. I'm sure it's just a glamouring spell that mimics Paige's glamouring power but the way they do it all the time is kinda annoying. Anyway, the demon plot is not worth mentioning, just know the main demon of the week finds out the Charmed Ones are alive, leading into next episode. Not to mention, Jason Lewis's debuts as another spot in Phoebe's lists "one shot love interests" as Dex. More on that non-relationship new episode. All and All, 'Still Charmed and Kicking" is an overall mediocre opening with some good family scenes but weak villains, a horrible debut by Billie and nagging plot points.