Charmed

Sword and the City

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 09, 2003 on The WB

• Queen Piper and Her Knights of Vanquish

Sword and The City-The Charmed Ones are called upon by The Lady of the Lake to help protect Excalibur, the legendary Sword in the Stone. Numerous magical beings arrive at the manor to try their hand at pulling the sword from the stone, but it's Piper who finally pulls Excalibur out of the stone, causing a surprise figure to appear.

Isn't it just like those Charmed writers to rip off another fairytale story and make another gimmic episode? While, the whole Sword in the Stone plot is as ridiculous as you'd expect from Charmed, the episode actually has (forgive the pun!) charm to it. I did love the opening fight with the sisters against the Dark Knight and the Executor demons. Not to mention, once Piper pulls the sword from the stone, we get some great sword fights with her and Mordaunt. Edward Atterton definately brought the right touch of mystery and eventual menace to the role. Also, it's just great to see Piper let loose and kick some a$$. Holly certainly looked like she was having fun during her "Queen Piper" moments. I actually like the idea of Wyatt inheriting Excalibur, considering it adds to the mystery of how powerful Wyatt will be some day. Knowing he'll one day wield such a powerful weaponwill eventually contribute to future plot points, especially in "Chris-Crossed".

I do have to say, once again, that bringing in those magical creatures never helped Charmed and the scenes with them trying to pull out Excalibur went on for too long. Also, Richard continues to stink up the screen with his nonexistent personality. Seriously Paige, dump him already!!! All and All, "Sword and the City" is cheesy and silly yet manages to be enjoyable most of the time.

TNT