Charmed

The Witch Is Back

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 16, 1998 on The WB

• After Prue is tricked into releasing a warlock from a locket, the sisters summon Melinda Warren, their ancestor, to the present for help.

As strange as it may sound, Matthew Tate is actually one of my favorite CHARMED villians. Not only does he have a cool and infinitely useful power, but he's actually a force to be reckoned with (unlike some previously forgettable villians). Plus, he oozes sex appeal, making it easy to see how he could have seduced Melinda. And speaking of, I love that we finally get to meet the infamous Melinda Warren, founder of the Warren/Halliwell line of witches. Also, I like that Phoebe's power advanced so that she could see the past, and that her power was the second that Matthew copied as it would've been too predictable to me if he had copied Piper's power after having already copied Prue's. In fact, the only thing I *didn't* like about this episode (and this seems to be a popular complaint) was the whole subplot of Andy investigating Prue, but that's only because it went nowhere and served no purpose this time around. All in all, though, a fantastic episode worthy of 9 lockets out of 10.

Highlights -- Melinda Warren cursing warlock Matthew Tate into the locket he gave her; Matthew's remark that "lawyers haven't changed" since his time; the sisters summoning Melinda to the present; Hannah and Matthew discussing "false modesty"; Melinda and the sisters cursing Matthew back into the locket; and Melinda foreseeing "many generations" of her "beautiful daughters".
TNT