Charmed

That Old Black Magic

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 11, 1999 on The WB

• Piper's foolish heart and the chosen nerd.

Unlike most, I really dig this episode. For me, this is the episode along with P3H20 that leverages the Leo/Piper/Dan love triangle and gets the most out of it.

I always approve of a hot female bad, and we got that here with the flame-haired Tuantha in her wonderful dress. Yes, Brigid Branagh plays arrogant better than evil, but I enjoy her turn here. It is possible viewers weren't so happy about a witch being more powerful than the Charmed Ones, since it goes against basic Charmed mythology, but the writers did a good job of showing that Tuantha's experience in the craft was her main advantage. Yes, the young actor playing Kyle was mostly wooden throughout, but he did seem to get into it more as the episode progressed and the tension built. The pep talk by Jenny was ridiculous, really, but I guess it gave her one last thing to do. In the end, I thought the final showdown was very riveting and the conclusion satisfying. Ultimately, Kyle made a great underdog that you were glad to see triumph.

Jack is introduced here, and he immediately adds to the episode. He is an excellent character played by a very entertaining actor. The only problem is that he is a terrible match for Prue. Fortunately, he isn't around long, and in this episode, we haven't gotten there yet. I love the shot where Jack talks to Prue about her "assets" and she gives him an absolutely smoldering look. That is one of my favorite Shannen moments. This episode also introduces scrying and the spell to take a witch's powers away. We will see both again. Clearly, the highlight of the episode is the love triangle, which is actually born at the end of it. The writers manage to get both humor and drama out of it. Brian is great throughout, as usual, and also as usual, he is best in the dramatic scenes with Piper, most notably the scene in the kitchen, which is an all time great Leo/Piper scene. I had originally come into this with great foreboding, but Dan's presence gives us a moody, regret-filled Piper and a ticked off Leo and that rarity is wonderful drama on its own. Piper's request that they take her heart because it gets her in trouble is a wonderful line and classic Piper. No matter how snappish, and sometimes unfair, Piper is, you always want to pull for her.

Leo, of course, opens the door for Piper and Dan by going the self-sacrificing route at the end. Fortunately, we all know it won't last long. Very enjoyable episode that is one of my favorites from Season 2.
LIFE