Charmed

The Demon Who Came In from the Cold

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 26, 2001 on The WB

• Undercover Demon...

There is a lot going on in this episode, but only the acting of Julian McMahon keeps this a good episode, which is actually below average for Season 3.

In this episode we find that, though Cole has helped Season 3 stay consistently good as first an antagonist and then as an ally, Cole as a central protagonist does not work quite as well. This episode uses the familiar story arc of a character going undercover in an evil organization and being tempted into losing himself to his undercover persona. Since this is a demon we are talking about, that danger is very real, though I don't believe the screenplay ever sold it. The Brotherhood of the Thorn is interesting enough, and it is made up of some decent enough actors. The problem is that they are overly forgiving and trusting for a group of demons. Belthazor merely steps back into their presence, and not only should he have been vanquished upon sight, but though a lot of mistrust is suggested, he is immediately given important tasks to do. The worst part of the episode is the by now well-worn mistrust that the sisters have of Cole coupled with Phoebe's annoying over-protectiveness. Yeah, she loves the guy, but they are all used to dangerous situations and he freely chose his role. He is not a child.

We get a different ending here with a rare mid-season cliff-hanger. It works well to raise the interest for next episode.