Cheers

NBC (ended 1993)

Carolee99

Cheers Fan Reviews (90)

• Cheers

This is one of the funniest shows ever!! Woody Boyd is my favorite character!! I think the funniest moment on cheers was when Frasier goes "I am running with scissors!!!!" hahaha yeah this is an awesome show!
  • A CLASSIC

Probably one of the best.

If only shows were made with the witty humor that Cheers had. The whole cast of Cheers was incredible and you could relate to parts of every character.

Shows like Cheers and Friends are so good because they are about people and they make you want to be a part of their group. I dont know how many times when i was watching the show that I dreamed of being able to in the the bar and shout NORM!
  • Good show, where everybody knows your name.

Cheers is a great classic sitcom, set in a little bar in Boston, the show ran from the early 80's to the early 90's. The show is set around bar owner Sam Malone, the people that work for him, and the bars loyal patrons. The show may not make you laugh out loud like other shows, but the shows writing and character based plots will make you come back for more. The shows success even led to a spin-off about psychiatrist doctor Frasier Crane, one of the bars loyal patrons. If you are looking for a good sitcom, i suggest you give cheers a try.
  • Best Comedy Ever

"Where Everyone Knows Your Name" and you felt like you were at the bar watching and laughing.. Cheers is just a classic show plain and simple. Smart, Funny and Iconic. It has some of the best writing ever on a sitcom. And Everyone Really Knows the names of the characters , Sam, Norm. Cliff, Diane, Carla, Rabecca, Coach, Woody, Fraiser, Lilith... Some of the shows I couldn't eat or drink during because I laughed so hard. The show could be the reason I love bars now. Maybe I am looking for a bar that made me feel the way Cheer's did.
  • Growing up with the gang at Cheers

Cheers is a special show for me. I grew up as a teenager watching Cheers. For me, I really didn't like the Cosby Show or Family Ties. I was one of the few who watched Cheers not as a part of NBC's Thursday lineup, but as a fan of Sam, Diane, Norm, Cliff, Coach and eventually Frasier, Woody, and Rebecca.

I'd even watch midnight Cheers episodes on WPIX while in high school - they were airing in syndication while the show was still on NBC. There's dialogue I'll always remember, and while it suffered in its later years, it ended strongly - and introduced me to my favorite all-time sitcom, Frasier.
  • Outstanding writing, strong characters, strong direction combine to create one of the best comedies in a place of "where everybody knows your name."

Cheers was to some extent two shows: with Diane and without Diane. In general, the "with Diane" shows were far superior because of both the character tension between Sam and Diane ("two people who not only should not marry, [they] should never see one another again") and the fact the Shelly Long is a far more accomplished and stable actress than Kirstie Alley whose Rebecca Howe was a poorly defined character in part I suspect because Alley was so unstable (something that became quite apparent after the show went off the air).

That said, the without-Diane shows were greatly enhanced by the expanded presence of not only Frazier Crane but also (and especially) that of Lilith Sternin Crane, a tour de force for Bebe Neuwerth.

The writing on the show was consistently outstanding and probably its greatest strength. The acting, with the exception of the very uneven Kirstie Alley, was uniformly solid and Rhea Perlman was particularly strong in making the audience largely look past the fact that her character was almost entirely two-dimensional with little function other than delivering sarcastic punch lines. The directing too was outstanding. Because the other characters (excepting the aforementioned Rebecca Howe) were so well drawn and well acted, the viewer (at least this viewer) felt a sense of watching real people cope with life. The show's lessons (or morals) were subtle and subtly delivered with wonderful positive humor ("put your faith in God, I know I'm going to" spoken by the head nun of the convent as advice to Diane and a comment on eating Diane's "creative" entree). The show was comforting and life affirming, imperfect people accepting other imperfect people. Whatever triumphs or tragedy befell them, there would always be the place "where everybody knows your name."

