Cheers Forums

NBC (ended 1993)

Romantic & Sexual Subtleties & Modesties of "Cheers," The

TheGloriousSOB

[1]Jul 7, 2009
    • level: 1

As I watched the climactic episode where Rebecca & Sam finally become intimate, I'm reminded of what the subject title is about. Um, I have 2 b amazed @ how the interacting characters (Sam & Diane, than Rebecca, Frazier & Lilith, Carla &, well, u-name-him) can display such romantic & sexual chemistry w/o needin' 2 be, um, explicit. Let's compare "Cheers" to "Two & a Half Men." The latter, like "Cheers," is a poplar show in it's decade; it has a few Emmy nods but not as much awards. Comparing the "alpha males" of the shows, Sam Malone was almost verbally explicit whenever he made moves on any women, whether it was some unknown chick on one ep, on&off-again suiteheart Diane, or the more resistant Rebecca. Perhaps such pick-up lines seemed OK b4 one of our Supreme Court Justices taught us what "sexual harrassment" is. But maybe it's the art of the chase. Sam's portrayal as a player is certainly different from Charlie Harper's, where in almost every episode you c Charlie not say such inventive or horny lines 2 a woman but often she is in his bed undressed the next scene, if not the 1st. Perhaps u must assume that Charlie always gets the girl. 2ndly, Sam also has a unique chemistry w/ Diane and Rebecca, the two women who I think shaped his aspect on being a player & on, um, female companionship. Rebecca was kind of just one agonisingly long conquest, which could be done if she & Sam couldn't readily fall deeply in love w/ each other. Diane, on the other hand, was such a polar opposite whose chemistry was unstable enough 2 drive Sam to do life-changing things, e.g. relapse, sell the bar, sail around the world. On the other hand, Charlie's interaction w/ women such as paramours Mia or Chelsea, or perhaps even stalker Rose, is so uninteresting. I think Mia was supposed to be distinguishable by the fact that she was harder 2 woo than any other girl. But after that, she just became a girlfriend that tried 2 change Charlie & failed.

Well, as I can see by the scroll bar, I've typed enough, & it is 1:41 AM. Lemme w8 4 any replies & I can + on 2 the thread. But I do wanna mention 1 more thing. Sam Malone did have one code of ethics: never to sleep w/ women who were underage, married, or comatose. Charlie Harper has had sex w/ wives not his own, & u can assume he's seduced a comatose chick. But he does draw the line on 17-year-olds & younger. I dunno about Hell, but @ least jail is real. & oh yeah, also distant relatives (i.e. Gloria).

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Jul 7, 2009
    • level: 63
    So... how exactly are we supposed to comment on this?

geoellis2

[3]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 38
    Yes, I agree. The sexual escapades on television today, are just plain emotionless. 'Two and A Half Men' is one of the better ones, yikes. Other shows, like 'New Adventures of Old Christine', make a mockery out of love and relationships. Hollywood has been doing this to us for years, and getting more and more bold in doing so. For me, 'Cheers' was sexually funny without being gross, and there was always actual feelings involved, rather than just pleasure for pleasure's sake, which, let's face it, the vast majority of people do not involve themselves in. 'Sex in the city' is another example of "let's throw sex and ambiguity in the viewer's faces", with no space for responsibility, passion, or consideration for others' feelings. We can't really pinpoint that blame on any one show, but certainly, Hollywood TV has taken a moral dive since the provocative sexual tension on shows like 'Cheers'.

(note to HelloStuart): you either respond with a different point of view, or concur with the post. It is not difficult.
    Edited on 09/24/2009 3:45pm