Cheers

NBC (ended 1993)

Carolee99

Cheers Fan Reviews (90)

• A bunch of drunks, playing sober in a bar?! WTF?!

I definitely don't think Cheers ever deserved a second season. I am a huge, huge fan of James Burrows and his work, but this show was just pure and utter filth. I mean I think the humor was way too dry, and it was just too unnatural. I hated Shelly Long, totally. The two guys, Norm and Cliff annoyed me, and the show just shouldn't have gone on. How it was one of the most watched series finales of all time is beyond me, but to each their own. This show is still abysmal. The biggest piece of trash NBC had in 1982.
  • What?

3.5
    Cheers is pathetic, and for the life of me i can't figure out why people thought this was so good. The humor is subtle ,and alot of times i can't even catch where to joke was suppose to be. So many of the stories revolve around Norm on that same old bar stool, but how the heck does he not get drunk on all that beer? Sam is incredibly lame, and Carla is probably the only reason i watch it when i choose to. Carla's brand of humor is the only one i can find funny. The Thanksgiving episode at Carla's house was a better attempt, and the episode i like is where she meets Alex Trebeck, and informs him "she can turn over letters(like Vanna White)he's never seen before! Then gives him a sexy glance as he walks away.

No cheers to Cheers!

• I know it's absolutely fabulous for the same reason that The Cosby Show and Family Ties were fabulous. Heck! It wouldn't have lasted as long as it did if it weren't fabulous!

The only thing my mom and I liked about Cheers was the song, because we could relate to walking into a public place where we were regulars and everybody knew our names. We related to people always being glad we came and people being the same. After all, who's glad about people being ticked off that you're there? Don't we all want to know that there's someone out there like us? Something's wrong with you if you like going to a place where people are so different from you that they think you're a freak in your own world. That song was sufficient for our Cheers fix. For those who wanted more than the theme song, we're happy for them too. Everyone's different.
  • i am glad it finally ended

5.3
    this show was funny for the first six or seven seasons. but it seemed to just do the same thing over and over. it was always good for a chuckle or two, but i think its best years were behind it when it finally ended. it did have one of the coolest theme songs though.
  • Pretty smart!

5.8
    Cheers was a fantastic situation comedy, huge in all areas, such as cast, episodes and laughs. Cheers was so real it felt as if you were sitting next to the regular barflys of the most endearing watering hole in TV history.

The characters of Cheers were excellent, with characteristics so real it was fascinating to observe. Sam (Ted Danson) was disgraceful yet lovable, Diane (Shelley Long) was just sublime, with her constant snobbery yet acceptance that this was where she suited best. Carla (Rhea Perlman) was viciously acidic to all yet there were rare moments when she showed her tender interior. Norm (George Wendt) and Cliff (John Ratzenberger) were a hilarious comedy double act, constantly getting into crazed situations and forever fretting about where their next jar of love was coming from. Woody (Woody Harrelson) was divinely dim, sometimes so dense it was just TOO funny to watch.

Yet among Cheers were three characters that really shone, that elevated it even further to the lofty heights of greatness. These characters were Rebecca, Frasier and Lilith, played by Kirstie Alley, Kelsey Grammer and Bebe Neuwirth. Rebecca was adorable and ditzy, always searching for her meaning in life as well as the riches she craved, Frasier was pompous yet yearned to just be 'one of the guys' and Lilith was a comedy creation to be admired, with Bebe Neuwirth playing her dry, totally devoid of emotion and cold character perfectly.

Cheers was a sitcom that deserves to be remembered as a classic. Hopefully, in twenty years from now, it will still be doing the rounds on cable TV. Only time will tell.
  • Good show, where everybody knows your name.

Cheers is a great classic sitcom, set in a little bar in Boston, the show ran from the early 80's to the early 90's. The show is set around bar owner Sam Malone, the people that work for him, and the bars loyal patrons. The show may not make you laugh out loud like other shows, but the shows writing and character based plots will make you come back for more. The shows success even led to a spin-off about psychiatrist doctor Frasier Crane, one of the bars loyal patrons. If you are looking for a good sitcom, i suggest you give cheers a try.
  • Had a good run.

This show was defeitly one of many classics I wasnt there when it first came out and still think its a classic. If it came back today it honesly wouldnt do that good because no body goes to bars anymore they mostly go to clubs so they wouldnt understand the concept.
  • Boston's bar room comedy has become a classic.

