Cheers

Coach's Daughter

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 28, 1982 on NBC

• "The good news is, I finally met somebody. The bad news is..."

Coach Pantuso's daughter, Lisa, announces she's found someone at last and is ready to settle down. So who is the man who won the heart of the Coach's beloved daughter?

A class-A jerk.

The would-be groom is *nine* miles of bad road. He is rude and crass, and that's just his good side. Coach is baffled by what his daughter could possibly see in the man. As would any concerned parent, he draws her aside, for one of those classic soul-searching pool room conversations.

Lisa is tired of the single life and has decided to settle for this loser only so she will no longer be by herself.

Her father urges her to have courage and self respect. Desperation is no way to make a choice like that and no way to look at yourself.

Their speech about Lisa's late mother is one of the most profound and sweet you will ever see on television.

Superbly written and acted. Allyce Beasley is terrific as the daughter and Nicholas Colasanto shows us, very warmly and naturally, why we loved his character.

Over the long run of this series, there are so many great episodes; even so, this one still stands out.