Charmed

Sympathy for the Demon

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 03, 2002 on The WB

• Come on Barbas let's go party

A great title, an explosive storyline and a good comeback for the demon of fear.

Yet again, Charmed manages to take a load of ideas it has done before and rework them into an interesting story. Yes, we have seen Barbas before but never this powerful. Yes, we have seen Cole lose his powers before but not to another demon. Yes, we have seen Paige killed but not by Phoebe. Anyway, you get the picture.

I enjoyed seeing Barbas again. Quite how he managed to master his new powers so fast was a bit of a mystery but it did lead to some great effects. Seeing him in Cole's flat with his henchmen was totally déjà vu. Didn't like his demonic sidekick. Don't like sidekicks in general. All they do is moan at their master then look surprised when they get vanquished.

The most memorable scene by far is where Barbas traps the sisters in the Manor and brings their fears to life. I love the way he steps up a gear when his first attempt fails. The flashback of Victor and Grams is cool. I also enjoyed Cole in the opening scene.

Not sure why the Charmed Ones thought Barbas could not be vanquished. They've never tried before. They two times they've met him previously he was whisked back to prison the moment he failed to kill them.

Once again, Cole is the fall guy. He may be half demon but the bloke is nothing short of a saint this week. He knows taking back his powers will most likely kill him but he does it without flinching. It hurt to see Phoebe so willing to let this happen. Doesn't even a small part of her still love him?

So far Season Five is nothing like as bad as everyone seems to make out. Never believe the critics!