Cheers Forums

NBC (ended 1993)

What's the first episode that you EVER saw?

HelloStuart

[21]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 63
    schumway2 wrote:
    I'm sure I saw lots of episodes when I was really young but can't remember. The first I remember that's recent is the episode when the guy in the bar keeps telling Cliff to shut up. It was in season 2 I think and the guy really detests Cliff in the episode.

As I recall, that episode was important for Cliff's character development, though he became a bit more obnoxious as time wore on.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spartan2k88

[22]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 32
    HelloStuart wrote:
    schumway2 wrote:
    I'm sure I saw lots of episodes when I was really young but can't remember. The first I remember that's recent is the episode when the guy in the bar keeps telling Cliff to shut up. It was in season 2 I think and the guy really detests Cliff in the episode.

As I recall, that episode was important for Cliff's character development, though he became a bit more obnoxious as time wore on.

which made him more funny!!

Chambers075

[23]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 8
    I always found Cliff so annoying when he would butt in on Sam and Diane's conversations. rofl. i wanted to just crawl into the tv and slap him!! -_- I have season 2 and that episode, is like ... one of the funniest on the season, besides the one where Diane is spooked by that ... fortune telling machine. god that's hilarious. =)

Spartan2k88

[24]Feb 4, 2006
    i love when cliff would just go off talking...like when he was talking about all the restaurants..."You know who doesn't have to worry? Denny. Cause no one knows what he looks like" lol

IndianaMom

[25]Mar 20, 2006
    • level: 54
    I must be older than all of you. I distinctly remember when Cheers first aired as a mid-season replacement. It was the smartest, funniest show I think I'd ever seen.

The ratings were kind of low for a while. I think if a show like it were to premiere these days and get the same type of ratings (2006 equivilant) it wouldn't last very long. Even in those days NBC was being very lenient to keep Cheers on. As I remember, they didn't have much to fall back on. They were doing pretty badly.

Spartan2k88

[26]Mar 20, 2006
    IndianaMom wrote:
    I must be older than all of you. I distinctly remember when Cheers first aired as a mid-season replacement. It was the smartest, funniest show I think I'd ever seen.

considering im only 17, there's a good chance that you're older! lol

bkl63

[27]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 2
    So hard to remember as it was so darn long ago. I know it wasn't the first episode because I wasn't one of the 10 people who watched it.

But I I did get into it during the first season it aired.

HelloStuart

[28]Mar 24, 2006
    IndianaMom wrote:

The ratings were kind of low for a while. I think if a show like it were to premiere these days and get the same type of ratings (2006 equivilant) it wouldn't last very long. Even in those days NBC was being very lenient to keep Cheers on. As I remember, they didn't have much to fall back on. They were doing pretty badly.

Actually, A) Cheers premired in the Fall of 1982, and though it did go on a six-week hiatus at one point it was never a midseason replacement and B) given how cable continues to eat away at network television, the low numbers that Cheers earned in 1982 would be so-so by today's standards.

geoellis2

[29]Mar 27, 2006
    • level: 38
    I, too, am older than most of you, and saw the first episode in the fall of '82. At the end of that season it almost got cancelled with Taxi, but they took a chance on a second season. It really took off, though, when it followed The Cosby Show and Family Ties - Thursday night Must See TV.
    Anyway, I have seen every episode many times, and there are very few I can't watch over and over ad infinitum. Oddly the first one is one of those.

IndianaMom

[30]Mar 29, 2006
    • level: 54
    HelloStuart wrote:
    IndianaMom wrote:

Actually, A) Cheers premired in the Fall of 1982, and though it did go on a six-week hiatus at one point it was never a midseason replacement and B) given how cable continues to eat away at network television, the low numbers that Cheers earned in 1982 would be so-so by today's standards.

I stand corrected. I'm not sure why I thought it was a midseason replacement.

Chambers075

[31]Mar 29, 2006
    Jeeze. Rub it in my faces, guys. I'm probably the youngest here ... 14 going on 15. And I remeber hearing that Cheers had low raitings ... but ... I can't see how. It was such an awsome show. (Would've been better if Diane would've STAYED!! >.

HelloStuart

[32]Mar 29, 2006
    IndianaMom wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    IndianaMom wrote:

I stand corrected. I'm not sure why I thought it was a midseason replacement.

No harm done. I just wanted to point that out.

In a way, Shelley Long's departure was a mixed blessing. The show wouldn't have that same feel again, but at least she left just before they ran the Sam-Diane romance into the ground.

LB80

[33]May 18, 2006
    • level: 65
    I don't thinkĀ I started watching it until about Season 6/Season 7, but then I ended up watching it every time it was on, I can't remember the first episode I saw though

megashredder

[34]May 20, 2006
    • level: 9
    i cant remember i think it was heeeres clify i was brought up watching it so i dont remember

HelloStuart

[35]May 24, 2006
    To answer that question that I've been avoiding...

I think the first episode I saw was the one where Sam starts the support group for missing cars.

Atomicfireball

[36]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 2
    last week at my friends house, we staayed up all night and watched the 1st season, its now my fav show. So i guess mine is the pilot.

seinfeld111690

[37]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 25
    First episode of the sixth season or an 11th season episode.

seinfeldfan_13

[38]Jun 21, 2006
    The first one I saw was Truce or Consequences in Season 1

ScreamingViking

[39]Jul 2, 2006
    • level: 6
    pick a con any con

Lokar

[40]Jul 3, 2006
    • level: 26
    I think the first one I saw was the one where Carla goes nuts at the Yankee fan.