Charmed

The Importance of Being Phoebe

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 12, 2003 on The WB

• The Importance of Being Phoebe

The Importance of Being Phoebe was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Charmed. I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of significant character and plot development. The action, drama, intrigue and humor were all excellent! This episode had lots of magic and it was great to see Cole and the shape shifting girl who turned into Phoebe. It was also cool to learn more about the Nexus on the Halliwell property. Morris and Paige had some great scenes. Piper has definitely filled the shoes of Prue as the oldest, and protective sister. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • The Importance of Being Slutty

3.5
    The Importance of Being Phoebe-After kidnapping Phoebe, Cole sends a shapeshifter to assume Phoebe's identity to help him manipulate Piper and Paige into giving him ownership of the manor, allowing him access to the powerful Nexus located beneath the house. Meanwhile, Phoebe plans her escape, while Cole gets Paige arrested and ensures that Piper's club fails to pass health inspections in order to keep them distracted. Demonic strippers? Really!? Season 5 returns to the ridiculousness with this absurd and insulting episode. I swear this Phoebe/Cole arc has reach a dead end. Cole should have stayed dead after "Long Live The Queen"! The writers have now sucked the life out of both characters and each episode centered around their relationship just plain sucks now. Cole....sigh...what have they down to you? Suddenly, Cole is back to being a lover boy but without all the menace and presence that made him cool. Why are the writers determined to make Cole so obsessed with Phoebe? Why is now Cole concerned with the Underworld? Why is he trying to turn Phoebe evil with the Nexus? I thought he was trying to prove to her he was good before, now all of sudden he's acting like the Source again when last week he was have out of his mind. Talk about inconsistency at it's worst! Make. up. your. minds. writers!!! If that wasn't bad enough, we have Kaia, probably the dumbest demons to appear on screen with one of the worst actresses playing her. No wonder Kaia appeared as Phoebe most of the time, the actress was horrid (not bad to looka though!) I find it funny how the sisters are so quick to realize Cole is behind their financial problems yet couldn't realize that Phoebe wasn't really Phoebe when Kaia was pretending to be her, especially Piper and Leo. Considering how many times the sisters have been possessed at this point, you'd think it would hit her by now. It's a poor plot development that made Piper and Leo seem dense, I mean she was even talking differently than Phoebe usually speaks. *headddesk* Oh and Alyssa doing the baby voice again. *double headdesk* In the end, when Cole survived being sucked into the Nexus, Phoebe says she felt nothing when she thought he died. Well, so did I. This love/hate relationship between these two has become exhausting to watch. Why should we care about two people who have become untolerable to watch when their on the screen together or when they talk about each other? The last scene has Cole killing a stripper who becomes Phoebe. Huh? Yeah, that he would really go that far, he'll be back to "Phoebe is my world" next week! What a waste of an hour!
  • Who is nexus?

It was refreshing to see the girls realise quite early on into the episode that evil was afoot. Less impressive, however, is that after five years, Piper still can't tell when her sister isn't really her sister. They get possessed ALL of the time, so it's not exactly outside of the box to ponder whether or not that is a demon in front of you. Still, it's a decidedly focused episode of Charmed, perhaps lacking in any sense of urgency, but with enough obstacles for the girls to overcome to keep things interesting. I particularly enjoyed Phoebe telling Cole how she thought he was dead and felt nothing. Nada. Zilch. It will hopefully push Cole to full on dark-side, as we've only been teased about it this season so far. What was Paige wearing in this episode? And did anyone else notice the guy playing Dex played Doax on Dexter? (trying saying that three-times fast.) All in all, a standard episode of Charmed; here's to the 100th episode!

• The Importance of Cole Being Evil...

This is a solid episode that maintains the momentum to Centennial Charmed without being quite as good as prior installments.

The writers must have liked this plot because they copy large parts of it for Something Wicca This Way Goes. Cole is pure evil now. He was about 20% evil and 80% crazy last episode. This episode he is just evil. If that isn't established with his assertion that he is going to "torture and kill" Piper and Paige after Phoebe has been turned evil, then it certainly is when he kills an innocent at the hospital. Anyone still trying to hold out hope for Cole have to just let it go after that. It is actually a brilliant plan to hope to infect Phoebe with the Shadow, which turned her evil before, and also kudos to the writers for remembering it. What is the opposite of brilliant is the whole idea of the bail bondsman. With all of his powers and help, why didn't Cole just take the manor by force? As if he needed to go the whole law route. Basically, the entire first half of the show is a waste of time.

The best part of the episode is between Kya and Phoebe. No surprise that Kya wants to replace Phoebe. I like that the underling had a plan of her own, looking out for her own self-interests. Some reviewers seem overly uptight over the strip club scenes. Please... I give them thumbs up. Cole's obsession with Phoebe is quite odd. Cole said in Season 3 that there is no evil love. However, here he refuses to accept Kya who can even morph into Phoebe, demanding Phoebe instead. Quite odd. Anyway, definitely the best part of the episode was Phoebe getting her powers back and disposing of Kya. Perhaps a reflection of her darkside, no one seems to get more pleasure from vanquishing demons than Phoebe.

