Charmed

The Legend of Sleepy Halliwell

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 08, 2004 on The WB

• All aboard for Hogwarts!

Ok, so there may be nothing new under the sun but there is stuff that's new to Charmed. This week, we are introduced to the imaginatively titled Magic School, which will stay with us for the rest of the series, and to Gideon, its creepy headmaster. The idea of Magic School is, of course, straight out of Harry Potter, but to be fair to the producers, they've gone the whole hog(warts) and given us as near a replica as copyright allows. The camerawork is lovely and that shot of Leo and the girls looking up at the door is class. My only complaint is the school's recruitment policy: Paige is basically grabbed from the corridor and shoved in front of a class with no training whatsoever. They don't even tell her which class she's running!

For once, there are no demons to worry about, just the odd headless horseman. The plot has a refreshing whodunnit? feel and I confess I didn't guess Zack was the culprit. The beheadings are great fun and the effects work well. It is, perhaps, a little lighthearted but there's so much going on that this isn't a problem.

Thanks to a decent guest actor, Gideon manages to be sinister without coming across as evil. This is despite some very naff lines. The kids are more of a mixture: some good, some bad. I thought Zack was a little wooden.

I liked that Paige was still concerned about Richard. Credit to Cameron Litvack for keeping him in the story between appearances.

For me, the best part was Phoebe's revelation about Chris, both her vision and his confession. The only thing I found annoying was that she needed some stupid wolf woman to tell her to use her power. In nine months, hasn't she once been tempted to force a premonition from Chris? Interestingly, the future she sees is almost exactly what is shown at the end of 'Forever Charmed.' In case I forget to say it at the time: nice continuity!