Charmed

The Three Faces of Phoebe

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 14, 2002 on The WB

• Me, Myself and I.

The complication phase of the season, 'The Three Faces…'' sees the beginning of a more mature show than we're usually used to, with genuine threat, as Cole slowly loses out to the source's invasion. The episode starts off okay enough, but things gradually get better and better as the hour progresses, resulting in a final confrontation with future-Phoebe and Cole that creates a menacing depiction of what present-Phoebe has in store within the coming episodes. There are, of course, a few things that don't work. Paige's subplot had no relevance whatsoever, even though it featured heavily in the last episode and gets more air time here, and for what? We know from past stories that personal-gain is bad so why bother with such a pointless plot? Rose might as well have not been in this episode.

The past/future storyline was enjoyable enough. I didn't care much for Phoebe's 10-year old mini-me, but I did enjoy her interludes with her geriatric self. Despite having only a handful of scenes, Frances Bay really sells it that she is in fact Phoebe Halliwell. Alyssa plays wonderfully off of Frances' believably stubborn performance, and there's a level of 'tell her already!' to the proceedings, making things far weightier than expected.

Overall, it's your bog-standard Charmed demon-of-the-week plot elevated by some impressive character development and neat advances to the overall arc. The show will continue to provide such strong outings and that's mainly down to the fact the show, for the first time ever, has managed to find a balance between arc-related activities and stand-alone fare.