Charmed

The Day The Magic Died

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 16, 2003 on The WB

• Congratulations! Its an orbing baby boy!

Only 3 episodes after ending the Cole storyline, Season 5 ends its other main plotline with the birth of Wyatt Matthews Halliwell, the Chosen One. In hindsight, it is certainly debatable whether that was a good idea with 7 episodes still left.

The episode maintains the great dialogue that we've seen throughout this season, and there are some sensational guest stars, headed by James Read making another appearance as Victor and Cheryl Ladd surprisingly in an incredibly short stint as his wife. Another plus is the glamour look of Paige, reminiscent of Ginger from Gilligan's Island, except cuter; have I said before that I LOVE all the little faces she makes? Her and Phoebe both have some great comedic moments, especially when talking to Cronyn at the manor. This is a truly unique episode with the loss of all magic being the primary conflict until the end. The sisters have fought without their powers before, but seeing demons having to do likewise is a new one. The three threads of Piper's condition, Victor's arrival with his new wife, and Phoebe and Paige trying to figure out why magic is gone are all well-connected, though possibly one thread too many.

The best part is that the episode ends with one of those virtually perfect scenes: the birth of Wyatt. The acting is phenomenal, especially from Holly, Brian and Alyssa, and I love the chandelier announcing the return of magic and how Wyatt was orbing out of the womb. Nice shocker that it ended up being a boy. Of course, I already knew that and have been laughing at every mention of "niece."

Reminiscent of Piper and Leo's wedding, which happened in nearly the exact same spot, this is a HUGE scene that was perfectly handled. BRAVO!

I can't quite rate this as high as the best of Season 5. It starts very slow and tries too hard for comedy at times. I found Stanley and the scenes where Doris talks about Victor's sexual prowess somewhat painful to watch. Unfortunately, such desperate attempts at humor will become more frequent for the remainder of the season.