Cheers

Give Me a Ring Sometime

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 30, 1982 on NBC

• This pilot set the tone for what was to come.

Unlike most pilot episodes, (especially on sitcoms), they just about got it right the first time. Most of the cast of characters were included, and they didn\'t have to tinker with the personalities much. We already could see the tension between Sam and Diane, and Carla, Norm, and Coach were pretty well-defined from the start. As with any ensemble, there would be changes during the eleven season run, but the feel of the setting and the jokes were in place. We knew that Sumner wouldn\'t come back and we knew that Diane would have some sort of relationship with Sam. Diane already had that stuffy, pompous attitude that would irritate Sam and the others, while providing plenty of fodder for humor. And the bar itself presented its own charm from the beginning. All that remained to be done was write some great storylines.
  • A wonderful start to a creative series.

The first episode of Cheers was a classic and well written start to a television series that to this day is still my favorite. We are introduced to the characters that would enter our homes for years to come in a very straightforward and subtle manner.

The episode does a great job of setting up what would end up being a complicated and entertaining relationship between Sam and Diane. Coach set the groundwork for his character who played his role to a tee. Cliff, Carla and Norm were also a great addition to this strong cast.

The opening sceen and camera work were unique and creative as well.
  • Great pilot episode!

On this pilot episode, Diane Chambers suddenly finds herself dumped by her fiance and taking on a job as a waitress. I really can\'t imagine a better way to start a show that would later become a huge hit. This pilot is extremely well written, acted and produced. It seems as if this is one of the best pilots ever made and -yes- you can spot the potential right from the very beggining (although, this episode was a real disaster in the ratings). Nevertheless, everything needed to make a show a success is here. No wonder NBC picked it up.
  • Absolute Classic

What an absolute comedy classic. This episode introduces us to the Boston bar Cheers and all the great workers and customers. Cheers has got to be one of the greatest comedies of all time. I've been catching it on and off on TV Land for months but haven't seen the first episode until today. What a great introduction to a great series.
WZME