Charmed

The Courtship of Wyatt's Father

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 22, 2004 on The WB

• No time like the present

After last week's fun and games, Charmed turns darker than it's been all season for this one. It's a bold decision but a good one. It would have been all too easy to fill the hour with smutty jokes but instead we have one of the most sombre and emotional episodes in ages.

Rather cleverly, last week's subplot becomes this week's main plot, with poor Chris now having one day to get his parents together before he fades away completely. (I say "poor Chris", let's not forget he split them up in the first place.)

This puts Piper and Leo centre stage and, for once, their fans have something to cheer about. When Piper tries to blow up a baddie she plunges the two of them into an strange world called the ghostly plane. I wasn't expecting this at all and I found it totally gripping. Charmed isn't known for its surreal stage sets but this one is beautifully filmed; the blue filter and wistful music are spot on. Having the two of them alone for so long really works and when they kiss it doesn't feel at all rushed. Great acting and great direction.

The moment where Piper sees Chris as her son for the first time is very special. For once, there are no witty one liners or dodgy words of wisdom, just a long look between the two of them. All credit to Brad Kern for holding back on the script.

It's nice to see a few darklighters again (the ginger one can shoot me anytime); I've always preferred them to demons. They do need to give them more effective weapons though; in six years we haven't seen one kill a single whitelighter.

I guessed it was Gideon behind the plot but that shot of him walking out of the shadows still made me shiver. Can't wait to see how the season unfolds now.