Charmed

The Witch Is Back

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 16, 1998 on The WB

• Great, great, great, great, great, great grandma is back and looking good.

Along with Dead Man Dating this is one of the better first episodes. The highlights are the guest actors. In Matthew Tate we have our first really dangerous and impressive bad guy. Warlocks, and not demons, seem to be the bads of early Charmed days, and this is the best one. He is the original enemy of the Halliwell line, and he has the useful and later imitated ability to steal any power that is used against him. He is the first in a line of later bads to be able to take the sisters' powers and use them against them. The character is played with overconfident evil gravitas and a touch of sexual magnetism. He is such a handful that the sisters see no other alternative but to seek help from their ancestor- Melinda Warren. Melinda is a powerful witch and an attractive character. She is nearly so good-hearted as to be unrealistic. She became the first character to be conjured by the sisters, something that would become fairly common in regards to grams and their mom in later episodes. The subplot involving Prue and Andy is actually stupid. Of course the police would track Prue down after everything started in her office. All she ever needed to do was give them a statement of what happened. She could have easily done that and just left out the magical details. Then, Andy would have left her alone.

Piper has a small subplot involving Leo, which is good, of course. Essentially, she has to restart their relationship now that the truth spell has worn out. I still can't get over how young her and Leo look. Season 1 might be the only time Holly looked like the youngest sister, which technically she was.

Prue, once again, is pretty much the key to the vanquish at the end. The sisters take care of Matthew, and then Melinda returns from whence she came, unfortunately, never to be seen again.

Yes, this is the first time we get to see a character move about through blinking, shimmering or orbing. It is cool, though not as cool as the other two methods we see in later seasons. I appreciate the improved effects of later seasons.