Charmed

We All Scream for Ice Cream

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 18, 2001 on The WB

• The Kids in the Hell

Okay, this episode probably sounds like absolute garbage when you read the storyline but, in fact, it's anything but. I never expected many shows to be able to pull off demon kids and killer ice cream men... in the same episode! But, somehow, it works and Charmed actually produces a decent episode out of some dumb ideas.

We All Scream for Ice Cream has the sisters investigating an Ice Cream Man who abducts children and keeps them in a large snow dimension housed inside his ice cream van. Prue and visiting Victor go into the van and release the kids, only then realising that the Ice Cream Man is a good guy who was storing the kids... who have slightly homicidal demonic tendencies.

James Read makes his debut as Halliwell dad Victor and he's much better in the role than Tony Denison, who has all the acting range of an expired milk carton. Read does well with the character and the scenes between him and his daughters (especially Prue) are well done.

The actors playing the demon kids in this episode were, surprisingly, quite good. Compared to the other kid actors on this show (most notably fire-boy in Lost and Bound... gag!), they actually convince and don't have either sickly voices or Aaron Carter-style haircuts.

There's a neat twist in this episode as I genuinely thought that the Ice Cream Man would be the bad guy. It's something that actually made Charmed surprising and compared to the newer seasons, there is actually a sense of danger whenever the sisters go into battle.

This whole episode is entertaining and features some interesting family problems as well as a fun demon story.