Chase Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Poll: Daisy in "Roundup"

What do you think about Daisy going vigilante killer?

PutU2REM

[1]May 10, 2011
    • level: 10

Many of you may say Daisy had no right to kill the pedophile. I say she had no right to allow him to continue molesting. How could anyone possibly think it moral that children should suffer so their abuser can have all the legal niceties?We talk so much about the rights of criminals these days we never bother to think about the price victims, both past and future, pay for those rights, or whether we have the right to ask it of them.

Personally, I like seeing a hero get her hands bloody. That's so rare. We want our villains to die in "tragic" accidents (like plummeting to their deaths after the hero makes a valiant rescue attempt) so we can satisfy our need for vengeance without anyone being responsible for it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

karlmeszaros

[2]May 12, 2011
    • level: 106
    Interesting discussion topic. I strongly believe that it is never right to take the law into one's own hands because we (Canada and America) are nations built on laws. The fact that an individual with a badge did it makes it that much worse. I would never, ever want someone who is capable of making decisions like that on my police force. What Daisy did was a flagrant abuse of power and first degree (premeditated) murder. The DUI was bad enough, but to me this is off the charts.

Followed though to its logical conclusion, does every woman who was abused as a child, raped, beaten or otherwise unspeakably violated have the right to take up arms and kill her attacker? What then? What about the father who decides to kill the drug dealer that led to his daughter's addiction and death? There are countries in this world where adulterers are stoned to death?

The thing is, it's not Daisy's decision to make - it is a court of law's. If we deny certain people 'legal niceties' which are there to protect us all, then who's to say it won't be denied to us. There are innocent people in jail. I doubt there are many, but there are some. I am grateful for our legal system and imperfect as it is, think it's the best in the world.

Just to say, I have no problem with the death penalty and support its use in especially horrific cases of first degree murder, but while this individual did awful things, he did not kill anyone. I think he belongs in maximum security prison for life with no possibility of parole. I don't think child molesters do too well in prison.

I guess if a person decides to do the crime becuase they can do the time, and if Daisy truly feels free and felt she had no choice, if she is comfortable within herself with the decision she made and is prepared to face the consequences, then it's between her and her conscience and her God. I'm not sure how a person can feel free when they know they are going to prison for life. I think a 25 year sentence would be fair.

PutU2REM

[3]May 15, 2011
    • level: 10

karlmeszaros wrote:
    I strongly believe that it is never right to take the law into one's own hands because we (Canada and America) are nations built on laws.
    So was Nazi Germany. QED.

Your problem is that you're making the all-too-common mistake of believing it's a choice between pro-law or no-law. In general, if you're considering both sides of an argument, you're not considering enough sides. This messy world we live in is full of many delightful "sort ofs," "some of the times," and "yes buts."My position on vigilantism is a "yes but." I believe no law will ever be right all the time, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have them. We as individuals should strive to do the right thing, no matter what the law says. We as a society should make the best laws we can and enforce them as strictly as we can, because nothing is more evil than anarchy.

So in Daisy's case, I think the right course of action for all involved would be as follows: 1) Daisy shoots the pedophile; 2) Daisy tries to get away with it, but only uses methods that will not injure or kill others; 3) if she's caught, she's prosecuted in strict accordance with the law, albeit with as much leniency as is legal.

karlmeszaros wrote:
    I don't think child molesters do too well in prison.
    They absolutely don't, and I despise the fact that we as a society think that's okay.We deliberately and with full knowledge imprison people in an environment where there is no reasonable expectation of humane treatment. We're all guilty of a million counts of conspiracy to commit rape, but we lack the moral courage to admit it to ourselves.

P.S. -- Have I confused you with my simultaneous "go Daisy go" stance and advocacy of prison rights? Well, if you're wondering if I favor Amnesty International's "hug-a-criminal" approach or the "make-em-suffer" hard-line, the answer is obviously no.