Charmed

The Three Faces of Phoebe

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 14, 2002 on The WB

• Is there something I should know?

After last week's fun and games, I was afraid the producers might do what they normally do and give us another meaningless filler plot. Not a bit of it! From the opening scene we're straight back into the season arc and it's even better than before.

Cole's storyline is awesome. It's edge of the seat stuff and, like last season's Belthazor episodes, Cole's inner struggle brings out the very best in Julian. However good the action, though - and it's an undeniably clever story - I am in two minds about Cole being possessed by the Source. On the one hand, it's great to see him with powers again; his blazing entrances are amazing and, let's face it, he was getting a tad boring as a mortal. On the other hand, it's the beginning of a tragic end for my favourite character and it hurts to see him so tormented.

Phoebe's spell is excellent. It's a fascinating use of magic and the past and future selves she conjures up are wonderful. Older Phoebe is a complete surprise: bitter, cynical and totally unlike her present self. Alyssa's reaction to her is spot on. Younger Phoebe is less memorable. Although the part is well written, the young actress clearly struggles with her lines.

Demon-of-the-week Kurzon (who makes up these names?) is very run of the mill and hardly comes across as worthy of being the next Source. The Seer is far more interesting with the way she pulls the strings behind the scenes. Much as I hate the two-faced cow, I hope they don't kill her off too swiftly as she adds a wonderful chill to the show.

This week also sees an important milestone for Paige, as she orbs from place to place for the first time. All in all, it's a great spell and another classic hour of Charmed: dark, gripping and, ultimately, very sad.