The fact that Cheers characters, quotations and catchphrases have entered the common lexicon means that this easy-going comedy has made it into the big leagues of comedy classics.

How many TV shows have their own theme bars across the world? Although the gimmicky menus and replicated sets may ring a little hollow for true fans, Cheers' strength was always in making us feel that that Boston bar represented the many pubs and taverns we've been regulars in throughout our lives.

In a way, the premise of watching the comings and goings in a busy bar was an obvious one to adopt for a comedy writer. The problem with dramatising a bar is that drinking with friends is often such a personal experience. The universal themes which Cheers used to grip its audience were lost love, growing older, and taking stock of your life. Characters like Norm, Cliff, Sam, Diane and Frazier may never have met but for the warmth of their second home.

• A classic comedy that provided much needed laughter, and built the foundations for another great comedy of the 90s/00s.

Sometimes you get influenced by your parents or older relatives on shows that you watch, and Cheers is the case for me. It was something that mainly broadcast when I was too young to appreciate it.

Set in a sports bar in Boston, Cheers is about people who form unlikely friendships with each other by coming at the end of the day (or the whole day in Norm's case) to Cheers in order to relax. It sets the scene for plenty of comic opportunities, as well as the brilliantly-written characters who you grow very fond of after just a few episodes.

This is my favourite classic comedy that is a class above the rest in my opinion. It is definitely worth a glance.
  • You will always have fun with Sam, Carla, Norm, and Cliff.

Cheers was a wonderful show that brings back many fond memories of growing up at home. My parents and I always watched this show while eating dinner. Sometimes the show was more on the serious a even occasionally on the depresing side, but over all this was a fun show to watch characters grow and bond. The shows main focus was on the bar tender Sam Malone and it showed his life as a wild bachelar. In the end Sam realized some of the important things in life that he was missing out on and had to face some life changing decisions. This show has many memorable moments such as: Cliff going on Jeapordy, Sky diving advertisment, Diane says goodbye, and turning the back room into a tea room. This show is very fun and highly recomended.
  • Cheers is a great show! It has a lot of comedy that keeps you glued to the screen, especially with the plots.

Cheers is a great show! It has a lot of comedy that keeps you glued to the screen, especially with the plots. Cheers could be better if the whole entire series wasn't always at a bar. (Except restaurants or peoples homes)It's off the wall! Overall, Cheers was a great show!
  • It's about a group of people who(if nothing else) share one interest: a small bar in Boston. With a sarcastic attitude, a bar bumb, an x-alcoholic, a nut-case, an uptight boss and so much more, it's hard not to crack-up at this outragiously funny comedy!

I absolutely love this show!!! Even though it ended a couple years ago I still watch the reruns whenever I can. Every show, every time it makes me laugh until I can't breath. The thing i like most about this show is that it will make you walk away smiling. It will make your day a little better i think. The completely different and off the wall characters are what make the show so funny and entertaining. I recomend this show to teenagers and up because some of the content can be a little rough. But in my oppinion that makes the show ten times funnier!
  • Cheers is the place where everyone knowns your name, and you will want to visit this bar time after time again.

Cheers was and still is a classic sitcom. Its a show about the basic things in life, like sitting down chatting with people, and not really carring about the harder things in life. Cheers had a cast of wonderfully likeable charecters, and each episode was filled with laughter and compfort. It's a show that really lets you relax and take time out of your day and just enjoy that half hour of classic television! Cheers for me is a great show to vist time and time again!
  • just watch very good

When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean. Reviews must be 100 words minimum. We encourage you to try to get your review right the first time--you may choose to edit it later on, but by doing so, you will lose any positive feedback associated with the review. We encourage you to write your review in a word processor or text editor, save it to your local disk, then copy and paste it in the box below.
  • a b c d e f g h i j

a b c d e f g h i j a b c d e f g h i j a b c d e f g h i j a b c d e f g h i j a b c d e f g h i j
  • Possibly the best romantic comedy taking place in a natural, every-day setting. The jokes and situations are those in which will and are always relevant. This show will never be behind the times unless people stop being people.

