Cheers Forums

NBC (ended 1993)

Cast a Cheers Movie

chipsaugratin

[1]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    Let me say 1st that, with yet-another-lame-TV-show-movie-remake (Miami Vice) in cinemas, I most definitely do not want to see a Cheers movie. And yet, I can't help, for some reason, but speculate on who I would cast in the leads should such a movie be made now. For Sam and Diane, I'm leaning toward Luke Wilson and Naomi Watts, though I'm open to changing my mind.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 63
    The only true Sam and Diane were Danson and Long, no bones about it.

seinfeld111690

[3]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 25
    HelloStuart wrote:
    The only true Sam and Diane were Danson and Long, no bones about it.

Yeah

tomakalinus1

[4]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 8
    I was just thinking about a Cheers remake theatrical movie the other day. Not sure who to cast, though. Luke Wilson and the other stars of those "gross-out" comedies don't have the comedic chops to pull off these roles.

Maybe a Cheers reunion movie?

chipsaugratin

[5]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Obviously, no one can do a better job than Ted and Shelley. However, they are a little too old today to play an ex-baseball player in his early thirties and a college student in her late twenties, as when Cheers started. I also don't want to see a reunion movie. In my mind, the Cheers story is over

For the sake of discussion regarding a remake movie (that none of us wants to see), just pretend you are casting 2 actors today to fill those roles. You are not thereby endorsing the idea of a movie.

drudager

[6]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 13
    chipsaugratin wrote:
    For Sam and Diane, I'm leaning toward Luke Wilson and Naomi Watts, though I'm open to changing my mind.

Oh come on. Neither Luke or Owen Wilson could pull off being an ex-MLB pitcher. Baseball players actually are tall & well-built these days; almost football player stature. As for getting somebody as annoying as Shelley Long for Diane, it would have to be someone really annoying & uptight with a toxic personality and hard to work with. Maybe Megan Fox with a blonde wig.

Kenant00

[7]Jan 16, 2013
    • level: 8

If they did a movie on this I could see Kevin Costner playing Sam Malone. Think he'd be good in the role of
    a former pitcher turned bartender. Jonah Hill possibly playing Norm Peterson or that big guy from the sopranos
    who's name I forget. Matt Le Blanc I could see playing Woody.

drudager

[8]Jun 3, 2013
    • level: 13
    Kenant00 wrote:

If they did a movie on this I could see Kevin Costner playing Sam Malone. Think he'd be good in the role of
    a former pitcher turned bartender. Jonah Hill possibly playing Norm Peterson or that big guy from the sopranos
    who's name I forget. Matt Le Blanc I could see playing Woody.

I think Matt looks too old looking to play a young guy from Indiana. Plus Costner is almost 60 & that's just not realistic for have a man that old sleeping around. If they ever made a movie, it would have to be with a bunch of young unknowns.