The Fourth Sister

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 18, 1998 on The WB

• A boring main story + A wonderful sub plot = An average Charmed episode.

Troubled teenager Aviva follows the directions of a demon in a mirror, that seeks to steal the Charmed Ones’ powers. Aviva befriends Phoebe and sees killing Prue as a way to take her place in the sisterhood. Meanwhile Piper and Phoebe has a fight (or rather war) about who should get the hunky handyman Leo, whom they both are interested in. Prue, on her side, is having troubles finishing her dates with Andy, who gets more and more frustrated with the endless family emergencies.

This episode is fairly good, despite a very boring main plot. Kali (the mirror demon) is uninteresting and portrayed by a bad actress. Most of Aviva’s story is boring and her immature character just annoys me to now end. The vanquish of Kali, which basically was Prue smashing the mirror she was in, was bad and seemed way to easy; it’s something that even Aviva could have done. The fact that Danielle Harris gives a poor impression as Aviva, doesn’t heighten my liking of the main story.

No, this episode wins because of the interesting sub plots and hilarious moments between Piper and Phoebe. Their subtle fight is just wonderfully executed and very memorable. I loved how they kept telling Leo lies about each other, to make him like herself more. Andy and Prue’s relationship, which has in previous episodes been slow moving and mind-numbingly boring, is given new air and becomes slightly more interesting. I also liked to see Rebecca Balding in this episode; it’s always fun to see her, even if she’s much more fun when playing Elise. All in all a boring main plot with fun sub stories. A bit filler, but still ok.