That Old Black Magic

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 11, 1999 on The WB

• He's the one, baby, the one!

The opening scene of this episode reminds me of Season One's "Feats of Clay". Thankfully, it does get better.

For the second week in a row, the baddie has more cleavage than the top shelf of a newsagent's. She's a witch called Tuatha, who has spent the last two hundred years holed up in a cave but who has now been released to do her worst. The plot is fairly predictable but at least it isn't too lighthearted.

What really bugs me about this episode is the whole 'chosen one' storyline. Firstly, it's unoriginal and, secondly, it's nonsense: why on earth would a mortal have power over a witch's wand? And why does she need a wand in the first place? Nobody else needs one. Added to this, Kyle is a really annoying character who spends almost all his time whining and feeling sorry for himself.

Despite the lame storyline, there is some good witchcraft this week. It was great to see an experienced witch with so many spells and potions at her disposal. Hopefully the sisters will be able to do this themselves before too long.

This instalment marks the beginning of the infamous Leo-Piper-Dan love triangle, with Dan getting his share of the action even before Piper and Leo have called it quits. We also get to meet Jack Sheridan for the first time. I like this bloke! It's about time we had a plucky male character on the show.

This is about the tenth episode of Charmed to have featured the line "what's wrong with this picture?" Please come up with something new.

Highlight? Phoebe's little speech to Jack, Dan and Leo. Lowlight? The old woman's pathetic screaming at the snake. Dear God!