Chasing Mummies Forums

The History Channel (ended 0000)

Seriously?

Laserwolf412

[1]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 5

Since I am starting school in a Month to earn a BA and hopefully a Masters and beyond in Anthropology(Archaeology in particular) I was fairly interested in the series based around Dr. Zahi Hawass who you see in nearly every documentary show about Ancient Egypt these days. However, the synopsis that popped up for the first episode gave me pause, and the pre-credits promo earned it an immediate delete. They want us to believe that somehow a girl became trapped in a tomb and that Dr. Hawass had to personally leave a book signing to race through the streets of Cairo to rescue her himself "before time ran out".I get that most social interaction between people on shows like American Chopper and Pawn Stars is fairly scripted, but this is pretty insulting. The History Channel just sinks another notch lower. Nothing new.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

whipassmt

[2]Jul 23, 2010
    • level: 3

Laserwolf412 wrote:

Since I am starting school in a Month to earn a BA and hopefully a Masters and beyond in Anthropology(Archaeology in particular) I was fairly interested in the series based around Dr. Zahi Hawass who you see in nearly every documentary show about Ancient Egypt these days. However, the synopsis that popped up for the first episode gave me pause, and the pre-credits promo earned it an immediate delete. They want us to believe that somehow a girl became trapped in a tomb and that Dr. Hawass had to personally leave a book signing to race through the streets of Cairo to rescue her himself "before time ran out".I get that most social interaction between people on shows like American Chopper and Pawn Stars is fairly scripted, but this is pretty insulting. The History Channel just sinks another notch lower. Nothing new.

I do find it weird that they couldn't have sent someone other than Hawass to save Zoe from the tomb, my guess was that Zahi had the key perhaps. But then again, on the first episode the paper had the wrong intern (Zoe from Canada showed up, but the paper said Claire from France was supposed to be there). Then on the second episode one of the interns went to the bathroom in the pyramid.

whipassmt

[3]Jul 23, 2010
    • level: 3

However I did like the commercial where Zahi goes "Show me the Mummy". I also like seeing him get mad.

jrsgalaxy

[4]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 14

That girl going to the restroom in the Pyramid was Zoe again. I hope that they don't use her just for comic or dramatic relief. That getting trapped and then peeing herself looks staged to me. And Dr. Hawass behavior when he gets mad for everything seems over the top. Like they encourage him to jump the shark all the time. I'm a huge fan of anthropology and archaeology and always wanted to major in that , but Hawass makes me like it less and less. Seriously if I got a job like Zoe as an intern and had to put up with a megalomaniac like Hawass , I think I'd quit. He wouldn't have to fire me, which he threatens mostly everyone he comes in contact with doing.

S1Genocide

[5]Sep 1, 2010
    • level: 12
    There are no rooms caves under the Sphinx... then he goes under the Sphinx (rolls eyes) Everyone knows the Egyptians used 10,000 jewish slaves to construct the pyramids (its in multiple holy books) Its all about his ego. But I still like it for the drama.