Starting with Sam and Diane, the cast created within this sitcom was perfect. The characters each represented a part of American culture and reflected so accurately that everyone not only knew their name, but everyone could determine who represented them. It was like looking into a mirror of your own life when watching this show. Sam, a former alcoholic and semi-sucessful professional baseball pitcher, opens a neighborhood bar and the hilarity enues from the first day on. What is truly remarkable about this series is that while some episodes and seasons were better than others, the producers and writers never let the show truly get dull. They changed character focus, main themes, and kept this sitcom entertaining and arousing despite being in the air twelve seasons. Never did this show let you down for more than two episodes during its entire run. One of the few shows that I truly love, not becauseof its cultural impact, but because it was just downright funny...all the time.
  • Cheers is prehaps the best show made.

The series was set in the Cheers Bar, and revolved around the life of bar owner Sam, and his employee's. Seasons 1-5 introduced Diane, the snobby, intelligent waitress who is forced to work at Cheers after she is left there by her fiance. Diane also served as the "hard to get" love candy for Sam, the studly bar owner and former Red Sox pitcher. Seasons 1-5 also introduced a variation of supporting characters such as: Norm, the everyday bar regular whose tab is larger than his gut. Cliff, the hard core mailman who was usually the bud of Carla's joke. Carla, the witty and sometimes harsh head waitress at the bar. Fraiser, the sometimes serious psychologist who kept the others in check. And Coach, the lovable co-bartender and Sam's old coach. Sadly, the actor who played Coach died during the filming of the third season. Coach was replaced with Woody, the lovable, naive farm boy. After season 5, Diane dumped Sam and left the bar for good, which led Sam to sell the bar to a big corporation and sail around the world. After Sam returned he was dismayed to see what the corporation had done to it. The new owner was Rebbecca, who served as Sam's new love interest. The remainder of the show revolved around Sam trying to buy back the bar, and win over it's owner.
  • Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name.

Cheers was a wonderful show; I still watch the reruns on tv all the time, and it still has the ability to make me laugh, even when I've seen the episode over and over; even when I know what the episode is from the very first line. I still laugh, because it's just a funny show.

It had a great mix of characters, and even when circumstances didn't allow those characters to continue (ie: Coach), they managed to replace the one with another who, while not the same, was a good fit with the rest of the group. There were characters to love and characters to hate; characters to sympathize with and characters to laugh at. Cheers had it all.
  • Excellent show. Watched it off-and-on w/ by dad when I was quite young, though still enjoyed it.

I watched Cheers a little bit here and there when I was younger. Even though I was not able to pick up on everything that was said or done I still enjoyed the show. It was designed very well. Now when I do see it I am able to enjoy it even more because one I pick up on what all is going on, but also because it does remind me of when I was younger. It's great when driving around or whatever and I see a Cheers, the song instantly pops into my head. I don't think there has been a theme song which has stuck with me so heavily.
  • An excellent show that progressed well.

Cheers a show set in a bar lasted for 11 seasons. A show in a bar, that's right, and it lasted. Cheers had an amazing cast which made the show able to go for as long as it did. It lived for another ten years with Frasier. But Cheers in itself will always be remembered as what it was. A show no one would get tired of. Ted Danson became Becker after being Sam and a lot of the Cheers cast guest appeared on Becker as completely new people. It tells us of what friends these superstars became. An excellent show of an extremely high quality, we say cheers to cheers.
  • A story of the working staff of a bar in Boston as they interact with the customers

The show is an improbable setting about an alcoholic with no business sense buying a bar. And other improbable features tend to get overlooked - such as the volume of time that a busy psychiatrist spends there, the way that the patrons identify themselves with the business of the bar, etc.

The strength of Cheers is the mix and range of characters, and the persistency of the cast. Over 11 years, there were only 2 major cast changes - one provoked by the death of Nicholas Colasanto - and only 1 major cast addition, Frasier Crane.

Ironically, the anchor character, the symbol of steadiness, was the ill-employed Norm Peterson. The height of Norm's steadiness was emphasized in a throw-away scene. A customer returned to Cheers after 20 years only to find everything changed, though he did recognize Norm sitting on his barstool, sitting exactly where he was sitting 20 years earlier.

Intellects range from the hyper-intellectual Diane to the lower-IQ-than-a-paper-napkin Sam, to the pseudo-intellectual Cliff. Temperments range from the fiery Carla, to the innocent and naive Woody. Rebecca was introduced as all-business, but was quickly exposed as a ditz.

• Cheers had a strong pilot episode but aside from a few exceptions couldn't match it until the 5th season...