The end is well done and makes sense. The only problem is that it is also extremely easy. Phoebe simply chants the spell from "There is a Woogeyman in the House" and then talks Cole into leaving. Too easy. Anticlimactic, really.
  • Beware of cheap imitations

A classic Cole / Phoebe episode with all the intensity of late Season Four. It may not quite reach the heights of "We're off to see the Wizard" but it's not far off.

Cole seems to have pulled himself together since last week and is now using his knowledge of the law to take hold of the Manor. It's a clever storyline which makes good use of everyone's circumstances. It also sees some good continuity in the shape of the shadow (aka the woogyman).

There's plenty of action. The best is when Phoebe is trapped in Cole's flat and temporarily loses her powers. Totally love the way she zooms up through the air vent at the end. Interestingly, this is the first time anyone has admitted her powers make her hard to kill (same presumably goes for her sisters). We also see that her levitation power gives her a degree of superstrength (look at the kicks before and after getting her powers back). There's a decent vanquish too, with a load of demons getting sucked into the Nexus. One question though: what happened to the demons in the other rooms? Only five 'fingers' came out of the Nexus yet the house was full in the previous scene.

The shapeshifter was great fun and Alyssa played her well. I know some folk didn't like the lap dancing club but I actually thought it was pretty true to life. That's what blokes do when they're lonely! What was going on with Paige's outfit btw? She looked like a shopping basket!

Cole's increasingly freakish obsession with Phoebe is only going to end one way and this episode sets up next week's finale brilliantly. Although I knew it wouldn't happen I was willing Phoebe to kiss him at the end.

So here we are halfway through Season Five. And I thought it was all about fairy tales and magical creatures. Don't believe the hype!
  • Another great installment.

Phoebe, Phoebe, Phoebe...It's all about Phoebe (and Cole, Phoebe's ex-husband). You think this episode is boring? You're totally wrong. To me, this is one of the best episode I've ever watch in this series. Cole kidnapped Phoebe in order to win her back, and also get the powerful Nexus that is buried under the basement. But the shape-shifter is evil, and I hate her. She can't replace Phoebe, Phoebe is too perfect for her. Great is the word to describe this episode, the episode is just perfect. Nice and exciting (except for the part Piper remove Phoebe's power from her body). For the others, it's just perfect. Love this show!!
  • In an attempt to tap into the Manor's Nexus and in another attempt to get Phoebe back, Cole gets the Charmed Ones in trouble with the law.

A lot of people are goint to rail negatively on this episode because of the shameless sex saturation and Phoebe-centricity, which I would totally agree with. Still, I think the stripper scenes were done within the context of the story as opposed to just randomly like it has happened in other storylines. Cole using Kaia (not just in his plan, but sexually) to shapeshift into Phoebe is the somewhat more twisted demonic equivalent of a guy thinking of his ex when he's with another girl. The scenes showed both the twisted desperation and anger in Cole for Phoebe and the continuing warping of the character.

Holly carries the episode well with her cutting humor (the rats trying to ruing her life, the snide comments about pulling "Phoebe"/Kaia from Cole's office by her hair) as does Rose. What was another nice touch to this episode was the reference and appearance of the Woogyman (or the Shadow as they call it now). Being an older fan of the show, I always appreciate Prue-era story elements alluded to or re-included.

By the end of the show Cole's left with a bitter rejection that reminds me why I liked Julian McMahon on the show. Not because he was good looking, but because his character was believable and non-plastic unlike the many other temporary love interests the girls on the show have had. You could really see his hurt and rage at the end as a stab ends the episode into a faded black...
  • Does anyone know?

I want to know what the name of the song that was playing in the background at the end of the episode when Cole killed Kiaya's friend when she turned into Pheobe. It was when he was in the strip club because it was playing and then it stopped when he stabbed her and when she turned into flames and we see the blade it starts playing again. It sounds like a pretty good song, so I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was.

Anyone have a clue as to what it was?

It would be greatly appreciated.
  • i don't get cole why kill kaya when she can be anyone he wants to make love with. When phoebe don't want to why don't use kaya to change into paige or piper or phoebe to make love.......

Cole is trying a new plan of taking down the Charmed Ones by using the law. With this he is giving Phoebe a hard time at work, getting Paige into a car accident, and by making Piper's club fail an inspection. A shape shifting demon, Kaia, has a crush on Cole and keeps turing into Phoebe and insisting that she is better than the real Phoebe. When the Charmed Ones figure out Cole's plan, Phoebe goes to his office to threaten him. Unfortunately for Cole, one of his associates tells Phoebe about Cole's plan thinking that she is Kaia. When he tells Cole that Phoebe knows, Cole kidnaps her to keep her mouth shut. So Piper and Paige don't realize that Phoebe is missing, Cole sends Kaia into the Manor to act like her. Cole kills the woman that Paige was in the accident with to make it look like it was a manslaughter. The only way to get Paige out of jail would be a bailbondsman, which Kaia, as Phoebe, talks Piper into doing. They go to the bondsman and put up the house so they can set Paige free, but Cole has the deed to the house so now he can get what he really wanted, the Nexus. Kaia goes to kill the real Phoebe and without her powers, Phoebe is very vulnerable. When Piper gives Phoebe her powers back she kills Kaia, levitates through a vent, and calls for Leo and he orbs them back. The only way for the Charmed Ones to stop Cole would to have Phoebe go in and act like Kaia, who is acting like her. When she gets to the basement Cole has already taken in the Nexus. So Phoebe says the spell to get rid of the Nexus and all the demons in the house, except for Cole.
  • I liked it.

