Cheers Forums

NBC (ended 1993)

What episode has Cliff's "Buffalo Theory"?

spam33

[1]Jun 7, 2006
    • level: 1

Any idea?  I'd love to clip that sound bite. 

This is the one...

Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Thanks.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

geoellis2

[2]Jun 7, 2006
    • level: 38
    Good question. Whatever episode it is, I have not seen it in a long time, and I watch ten or eleven per week.

chipsaugratin

[3]Jun 8, 2006
    • level: 3
    I am 100% convinced that Cliff NEVER said such a thing on "Cheers."    As a "Cheers" fan since Sept. 30, 1982, I have seen every episode more that once. I now own seasons1-7 on DVD and I will puchase season 8 on Tuesday.
    That "quote" is an internet thing that has been circulating for years, and it sounds vaguely like something Cliff might have said, but I firmly believe that it does not originate from "Cheers" and the only thing that could change my mind would be DVD evidence to the contrary. Ergo, I submit that the answer to spam33's question is "None of them."  If I am wrong, I may, in the words of Dr. Simon Finch-Royce, "take my own life in the most disgusting manner possible."

Diogo22

[4]Jun 8, 2006
    • level: 15
    Simon fynch royce was an amazing portray by john cleese. and he was absolutely right, those 2 were completely a miss match, I love much more of the Buddy relationship, with a hint of sex Sam had with Rebecca, even more so now, because if you watch seasons 1-5 back to back, there comes a point where you go "so, what else in this fight is new?" problem is that back than there were fewer reruns and no "complete season" sets, because now, as much as you like Diane, you will wanna shoot her at some point, and painfully. the difference in that is also that Sam is a "guys guy", and Diane is so NOT a girls girl. she is too snob for that, and too opinianated to be a people person. and that didn't exactly endure her to the audience. the same would have happen with Frasier, but he always tried to fit in, and at least made an effort to become part of the gang, up until season 6, when he became a family man, and than a father, a betrayed husband and a man of the house (on Frasier). it was apparent by the time Diane left she would never really fit in the group as close as sam or norm or cliff did, so I'm glad she went. watching Cheers with Rebecca it became more farsical (an old fashioned wedding, for ex) and than it really felt like a comedy. with Sam and Diane it felt more like a soap opera, specially if you watch a number of them back to back

ScreamingViking

[5]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 6
    ya I'm a big fan and never heard that one.....interesting

Spartan2k88

[6]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 32
    that seems like a long story for Cliff to tell....i don't think the others would have let him continue!

n8ski

[7]Apr 24, 2007
    I think it might have been in an opening sequence. Does anyone else recall this?

seinfeld111690

[8]Apr 24, 2007
    • level: 25
    n8ski wrote:
    I think it might have been in an opening sequence. Does anyone else recall this?

Wow this is an old thread

Spartan2k88

[9]Apr 24, 2007
    • level: 32
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    n8ski wrote:

yeah, i don't think it was real either...

seinfeld111690

[10]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 25
    Spartan2k88 wrote:
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    n8ski wrote:

I dont think it was either

CaptainCaputo

[11]May 4, 2007
    • level: 7
    I don't remeber that one either and I've seen almost every episode

sheltonlee

[12]May 5, 2007
    • level: 2
    I have seen all episodes several times and I don't recall that one either.

Shelton

HelloStuart

[13]May 5, 2007
    • level: 63
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    Spartan2k88 wrote:
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    n8ski wrote:

I dont think it was either

The "Buffalo Theory" is an old urban legend. Whoever sent that e-mail to you (or forwarded it) simply added the names of two Cheers characters on it.

ScreamingViking

[14]May 20, 2007
    • level: 6
    don't recall that one

Tirian62

[15]Dec 17, 2011

The reason why you people have never seen this, is that you have only ever seen the american censored version.

I live in Europe, where we don't censor the crap out of everything, and I can tell you that is this indeed from a Cheers episode. I cannot remember which one, but I have seen it a couple of times

bob_ca

[16]Dec 21, 2011

Hi All, I agree with Tirian62, the episode exists. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a "Buffalo Theory" episode where Cliff tells Norm about theory of natural selection, the strongest survive and that is why you feel smarter after a few beers. I also very clearly remember asimilar episode in the Simpsons. I don't recall if it was Buffalo or Deer, but home told the story to Bart, it ended the same way,"...that is why you feel smarter after a few beers". Back to Tirian62's post, is it possible there is some copyright issues, and the episode has beencensoredin some way? With the hlep of this blog and Google, I say we do some more research see if we can find these clips. Thanks, Bob

Edited on 12/21/2011 1:23pm

bob_ca

[17]Dec 21, 2011
    Update ... it's listed as a quote on the IMDB web page, if anyone has IMDB Pro, I bet they can look up the episode number. Here's the quote on IMDB ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083399/quotes?qt=qt0461693

bob_ca

[18]Dec 21, 2011
    Here's another TV.com Forum with the same question ... http://www.tv.com/shows/cheers/forums/anyone-remember-the-buffalo-theory-181-1261696/

bob_ca

[19]Dec 21, 2011
    Enotes web site (http://www.enotes.com/topic/Cliff_Clavin) says the quote is an Urban Legend ...

Buffalo Theory
    "The Buffalo Theory" is an "Urban legend" that is often attributed to Cliff Clavin from Cheers. The "quote" does sound like something Cliff could have said but is not from the actual show. The Buffalo Theory goes like the following:

"Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."