Perhaps most touching was the show's genuine fondness for and remembrance of Nicholas Colasanto (Coach). In (at least) two episodes, he is memorialized by name and specific reference (the first show of the season after his death and the memorable Thanksgiving episode) and, in perhaps the most touching coda of any TV series, Sam's last act in the last episode is to straighten the picture of Geronimo that came from Colasanto's house and became a permanent part of the set after his death.

It is in my all-time top five with Seinfeld, Scrubs, I Love Lucy, and (especially the early years') Cosby.
  • Classic!

Cheers is one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. The best part about it is that it is still in re-runs and the show is still as funny and relevant (almost) as it was at the time. Sometimes there are guests or jokes that I don't get cause they are obviously topical from the 1980s when the show first aired but all in all this show is still great today. All of the characters were awesome. The show was still good when characters left it and were replaced because even the replacement characters were good (Rebecca Howe, Woody, etc). Frasier was a spin-off of this and even that was good because even though he was a bit part on Cheers the character was awesome. Cliff, Norm, Carla, etc, all of the characters were great and funny!
  • The story is about these friends who go to the bar, and is owned by Sam, who was a former baseball player for the Boston Red Sox.

This show is one of America's greatest sitcoms of the 1980's and the 1990's. It makes me feel like I want to "Go where everybody knows your name". The show just makes me feel great, and I like the character Diane. She was smart, but I don't see her in a lot of episodes. Even though all the episodes I have seen involved her, I found out that she was only in 123 episodes, while everybody was in a ton of more episodes. Anyways, it is just that sort of show that nakes you feel good, and makes you want to tune in for another episode, even though the shows are just coming in re-runs.
  • Possibly the best romantic comedy taking place in a natural, every-day setting. The jokes and situations are those in which will and are always relevant. This show will never be behind the times unless people stop being people.

Starting with Sam and Diane, the cast created within this sitcom was perfect. The characters each represented a part of American culture and reflected so accurately that everyone not only knew their name, but everyone could determine who represented them. It was like looking into a mirror of your own life when watching this show. Sam, a former alcoholic and semi-sucessful professional baseball pitcher, opens a neighborhood bar and the hilarity enues from the first day on. What is truly remarkable about this series is that while some episodes and seasons were better than others, the producers and writers never let the show truly get dull. They changed character focus, main themes, and kept this sitcom entertaining and arousing despite being in the air twelve seasons. Never did this show let you down for more than two episodes during its entire run. One of the few shows that I truly love, not becauseof its cultural impact, but because it was just downright funny...all the time.
  • best comedy ever

even though i didn't see this show when it was first running, i wasn't even born when it debuted i did cath up with it recently with dvds. i find that show to be smart funny and absolutely no cliché even by todays comdic standard. having seen almost all the episodes i think i can say that it has never jumped the shark even when dianne left. the addition of rebecca was great for the show and i think that was why it last as long as it did. it's tuly the best comedy i have see
  • The best comedy by far.

What can I say this is one of the best comedy's of it's time and I feel all time.
    It had to of my favortie chactors in Cliff and Norm. The show I feel got even better when they got rid of or she left which ever does not matter to me becasue I never like Diane and Rebeca was better. Sam always made the show worth watching but Norm, Cliff, Woody, Coach, Frazier made you keep coming back. And I feel that Kelsey Grammer was better on Cheers than he was on Frazier. I just never liked the show as well as Cheers. To sum it up this is my all time favorite show. Just ahead King of Queens
  • In my top 5 for tv shows of all time, and from me that is saying alot, since I have seen alot of different tv shows in my day.

In my top 5 for tv shows of all time, and from me that is saying alot, since I have seen alot of different tv shows in my day. All the characters are classic, such as Sam, Frasier, Norm, and there are plenty more characters that keep the comedy fresh.
  • Cheers is prehaps the best show made.