• Phoebe, Oh we all love to be phoebe.

My Favorite Charactar Phoebe is the centre of this episode, her and her demonic ex-boyfriend, Cole has stripper come and impersonate her and in the end with all the cleverness of the charmed they turn the situation right back around and save the day. I love Phoebe so much i think out of the sisters she has the worst powers but has the best personality and she always kicks ass, i would say she is the leas witchy because she is never the one cooking or brewing the potion, its always Paige or Piper.
    All in all its a fantastic episode.
  • Cole, on his endless quest to get Phoebe back, tries his hand at turning Phoebe evil in a more natural way... the nexus.

Honestly, this episode makes me sad. Fist off, the show seems to be all about Phoebe more or less ever since they killed off Prue. Secondly, the turning of Cole makes me sad. All in all it\'s a decent enough episode, but certainly not their best. The plot was mildly slow for this one and the sisters had a lack of togetherness uncommon to them. Paige\'s character shows a little more development from the reckless, judgemental, and rather silly child she was into more of a witch and respectable Charmed One. This episode also showed a bit of growth in Piper as, while the episode somewhat makes it look as if the sisters underestimate Phoebe, Piper never questions her or fights to control her actions, as she has been prone to do since obtaining the bigest sister role.
  • Cole uses law to get to the Halliwells while also using a shapeshifter to assume Phoebe\'s identity and take control the nexus.

5.5
    Not the best episode of the season. The lap dances were kind of pointless. Mainly just an excuse to see Phoebe in a slutty outfit lap dancing on Cole. They could have changed that part. I did like how they showed Phoebe at the end telling Cole that she would be free if he was vanquished, not sad. Which kinda sets him off for the next episode. Also, what was up with Phoebe\'s outfit. Not the lap dancing one but the normal one. It was horrible. Again, not the best episode. I really wish they would have changed it into a better episode or at least replace it with a more enjoyable episode.
  • Cole gains control of the manor by planting a shape-shifter as Phoebe.

In this episode, Cole cleverly distracts the Charmed Ones with legal problems (Piper faces problems with the Health Inspector at P3; a disgruntle reader threatens to sue Phoebe and derail her career; Paige is arrested for her apparent neglect in a car accident) while he plots to take over the manor. A shape-shifter assumes Phoebe's form and assists Cole in taking over Halliwell Manor, and the Nexus, while he holds the real Phoebe captive.

This episode had some fun moments--like when Paige and Piper are disgusted and disturbed when they believe they've seen Phoebe making out with Cole (though it was actually the shape-shifter) and plan an intervention of sorts! It as also very Victor/Victoria to see Phoebe pretending to be the shape-shifter pretending to be Phoebe. :)

Overall, an enjoyable episode!
  • Sad

I don\'t really know about the rest of you but I feel really sorry for Cole in this Season. Phoebe makes this big deal that they cant be together because he\'s evil....SO?! He was evil when they met, he was the source of all evil when they got married. The only time their relationship was rocky was when he became mortal. And yeah there were strippers but whatever. I don\'t know but I just feel sad for Cole, Phoebe ruined his life and her whole speech to him at the end \"I felt nothing and once we vanquish you, I\'ll never look back\" She was crying so bad when they vanquished him last season.
    And I had just watched \'Long Live the Queen\' with Cole\'s letter that he left for Phoebe in case she killed him

\"If Im dead, I know it was by your hand
    No one else has power over me in Heaven or Hell
    I was dead the day you met me
    I was born the day you loved me
    And my love for you will keep me alive forever.\"

Very sad
  • The Importance of Being Alyssa's 2 (!) Requested Lap Dance Scenes

1.5
    What's that noise I hear? That scratching... Oh wait, it's the Charmed writers scraping at the bottom of the barrel of decent plotlines!

This has to be one of the biggest messes in Charmed history with some completely tagged-on scenes which serves only one purpose: pointless titilation for aroused viewers.

The storyline has a stripper called Kaia teaming up with Cole to use the legal system to kick the sisters out of the manor so Cole can absorb the
    power of the Nexus.

Like most of this season, the storyline revolves around Phoebe and the scenes where Kaia shapeshifts into Phoebe at the strip bar and does TWO lap dances for Cole are probably some of the most excrutiatingly painful scenes ever on the show and it seems as if the writers are resulting to a barrel-ful of sexual scenes purely to raise the ratings.

As well as the lap dances, this episode features some other truly embarassing scenes, one including the awful-looking rat demons who look like rejects from Sesame Street and Angela Little's awful acting as Kaia. Please, somebody call a script doctor! Avoid this episode!