Cheers Forums

NBC (ended 1993)

Why did Frasier become so popular?

nmcdowall

[1]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 9
    Just wondering about peoples thoughts about how Frasier became such a successful spin off? Im not saying I dont like Frasier, far from it, but to me it wasn't an obvious choice of character for a spin off, unlike say Joey from Friends. Though that hasn't been particularly successful.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spartan2k88

[2]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 32
    he was probably the character with the most versatality and Kelsey Grammer probably was the only one of them that could actually star in his own spinoff. Nick Tortelli couldn't do it. His show lasted only a few episodes. That would be my guess though..

alvixx

[3]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 11
    I think Joy will be just as popular, they are both good spin-off from an awesome show!

HelloStuart

[4]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 63
    nmcdowall wrote:
    Just wondering about peoples thoughts about how Frasier became such a successful spin off? Im not saying I dont like Frasier, far from it, but to me it wasn't an obvious choice of character for a spin off, unlike say Joey from Friends. Though that hasn't been particularly successful.

Frasier's advantage was Joey's disadvantage- familiarity. We never really go to learn about Dr. Crane's background on Cheers, outside of a few fleeting references to his dead mom, which gave the show's writers a clean palate to work with. On the other hand, we learned everything we ever needed to know about Joey Tribbiani via Friends, and as a result the writers of the spinoff grew pigeonholed and ran out of ideas fairly quickly.

IndianaMom

[5]Mar 20, 2006
    • level: 54
    The key to Frasier's success was the same as Cheers. A great ensemble cast. Kelsey Grammer wasn't afraid to play the straight man to David Hyde Pierce and others.

Diogo22

[6]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 15
    Frasier didn't have one star. it had 2 stars, and 3 co-stars A players. that makes a good show. take joey for example. Matt Leblanc is a good lead, but he's not an A player. Mathew Parry would have been a better choice for a spin off, he just didn't wanna do it.
    plus there's the generational thing. everybody knows that to make a good comedy you must have 2 generations of characters at least. the exception to this rule that worked was Friends, but in all the rest, in order to get credible conflict you must have 2 generations of actors, and Frasier had that.
    take the supporting cast from Joey; who the hell is Paulo Constanzo??? and andrea anders? ok Drea de Mattreo was on the Sopranos, but she was basically a punching bag and a half prostitute to one of the supporting characters on that show

Jane leaves was already established as a recognizable face on tv from her appearences on Murphy Brown and Seinfeld.
    David Hyde Pierce had been for years on a show called "Powers that be", and he was a respected theater actor, as was John Mahoney. add that to KG and his 9 years on Cheers and you have a great show. these people are just WAY MORE talent, therefore they made a better show. it's as simple as that. and Frasier had another thing that was an advantage. for all the silliness and goofing that went on, at its base it was a very very smart show. farcical at its best, and could present a variety of genres in the same half hour. we had some great comedy, great farce, sometimes touches on a little drama, we had love, we had laughs and a good closure. that makes a good show, as good as this one was.

MsCoffee

[7]Apr 9, 2006
    • level: 2
    Fraiser was one of the only characters that could sustain his own series. The dialogue with Frasier was almost never the same thing but always entertaining, with Norm and Cliffy it was always the same thing over and over, it was good but would get boring for an entire series, even and entire episode would be boring!

Chambers075

[8]Apr 20, 2006
    • level: 8
    Hmm. I was watching Fraiser the other day and Diane appeared on the episode and she was all breaking down because of her play. OMG. I think that's the reason Fraiser is so popular. Because it's hilarious! Besides the fact that the show has some pretty good actors, the scripts and episodes are unbelivable. Hilarious and fun to watch, like Cheers.

seinfeld111690

[9]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 25
    Frasier was the man, I think he was the only one who wanted to do a spin off.

HelloStuart

[10]Apr 21, 2006
    Diogo22 wrote:
    Frasier didn't have one star. it had 2 stars, and 3 co-stars A players. that makes a good show. take joey for example. Matt Leblanc is a good lead, but he's not an A player. Mathew Parry would have been a better choice for a spin off, he just didn't wanna do it. Plus there's the generational thing. Everybody knows that to make a good comedy you must have 2 generations of characters at least. the exception to this rule that worked was Friends, but in all the rest, in order to get credible conflict you must have 2 generations of actors, and Frasier had that.
    take the supporting cast from Joey; who the hell is Paulo Constanzo and Andrea Anders? Okay, Drea de Mattreo was on the Sopranos, but she was basically a punching bag and a half prostitute to one of the supporting characters on that show.

Plus, it had a lot to do with the fact that the writing on "Joey" sucked.

geoellis2

[11]Apr 23, 2006
    • level: 38
    I think personally that Woody would have made a good spin-off. He became a City councilman at the end of Cheers, but he probably didn't want too - successful movie career and all that. I don't think Dianne or Rebecca could carry a full show and Sam's story was already completely told. Besides, as has already been said, Frasier's supporting cast members were excellent.

Spartan2k88

[12]Apr 24, 2006
    i dont know if the character, Woody, had enough range to cover a whole series. I guess they couldve gone off about him and Kelly

TVFan91

[13]Apr 28, 2006
    • level: 3

Did Frasier and Lilith get divorced on Cheers or Frasier?

seinfeld111690

[14]Apr 28, 2006
    • level: 25
    TVFan91 wrote:

Yeah I have been wondering that.

Spartan2k88

[15]Apr 29, 2006
    TVFan91 wrote:

they were seperated on Cheers, but then they got back together....so it couldnt have been on Cheers

TVFan91

[16]Apr 29, 2006
    • level: 3
    I like Frasier but I don't like "Frasier" so much.

geoellis2

[17]May 1, 2006
    I believe in the first episode of Frasier, he had divorced and just arrived in Seattle, so it was not really covered in either series.

Also, I do think Woody could have carried a series about a city councilman and his rich wife, sort of a Spin City.

geoellis2

[18]May 1, 2006

Yes, just got confirmation. Frasier tells his dad Martin in the first episode that he left Lilith (and Boston) because his life had become stagnant (hanging in the bar) and he needed a change, even though the two had tried a reconciliation.

He also states in that episode that he misses his son Frederick, and has done for six months, so presumably he had moved out of their home at that time, even though he has just recently arrived in Seattle.

Edited on 05/01/2006 3:30pm
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[19]May 3, 2006
    TVFan91 wrote:

Actually, between both shows. I think it was alluded to in the pilot episode of "Frasier" that at least six months had passed since the events of the final episode of "Cheers."

Aldrius

[20]May 22, 2006
    • level: 10
    I think it has to do with Frasier having a life outside Cheers. And what little we knew about his life outside Cheers. Plus in "Frasier" they tried to get away from Cheers, not bury it... just... go in a different direction.