Charmed

The Demon Who Came In from the Cold

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 26, 2001 on The WB

• Children of the Thorn

This is different. Kind of like a cross between "Sleuthing with the Enemy" and "Apocalypse Not".

As the title suggests, this one is all about Cole. Specifically, it's about whether the sisters can trust him. When Phoebe knifes a demon in (surprise!) a dark alley, Cole confesses he knows him from his days in a demonic brotherhood. To destroy the brotherhood, he must infiltrate them and convince them he is still evil. But that may not be as hard as it sounds....

It's a well written episode, and Sheryl Anderson builds in plenty of tension. Were this happening to any other character, it would probably fall flat but Cole is the one grey area in the show and the tension is real. When even Phoebe starts to doubt him, you do begin to wonder. It's not Julian's best performance but it's still brilliant. When Cole is with the Charmed Ones he is tight-lipped and sinister but as soon as he joins his fellow demons it's as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. I particularly love the latter.

Involving demons in human business is fine in theory but it never works well in practice on this show. This week, the demons are trying to take over an internet firm and, once again, it just isn't convincing. I think it's more the fault of the director than the guest actors. He needs to let the baddies act a little more human.

There's a great twist at the end when head demon, Vornac, poses as Cole to avoid being vanquished. I didn't clock him until Phoebe was actually throwing the potion. And we even end with a cliffhanger. Bring on part two!