Cheers

I Do and Adieu

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM May 07, 1987 on NBC

• For me, this marked the end of the Original Cheers that I will always remember and love

I always get a lump in my throat each time I watch this episode. For me, Cheers was most entertaining in scenes between Sam and Diane. They had terrific and amazing chemistry. The scenes of Sam and Diane in old age interspersed in this episode are funny, touching, and how the series should have ended. I remember watching this show when it first aired and throughout its time on the air. I always thought the finale would harken back to this episode and even if Sam and Diane never married in the end, then show this scene again of them growing old together, at least letting the viewer know that while Sam and Diane did not marry or end up together at the end of the show, they would someday grow old together.

I continued to watch the show in hopes of Diane making a guest appearance but it did not happen until the Finale. And why the brought her back to have Sam and Diane just decide to break up once again made no sense.

But this episode, now this one was perfection, it showed how much Sam loved Diane, he loved her enough to let her go and pursue her dream. This stands in contrast to the Finale where Sam questions if he loves Diane or ever loved her, this episode contradicts all of that and shows Sam loving Diane in the most unselfish way.

Now when I watch the reruns, it is only seasons 1 through 5 and I stop at this episode. I have no interest in watching what happens after that. Once is enough for me with the Rebecca years, that is for sure. And I only like Lilith and Woody and Coach besides Sam and Diane. I really did not like Frasier, or Carla at all.

• Have a Good Life

Have a good life the last words we hear as diane goes up the stairs.
    My 2nd favorite episode the scenes were the characters are older are very good and this episode still brings a tear to my eye.
    My favorite episode is a post diane 2 parter where carla gets married.
    I wasnt aware of the alternate ending they filmed but didnt show.
    Wish it was avaliable on dvd.
    I also bealive this probally was the best season with diane in it seasons 1-4 were ok but season 5 kinda put things over the top for me.
    I give this episode a 10 cheers.
  • alando7, NBC wouldn't be stupid enough to keep show where the leading man and woman didn't have chemistry if that was what the entire situation of the show called for. It lasted 6 years without Shelley, they had chemistry.

• This is my favorite episode of Cheers. The conclusion to Sam and Diane's relationship. In my opinion, their relationship really made the show what it was. I continued to watch Cheers after season 5 but I don't think the show ever really fully recovered fr

This is my favorite episode of Cheers. The conclusion to Sam and Diane's relationship. In my opinion, their relationship really made the show what it was. I continued to watch Cheers after season 5 but I don't think the show ever really fully recovered from Diane's departure. The chemistry between Sam and Rebecca just wasn't the same - no magic!

Seasons 4 and 5 were full of good episodes, this one I think was the best. In particular I like the daydream scenes of Sam picturing himself growing old with Diane and being happy. But of course, fate was not on their side as it were!