Cheers Forums

NBC (ended 1993)

other characters from Cheers that would be good spinoffs

ScreamingViking

[21]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 6
    how bout norm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[22]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 63
    ScreamingViking wrote:
    how bout norm

Nah, too much of a second banana.

Spartan2k88

[23]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 32
    yeah, that would grow old too easily...

drwoowoocl

[24]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 10
    I agree with that.I always thought Frasier was the best character to be spun off,because he was the most realistic one on the show,and plus he always seemed to be the only one outside of Diane who actually had a life beyond the bar.None of the other characters seemed to be people that I would be interested in knowing outside of that bar.I think thats why The Tortellis never really worked,because Nick was most interesting when he was at the bar,trying to pull something on Carla.Taken out of that context,he was just another boring sleazy guy.

drudager

[25]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 13
    leshog70 wrote:

1.Woody - the fact he was congressman  the possibilities are endless

2. Norm- we always heard from Norm how bad Vera was, it would have been interesting if the show had revealed her

3.Cliff - being a postal worker it would have been interesting to see Cliff at work

these characters were the funniest characters on Cheers I think anyone of these characters would have been good spinoffs

Rather than just shoot these down, I'll just bullet comment these.

Cliff was nearing the retirement age at the post office (which was touched on Frasier)
    There is NOTHING interesting about working at the post office
    Originally I thought Norm would be the spin-off back in the day. But Norm is very one-dimensional & basically friendless, familyless & childless, which would had made boring television for someone with no job or career.
    These 3 characters were played out on Cheers so a spin-off would had been reaching
    In retrospect Frasier was the best choice, tho they did change his character a bit for the spin-off & they were smart about the premise & getting him out of Boston
    The Tortelli's was beyond awful.

drudager

[26]Mar 30, 2012

drwoowoocl wrote:
    I agree with that.I always thought Frasier was the best character to be spun off,because he was the most realistic one on the show,and plus he always seemed to be the only one outside of Diane who actually had a life beyond the bar.None of the other characters seemed to be people that I would be interested in knowing outside of that bar.I think thats why The Tortellis never really worked,because Nick was most interesting when he was at the bar,trying to pull something on Carla.Taken out of that context,he was just another boringsleazy guy.

I remember cringing at the idea of "Frasier" because I wasn't really a fan of him on the show. Also they basically (tho not completely) reinvented Frasier from being a beer-drinking sports fan common-man wannabe to an uptight sherry-swilling elitist snob. Also they basically wrote Lilith out of the show on Cheers as well so he was a single & free man. But basically, if "Frasier" was ever going to be successful, they had to make it nothing like Cheers.

The Tortelli's was just some stereotypical mish-mash of a show thrown together in hopes that somehow strength in character numbers, the show would stick. You don't see it anymore but basically it was a rich successful show burning through an episode order by trotting out a pilot & somehow tricking into earning an episode order. I know Cheers did this at least once in the last few season with "Look Before You Sleep". But I never liked Nick with that dumb blonde bimbo plot. Yes it did have its place, but it didn't stop it from being cringe-worthy.

drudager

[27]Mar 30, 2012
    Spartan2k88 wrote:
    ScreamingViking wrote:
    I say Woody

At the time i think Woody Harrelson was concentrating on the movie business...

He was, and as HeyStu mentioned, his appearances were dwindled down to half a season's worth in the last season. I don't think I could have taken any more Woody Boyd. His character got a lot of airtime in those last few seasons. Plus the Congressman bit worked more as a one-off joke rather than a explored idea. There was already a show very similar to the idea on at the time on NBC with "The Powers That Be", which was awful but introduced us to David Hyde Pierce.

drudager

[28]Mar 30, 2012
    aplourey wrote:
    I think Frasier would've been more successful and more likable (at least for me) if Lillith had somewhat of a bigger role

Sounds like to me someone is into stereotypical gender & couple roles. The fact that "Frasier" was single, divorced & basically childless for almost every episode & that the show wasn't a family sitcom and had well-developed stand-alone adult characters is what made it work. We need more comedy shows like that on TV.

drudager

[29]Mar 30, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    geoellis2 wrote:
    True, but Nicholas Colasanto was dying in real life, and all the people associated with Cheers knew that. He would get dizzy and forget his lines, improvising about topics not in the script. I know his character was like that anyway, but they wrote stuff especially for him because of his encumbrances. I think the storyline was respectful to him, and the way they brought Woody in made for some discussion about Coach's life, not his death.
    Storyline? There wasn't any! They said"Coach passed on" and that was that!

Actually I think the subtle treatment was the most classy thing they could have done. If they had done a funeral & made it a sobfest with a bunch of Coach stories, it would had been way too much. Plus they did mention the passing very briefly when Gus came back & tended bar and he asked after interacting if Woody was Coach's son. Sometimes less is more. Plus I remember Harrelson being added made a lot of news back in the day so it wasn't like any of us were caught off-guard.