Charmed

Witch Way Now?

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 16, 2002 on The WB

• They always come back

It was always going to be hard to follow the evil Phoebe arc and, frankly, they should have waited until next season. This installment would have made a great season opener but, as a finale, it's pretty weak.

The exposure plot has been done several times before (and far more successfully) and to dredge it up again seems a bit of a cop out by Brad Kern. The witchhunter was dull and his storyline felt rushed. They should have let him keep his secret until next season. First missed opportunity.

Offering the Charmed Ones a reward for vanquishing the Source was a nice touch and I did like the Angel of Destiny - good idea and good guest actor. Would have been interesting for them to have given up their powers for a few episodes but I guess that wouldn't have been popular with the viewers. Second missed opportunity.

While it's great to see Julian again, I can't help wondering whether bringing Cole back was the right thing to do. At any rate, they should have waited until next season to do it. I liked the concept of the demonic wasteland but the set looked rubbish and what was that snake thing about? Alyssa and Julian must have felt like a right pair of berks standing on that rock. Still, it's good to see Cole finally free of the Source and it'll be interesting to see what his new powers are.

In my view, the previous episode would have made the perfect finale - a demonic bloodbath to tie up the Source storyline and the season ending with Cole's voice drifting through the curtains. Third (and biggest) missed opportunity.

So here we are at the halfway point in the series. As we say thank you and farewell to Constance Burge I've got a horrible feeling we may already have seen the best half.

Thanks largely to 'Bite Me' and 'Womb Raider', this season's body count stands at a whopping 116 evil beings. The list comprises 75 demons, 26 vampires, 6 warlocks, 3 furies, 2 ghosts, 2 mortals, 1 darklighter and 1 wizard. Of these, 12 were vanquished by Cole and 29 (including all but one of the vampires) by the Source. Who says good and evil can't work together?