Charmed

There's Something About Leo

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 21, 2004 on The WB

• There's Something About Leo

There's Something About Leo was a perfectly entertaining episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of character and plot development and the story was engaging on many levels. There was action, drama and humor along with magic, intrigue and major disagreements. I liked the way the story played out and I certainly look forward to watching what will happen next!!!!!!!!!
  • Avatar: The Last Time Bender

There's Something About Leo-Piper learns Leo is an Avatar, when he confesses to her, despite the objections of the other Avatars, who believe Piper should find out on her own. Meanwhile, Phoebe and Paige ask Kyle for help, but his reaction proves disastrous.

Well, this episode sure did up the stakes didn't it? Too bad by the end fo the teaser we know exactly how the end of the episode will be resolved. Once we saw Leo hit the reset button we just knew it would be used again, since those Charmed writers can't resist being so obvious! It's a poor writting choice considering everything up until the inevitable time wrap was pretty intense. The truth of Leo's ascension as an Avatar creates a lot of drama between him and the sisters. Not to mention,explores thepossiblegood, bad or unspeakable consequences that the Avatars might unleash if they succeed. Then once Kyle gets through into the mix, all hell breaks loose! Kerr Smith really takes his performance up a notch as Kyle slowly loses his mind and eventually snaps. Although, the origin of the potion he has is a bit Deux Ex Machina and leaves some questions. But anyway, the confrontation at the manor was pretty tense and the moment where Kyle and Leo both kill each other had some genuine build up. But like I said, the forseen reset resolution is beyond anti-climatic and cheapens an episode that was pretty intense so far. I have no problem with reset moments, but we'vee seen so many on Charmed at this point, it's an overused and boring plot point. It doesn't help that the episode from there is about as average and generic as Charmed gets. Demons are vanquished in the blink of an eye and the sisters remain in the shadow of Leo's new powers. The only interesting scnee after the reset was Paige and Kyle's dinner, only because of the moment where Kyle no so subltly tells Paige just how psycho he will get once he finds an Avatar. How romantic? O_0

I would talk about the demons but they are forgettable as always. As a matter of fact, every episode, the demons are beginning to look and act the same! Seems the days of Cole, The Source, Shaw, Eames, Shadow, Jeremy, the Brotherhood etc. are over. Jeeze, even the lackluster villains like Javna and Tawatha were more unique and memorable than the shimmering, energy/fireball demons we seem to get every single week now! All and All, "There's Something About Leo" is watchable if not predictable in the end.

• Sleeping with the enemy...

This episode is half good action and acting and half idiocy.

The good is that Leo finally gets to tell Piper he is an Avatar, and that there is a heavy dose of Leo and Piper. There also are many cool vanquishes, including a mass vanquish by Leo that closely resembles the powers Wyatt has.

The idiocy is everything that happens after Brody finds out. Let me state something I'm probably going to repeat- Agent Brody's character, though well-acted, is the worst written, most poorly conceived character in the Charmed universe. This episode is the beginning of his homicidal quest to kill an Avatar, and why? Because they killed his parents. Oh wait, no they didn't. Well, no matter. He heard they were bad. So bad, apparently, that Leo should die just by being an Avatar himself, never mind the fact that Brody would be dead at least once if not for Leo healing him. SO BAD apparently, that Brody would be willing to hold Phoebe at gun point for an opportunity to kill an Avatar.

Somehow the sisters let Brody and his potion into the same house as Leo. Hey, Brody, come on over! Then, with Phoebe held at gunpoint, Leo walks closer and Piper does nothing. Hey, how about just freezing Brody? Or, how about Leo just orbs out of there? Then what was Brody going to do?

Anyway, so Leo fries Brody, but Brody somehow manages to throw the potion far enough to kill Leo. The Avatars appear to lecture Leo about how him telling Piper caused all this? Whuh?? I thought Brody being a crazed maniac caused this. So, Leo rewinds time to before he told Piper. Whuh?? Couldn't he just rewind it to before Brody dropped the potion? Whatever.

To top it all off, Brody is given a free pass at the end, and we have to put up with the guy who just tried to kill Leo and held Phoebe at gunpoint being Paige's boyfriend, which means she'll spend the next so many episodes defending the guy and ignoring her sisters.

Fortunately, this story arc doesn't last long.
  • STAND BY YOUR MAN

Stand by your man

The season arc bursts into life this week with a fantastic and action packed storyline. As the title suggests, the plot revolves around Leo's big secret and the girls' mistrust. It's a clever take on the idea of exposure and the consequences are frightening.

It starts where we left off last week, with Piper still suspicious of Leo's sudden transformation. Against advice from his avatar mates, he decides to tell her the truth. Piper eventually comes round but her sisters do not. They alert Kyle, who goes completely mental and tries to vanquish Leo. It ends up with Leo poisoned and Kyle dead before time is rewound. Definite shades of "All Hell Breaks Loose".

