Charmed

Sword and the City

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 09, 2003 on The WB

• Queen for a day

7.8
    I wish they'd stop doing these stupid episodes. Charmed is supposed to be about three modern women who happen to be witches, not queues of magical creatures re-enacting a fairy tale.

The story has a few twists but it's hardly gripping. When a watery figure appears in a blocked basin(!) the Charmed Ones go in search of King Arthur's magical sword and Piper ends up drawing it from the stone. She is tempted to use it for evil by a demon who then steals it from her, only to find Wyatt is its true keeper.

It's not short on action, and there are some reasonable guest actors; it's just a bad storyline. If this sword brings ultimate power, how come the Source never tried to use it? It also annoys me that the phrase "ultimate power" is used every time the writers want to make something look important.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I didn't enjoy Holly's performance as evil Piper. I also thought the sword fights were rather clunky. Added to this, there's no Chris this week and Paige and Phoebe have a tedious subplot in which both are annoyingly preachy.

By far the best scene is the one where Mordaunt destroys the demons at the round table then stabs Piper. Although I clocked straight away he was evil I didn't expect a mass vanquish. The effects are great and Piper's stabbing is a genuine shock.

So Phoebe doesn't trust Paige's new boyfriend? Good! Serves Paige right for all the times she was mean to Cole. But, then again, Cole never had Richard's amazing sink unblocking power. There's no justice in the world.