Charmed

There's Something About Leo

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 21, 2004 on The WB

• Avatar: The Last Time Bender

There's Something About Leo-Piper learns Leo is an Avatar, when he confesses to her, despite the objections of the other Avatars, who believe Piper should find out on her own. Meanwhile, Phoebe and Paige ask Kyle for help, but his reaction proves disastrous.

Well, this episode sure did up the stakes didn't it? Too bad by the end fo the teaser we know exactly how the end of the episode will be resolved. Once we saw Leo hit the reset button we just knew it would be used again, since those Charmed writers can't resist being so obvious! It's a poor writting choice considering everything up until the inevitable time wrap was pretty intense. The truth of Leo's ascension as an Avatar creates a lot of drama between him and the sisters. Not to mention,explores thepossiblegood, bad or unspeakable consequences that the Avatars might unleash if they succeed. Then once Kyle gets through into the mix, all hell breaks loose! Kerr Smith really takes his performance up a notch as Kyle slowly loses his mind and eventually snaps. Although, the origin of the potion he has is a bit Deux Ex Machina and leaves some questions. But anyway, the confrontation at the manor was pretty tense and the moment where Kyle and Leo both kill each other had some genuine build up. But like I said, the forseen reset resolution is beyond anti-climatic and cheapens an episode that was pretty intense so far. I have no problem with reset moments, but we'vee seen so many on Charmed at this point, it's an overused and boring plot point. It doesn't help that the episode from there is about as average and generic as Charmed gets. Demons are vanquished in the blink of an eye and the sisters remain in the shadow of Leo's new powers. The only interesting scnee after the reset was Paige and Kyle's dinner, only because of the moment where Kyle no so subltly tells Paige just how psycho he will get once he finds an Avatar. How romantic? O_0

I would talk about the demons but they are forgettable as always. As a matter of fact, every episode, the demons are beginning to look and act the same! Seems the days of Cole, The Source, Shaw, Eames, Shadow, Jeremy, the Brotherhood etc. are over. Jeeze, even the lackluster villains like Javna and Tawatha were more unique and memorable than the shimmering, energy/fireball demons we seem to get every single week now! All and All, "There's Something About Leo" is watchable if not predictable in the end.