Seeing Kyle lose it so utterly is a real shock, and makes for a fantastic ending. Kerr Smith is very convincing and the stand off is wonderfully tense. Don't get why Piper didn't freeze him though.

Speaking of Piper, I'm so glad she decides to throw her lot in with Leo. Like most fans, I hate seeing them at loggerheads so this week is a rare treat. Holly gives a heartfelt performance and her tears at the end are spot on.

Really like the baddies this week. Very cool costumes and excellent stage set. We've not had this much demonic infighting since Season Four. There are tons of vanquishes and the effects are superb. The best has to be when one demon shoves a fireball in another's mouth and blows his head off. Total classic!

Leo's character has really changed since the early days of this show. From being a cute but wimpy do-gooder, he is now as bad-arse as the sisters and his powers seem to be growing all the time. His lightning bolts are awesome and that vanquish in the cave is just amazing.

After a dreadful start, this season seems to be shaping up rather well.

Score: 9.5
  • Leo is in danger.

Kyle knows about Leo's secret--he's an avatar. So, Kyle tries to kill Leo, by using his last potion. The others Avatar manage to save Leo, but they don't know how long can they save him. Then later on, Kyle held Phoebe as hostage, and threaten Piper to kill Leo. Leo manage to save Phoebe, but end up sacrificing himself and Kyle. A filler episode. I don't really like this episode and I don't really like this season of Charmed. The seventh season of Charmed is all about avatars, and I hate it because this show is Charmed, not a show about avatars. A fine example but I don't like this episode. Still deserve a 8 because Leo is killed.
  • I really don't like Charmed as a story arc show! Nothing happened in this episode because of the slow and weak story that they did, they prefer spend this episode in the avatar storyline. I prefer a "normal" episode.

It is a strange episode! I don't like it very much but it is not so bad. I guess that is a "story arc" episode, it's a episode to show us leo and the avatars, their powers and all that stuff. That is why the demon story keeps in a second plane. I really prefer an individual episode, i don't like too much story arc episode, i think that that is a way to make the shows go away from the central theme.

Why is this episode good then? It has a great off-screen work! You can see tons of effects. I really got shock when we saw the effect of Leo back time power, you can see Leo going up the stairs and that effect was just plain original! Great effect. Besides is a good way to see the hall-attic way in only one shot. Besides we saw a great material in the vanquish, there were many deaths in this episode. You see that they demons die another way, not the commont flames, I guess that was a really great effect. Besides i loved when Leo vanquish the last demon, it was very real. We have great sets too (the demon's cave). The camera is good aswell! I think that the scene in slow camera when Leo and Kyle are killed is one of the best scenes in the whole Charmed story! :D Was so great work!

But what about the bad things in this episode!? I think that the worst here was the fights! You see in the two fight scenes three demons with fire balls, and they just stand there and do nothing! It was very false, and stupid. Besides we know that fire balls explode when touch something and the freaky writers made Phoebe a not.memory person that goes and touch the energy ball with the stick! It was so plain stupid. Talking about writers, this episode writting was horrible! I usually don't notice the writting/dialogue quality, but here I noticed that the dialogue was awful.

So that it is! This episode is kinda boring and has not a good story to hear, it just have great effects and all that... but it is not enough! (Oh, I loved Piper acting when Leo said he was an avatar! I forgot to say it!)
  • Paige and Kyle go on their first date !!

Leo reveals to Piper that he is an Avatar, despite the warnings from Alpha and Beta that Piper should find out in her own time. Phoebe and Paige call on Kyle for help, but his reaction to the news causes disastrous results. While the Charmed Ones are distracted by Leo's news, the demons Malvoc and Vassen kill an Innocent that they are protecting. Leo is forced to use his power to reverse time to save himself and vanquish the demons. Meanwhile, Darryl suspects that Kyle may have had something do with his partner's mysterious disappearance, and Paige and Kyle go on their first date.
  • Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Leo faces a common crisis like all of us in some point in our lives; where sometimes we could carry an important secret that is so big it could affect all those you trust deeply. Leo knows the truth has to come out sooner or later because keeping the secret any longer is making his relationship with Piper crack a bit. Good thing he has the ability to pull of a Groundhog Day like spell and see the what if. The results almost turn out smooth Piper begins to believe in all of what Leo says and is. But unfortunately telling Piper the truth too soon resulted in a domino effect because unfortuantely Piper and Page don't believe Leo and the truth leaks out to Broady who then burns his book of ethics to take out Leo and also the Charmed ones don't save the inocent in trouble. As the Avatars put it the message is simple, in order for people to accept the truth they have to come into it on their own time because the truth can set people free but it can also be dangerous toward others.
  • Can Piper handle the truth?

