Charmed

The Fourth Sister

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 18, 1998 on The WB

• The Lost Cat, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Quite a dark episode, this, but with plenty going on: a strong main plot, an interesting baddie and boy trouble for all three sisters.

It was good to see the girls meet another witch for the first time, and their reactions to her were all completely in character. That said, I can't blame Prue for being hostile - Aviva managed to spoil her date with Andy not twice but thrice in the same number of days. The final scene, where Andy tells Prue he doesn't want to see her any more, is very sad and you can't help wondering whether they maybe shouldn't have taken it quite so slowly.

This is Brian Krause's first full hour as Leo and it's great to see Piper and Phoebe scrapping over him. You do get the impression (confirmed in the next episode) that Phoebe is only chasing after Leo for something to do, and the way she latches onto Aviva so swiftly shows that, for all her confidence, she is actually very lonely.

Although I enjoyed seeing a new witch, I found Aviva rather too stroppy and spoilt. You can't keep a cat in a wardrobe, for heaven's sake! And, if she was a witch, why would she need a demon to give her a power?

It was a great vanquish at the end. I loved the way the demon froze and Aviva dropped out of it. Very clever!