Cheers had a strong pilot episode but aside from a few exceptions couldn't match it until the 5th season, and didn't hit it's stride until the 6th.

The 5th season was Diane's last, and the writers had finally found the right "on again, off again" chemistry for she and Sam culminating in one of the series better episodes "Simon Says".

In a way Cheers ended after season 5 and became an entirely new and funnier show in season 6. Rebecca was not only good at belittling Sam (like Diane) but also at being even sleazier than him.

The show remained consistent until the last couple seasons when it became obvious it was losing steam.

Ted Danson originally wanted to leave after season 8 but was enticed by the producers to stay on a few more seasons. By the 11th it was definitely time to call it quits.

The Cheers finale remains in my opinion one of the best send-offs in sitcom history. However, my favorite episode would have to be "an old-fashioned wedding".
  • i love this classic series

I love this show so much. it shouldn't have gone off the air, but the actor who played Sam had to "find himself"??? (it says this on the Seinfeld DVD's but maybe I'm wrong) I still love this show. Norm is hilarious so is Cliff and Wanda. I always hate the woman Sam lieks though, whatever there names are.

EROK
  • Making your way in the world today takes everything you got.

Wouldn't you like to get away. Sometimes you aught to go were everybody knows your name, and their always glad you came. You wanna be were you can be. You wanna go were everybody knows your name. It is a classic show. There are no shows like it any more. I was basically a very relaxing show.
  • good show good cast ... the shelly era was the best tho with .... woody taking over more each season probally best sit com of the 80's

a must watch for the
    80's sit com's sam and di and then rebecca and ...
    woody become more ... in the show ..
    the tension as it ...became more and more each season too
    the early seaons are the best tho
    the newness and
    norm and cliff with carla ...
    plus the new guy a triva question for all you cheers fans is = well tell me huh
    Anthony
  • One of the all time classics that will be enjoyed for all eternity.

Whenever you walk in to a cozy bar to have some brews, you might just think of Cheers. This show is sort of the gold standard of sitcoms in my opinion. The unforgetable characters from Norm, to Sam were all perfectly cast and the actors really made the series. Another great thing is the theme, You have to rank the Cheers theme top 10 or even top 5 of all-time sitcom themes. Kirsty Alley never was better and say the same for Shelly Long, she was the better leading lady for the show, but Alley filled in very nicely. Overall this show ranks right up there with the best of all time.
  • A TV Great

• Great!

Cheers is a great show. One of the top 15 ever and definitely one of the top 5-10 shows of the last 30 years. It lasted such a long time and deserved every season it was on. It wasnt one that people kept watching just for nostalgia, it really was a fantastic show the whole time. By the last season it was reaching for story lines a bit, but it was still great. Very few shows can have such big casting changes (Nicholas Colassanto to Woody Harrelson and Shelley Long to Kirstie Alley) and still last that long. Definitely a classic and unique in feel and setting.
  • This is probably the best sitcom released in the 80s.

When the show was released in 1982, hardly anybody watched it. With the bad ratings, it's surprising that it even made it to season 2. Once it did though, it became one of the funniest and most original series in Television history.

First, the setting for this show was classic. Who had ever heard of a bar for a TV show backdrop? Who has even done it since? It's so original from the get go, but the characters are where the show really shines.

You have Cliff, the postal worker who is gullible trivia buff who is constantly telling stories that nobody gives a crap about.

There's Norm, the guy who has a huge running tab there and is there so often he actually has his own seat that nobody else dares sit in. He also has a wife, Vera, that nobody ever sees since he's always at the bar.

Sam is the owner of the bar (well at least at first) who is extremely vain and conceited but only has eyes for one of his employees, played by Shelly Long.

Then there's Woody, which in my opinion made the show SO much better. His country innocence and stupidity made for some of the best lines on the show. When he came in after Coach died, the show was that much better.

80 or so precent of the shots of this show were in the Cheers bar, but with the people they had playing these parts there didn't need to be a wide variance of locales to keep up viewer interest. As a bar patron myself, I could only wish to frequent a place like Cheers where everybody truly knew your name.
  • Are they going to do a reunion?

Cheers is a very good show. I used to watch it when it aired years back. I always laughed at all the characters' jokes they say to one another. Woody and Norm are my favorite characters because their comedy is funny together. Sam is another favorite of mine because he's the leader, I think, and he's supposed to be the finniest or one of the funniest of the cast.
< 1 2 3