It's an age-old dilemma: Do you tell the person you love the truth, knowing it could hurt her, or do you keep a secret to protect her? This is what Leo has faced since becoming an Avatar. Piper knows he's keeping something from her, and it's affecting their relationship. But how will she react? Can Piper handle the truth?

Fortunately, being an Avatar comes with benefits we mortals don't enjoy. Leo has the opportunity to learn the consequences of coming clean with Piper—and dire consequences they are (body count: 3). In the end, he realizes he needs to reassure Piper that she's right—he is keeping something from her—but he can't tell her about it until the time is right. It's a compromise, but one they can both live with.
  • Brillant episode showing the consequence of leo telling piper he's an avator

Wow, what a brilliant episode where do I start? Leo has power to reverse time, that a extremely dangerous power which we know what happened to Cole, I loved the fact it showed the consequence of Leo telling Piper he is an avatar and how it almost got him killed, wow there’s a potion to kill Avatars didn’t see that coming. I’m actually thought they were unstoppable. This changes everything. I really hate the writer for doing this.

I’m really concerned about how obsessed Brody is leading to him almost hurting the Charmed ones I have decided he’s not a good guy after all, I understand why he does that but that give him no right to hurt innocent. It’s great that Daryl is slowing getting talking to charmed ones; I thought silence was a great turning point in the past season. Why the hell did sister go to Brody? How stupid is that?

I just don’t get why avatars didn’t tell him consequence instead of showing him, it’s good but as result reversing time there combined powers are drained which has be a little concerning, their powers are impressive but it’s not unlimited which has been disappointed IMO. These revelations have changed impact of Avatars in my eyes.
  • There's Something Uninteresting About Leo

4.1
    A slightly dull episode which advances on the Avatar storyline, which, I have to admit, is getting extremely tedious as weeks go on.

There's Something About Leo is another one of those episodes where loads of the main cast die, only for one character to go back in time and undo everything. The rest of the plot has Avatar-crazy Brody taking everybody hostage until Leo, who revealed to the sisters that he was an Avatar, summons his superior Avatars.

I found this episode quite annoying. I didn't like that Paige was continually sticking up for Brody even though he just threatened to kill her sisters. They say love is blind but this was just ridiculous. The hostage scenes seem to go on forever and there's hardly any real tension as you know that the cast will get out of it somehow. That's the problem with Charmed nowadays, all tension has gone. If any sister is injured, Leo can heal them. And now with the handy time-travelling thing, anybody's death can be undone. It's getting seriously stupid.

Thank God that Darryl resolves his issues with the sisters. Yes he was almost sentenced to death but look how many times the Charmed Ones have saved him over the years... and they saved him from the death chair! You would have thought that he wouldn't be so stubborn! All-in-all, There's Something About Leo is a dull episode with only some exciting moments. I personally can't wait until the Avatar arc is over.
  • The Power of Three and Leo's Big Secret

The Power of Three and Leo's Big Secret

Main Storyline:
    When Leo tells Piper that he is an Avatar, she freaks out and tells Phoebe and Paige, who freak out and tell Kyle. The Avatar-Obsessed Agent quite literally goes crazy, shooting Paige with a tranquilizer and taking Phoebe hostage with a real gun until Leo summoned another Avatar. In the end, Leo kills Kyle just as Kyle throws a vanquishing potion at Leo. Both die (Or are close to death), and Leo is forced to travel back in time to before he told Piper that he was an Avatar. Whew! Done with that! Anyway, this was a really exciting plot, just as good as those of seasons three and four.

Sub-Plots:
    1. Kyle and Paige’s Romance: I don’t see Paige putting up with Kyle’s Avatar obsession, especially if he tries to kill her brother-in-law. But I still like them together…to an extent. Oh, and they mentioned a first kiss, but I didn’t see one until the end of the episode.
    2. The Other Demons: These demons were so short-lived, I don’t even remember their names. I assume it was like a West Side Story type of thing, without the whole dance-off scenario. Two “gangs” fighting over the same turf (so that they can Suck the Lives Out of People!)
    3. Darryl and the Halliwells Resolve their Issue: Well...kind of. Darryl still doesn’t approve of magic, and it doesn’t look like he will any time soon. But, seriously, he does need to get over the fact that he was almost viciously killed by our penal system.

I’m really glad that last week’s slump only lasted one episode. This week’s got really strong, better than “Someone to Witch Over Me” because it revolved around Leo, not guardian angels. However, we can definitely learn something from this. The demons need to be extended upon, instead of always being two-minute demons. (Like I said, I don’t even remember their names.) All in all, a brilliant episode.

Grade: A