Charmed

The Jung and the Restless

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 30, 2006 on The WB

• I DREAM OF LEO

I dream of Leo

Dream sequence or alternate reality? I can't decide. Don't think the writers can either. The result is somewhere between 'Dream Sorcerer' and 'My Three Witches'.

It's a good story. Rather than have Billie turn against the Charmed Ones without question, the writers take the harder route and use Christy's cunning and conniving to convince her. At the same time, we see Piper gradually turning her sisters against Billie. It's the darkest episode in a while and the sense of foreboding is terrific.

The trip to dreamland is a nice idea but is kind of spoilt by having the sisters work it out straightaway. Surely the point of a dream is that you don't know you're in it? Still, there are some good individual scenes: the Bay Mirror being run by children; Leo appearing as an old man. I also liked the way Billie was always hanging around in the doorway. I guess my biggest question is what do the dreams prove? Piper wants her husband back, Phoebe wants children and Paige wants to know her place in the world. Don't see how this makes them evil or even selfish.

The subplot with the darklighter had potential and should have been given more airtime. As it was I found it hard to care whether the whitelighter lived or died. Good guest actress though.

Scene of the week has to be where Piper and Christy confront each other at Phoebe's flat. It's not often Charmed gets this tense so top marks to cast and director. I was actually quite shocked when Piper threw that vanquishing potion.

Whatever you may think of this arc, you have to applaud the writers for sticking with it and avoiding the temptation of filler episodes. Can't wait for next week.

Score: 9.1