The Eyes Have It

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 20, 2002 on The WB

• Eye For An Eye!

The Eyes Have It-While seeking the advice of a fortune teller regarding her missing powers, Phoebe discovers in a premonition that a demon is going to kill them all after murdering the last one of the coven they were supposed to protect. Meanwhile, Piper wants to see a doctor about her baby, but Leo is concerned about the threat of exposure. Now was that so far writers! Instead of going for the absurd and outlandish fantasy that the writers seem obsessed with at this point in the series, we get an episode with that classic Charmed style: a somewhat dark storyline that introduces quality guest stars and an solid demon of the week. I'm surprised it took the writers so long to introduce gypsies to the series considering their mythology seems so intertwined with the witch mythology. The gypsy characters we met here are quite good with Emmanuelle Vaugier ("Smallville", "Two and A Half Men") as Eva and even better is Shareen Mitchell as Lydia. She gives off a alluring, strong presence as a character and it's always great seeing a fellow witch (sort of) showing the sisters a thing or two about magic they haven't learned yet. Emmanuelle does a nice job of conveying Eva's resistence of his hertiage and magic, but it's also a nice transistion from when Lydia comes to her as a spirit to when she completely embraces her gypsy lineage. You know your in for a good episode of Charmed when even the guest characters get some nice development.

Phoebe takes center stage this episode once again and I'm glad it's actually non-Cole related. It's great to see the writers realizing that Phoebe has been very distant from her magic lately and she hasn't had a premonition in a long time. Even more impressive is seeing Phoebe to pro-active about finding out why her powers are off lately. Alyssa finally gets act out a good script and see a glimpse of the old Phoebe who wasn't so consumed with work and other issues, but the woman who cared about being a witch and her family. Not let's see if we can keep her. The only downside to Phoebe's storyline is that this is the last time we witness the old premonition effects as Phoebe's power advances and we get a new version (which I find ridicous because as cool as her advanced premonition was, she never has one like that again! lame!) As for the demon(s) of the week, I liked Cree, especially Orin, played creepily by Jigsaw himself, Tobin Bell. What I loved about them is that we finally got demons who were brutal and dark again with some good old fashioned eye-ripping, which has been seriously missing this year. The SFX continue to impress as well. I loved Orin's vanquishing scene with Eva, Paige and Phoebe using the Source vanquishing spell. All and All, "The Eyes Have It" is a dark, refreshing hour, with the best writing from the season so far.