Charmed

Valhalley of the Dolls (2)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 28, 2003 on The WB

• Ride of the valkyries

Not quite the explosive second half I'd been hoping for but good stuff nonetheless. Refreshingly, there are no demons in this one so the episode concentrates on the main cast and their family issues.

To escape the pain of losing Leo, Piper opts to stay a valkyrie. Cue the usual race to win back the rogue sister before it's too late. At least Paige and Phoebe know what to do this time; the plot is a carbon copy of season four's "Hell Hath no Fury".

Despite the predictable storyline, there is plenty of fun along the way. I had to laugh when the valkyries went off for their motorbike ride. I guess if valkyries were real that's exactly what they would do. On the flip side, I expected more from the escaped warriors. In the end they just killed a few innocents and got dragged back to Valhalla. Bit of a waste of time really.

Once again, the best part of the plot is the intrigue around Chris. While Leo has been away he has obviously been sucking up to the sisters big time. Highlight of the week has to be Leo's swordfight with him in Valhalla. I'm not sure how five weeks in a pen has changed Leo so utterly but I'm not complaining. He's absolutely right to suspect Chris and his kickarse attitude is great to see. Top marks also to the scene where he grabs Chris mid orb and flings him across the room. More fights please!

Paige's subplot from part one becomes even more bizarre when one of the dogs she is looking after turns into a man. Seriously, this has to be the most random subplot ever! The bloke does have a very sexy voice though.

Alyssa puts in a good performance in her snogging scenes with Mr Dull but this doesn't stop them being a pointless waste of time. Much better is her power development; apparently with her new status as an empath she can now channel other peoples' powers. Who needs Peter Petrelli?