The series was set in the Cheers Bar, and revolved around the life of bar owner Sam, and his employee's. Seasons 1-5 introduced Diane, the snobby, intelligent waitress who is forced to work at Cheers after she is left there by her fiance. Diane also served as the "hard to get" love candy for Sam, the studly bar owner and former Red Sox pitcher. Seasons 1-5 also introduced a variation of supporting characters such as: Norm, the everyday bar regular whose tab is larger than his gut. Cliff, the hard core mailman who was usually the bud of Carla's joke. Carla, the witty and sometimes harsh head waitress at the bar. Fraiser, the sometimes serious psychologist who kept the others in check. And Coach, the lovable co-bartender and Sam's old coach. Sadly, the actor who played Coach died during the filming of the third season. Coach was replaced with Woody, the lovable, naive farm boy. After season 5, Diane dumped Sam and left the bar for good, which led Sam to sell the bar to a big corporation and sail around the world. After Sam returned he was dismayed to see what the corporation had done to it. The new owner was Rebbecca, who served as Sam's new love interest. The remainder of the show revolved around Sam trying to buy back the bar, and win over it's owner.
  • Pretty smart!

5.8
    Cheers was a fantastic situation comedy, huge in all areas, such as cast, episodes and laughs. Cheers was so real it felt as if you were sitting next to the regular barflys of the most endearing watering hole in TV history.

The characters of Cheers were excellent, with characteristics so real it was fascinating to observe. Sam (Ted Danson) was disgraceful yet lovable, Diane (Shelley Long) was just sublime, with her constant snobbery yet acceptance that this was where she suited best. Carla (Rhea Perlman) was viciously acidic to all yet there were rare moments when she showed her tender interior. Norm (George Wendt) and Cliff (John Ratzenberger) were a hilarious comedy double act, constantly getting into crazed situations and forever fretting about where their next jar of love was coming from. Woody (Woody Harrelson) was divinely dim, sometimes so dense it was just TOO funny to watch.

Yet among Cheers were three characters that really shone, that elevated it even further to the lofty heights of greatness. These characters were Rebecca, Frasier and Lilith, played by Kirstie Alley, Kelsey Grammer and Bebe Neuwirth. Rebecca was adorable and ditzy, always searching for her meaning in life as well as the riches she craved, Frasier was pompous yet yearned to just be 'one of the guys' and Lilith was a comedy creation to be admired, with Bebe Neuwirth playing her dry, totally devoid of emotion and cold character perfectly.

Cheers was a sitcom that deserves to be remembered as a classic. Hopefully, in twenty years from now, it will still be doing the rounds on cable TV. Only time will tell.
  • This is the show that got me hooked on TV. The memories I have of watching new episodes of 'Cheers' every week can never be replaced.

The cast was out of this world. A favorite debate of mine is whether the 'Diane' years were better than the 'Rebecca' years. To be honest, I could talk about that and have a different answer for hours on end. The writing of this sitcom (and production team), the story lines, the cliffhangers, and especially the cast of this show are, in my opinion, the greatest that were ever assembled. I cannot express how much I miss this show. The series finale I still have on an old VHS tape, complete with the 30 minutes of 'toasting Cheers' hosted by Bob Costas that preceded the airing of the finale, plus the after show appearance on Jay Leno by most of the (then inebriated) cast, which was hysterical. This is the best sitcom to ever air on television.
  • One of the all time classics that will be enjoyed for all eternity.

Whenever you walk in to a cozy bar to have some brews, you might just think of Cheers. This show is sort of the gold standard of sitcoms in my opinion. The unforgetable characters from Norm, to Sam were all perfectly cast and the actors really made the series. Another great thing is the theme, You have to rank the Cheers theme top 10 or even top 5 of all-time sitcom themes. Kirsty Alley never was better and say the same for Shelly Long, she was the better leading lady for the show, but Alley filled in very nicely. Overall this show ranks right up there with the best of all time.
  • Best show in my lifetime!

Were everybody knows your name. Growing up as a young adult in the 80's. I wanted to visit that bar. The closest I have ever gotten was through my TV week after week. Cheers was, in my humble opinion, the funniest show at it's time. Yes, the Cosby show was also funny, but there was something about the way the Cheer's characters interacted made the show go so well. The fact that the Fraiser show lasted as long as it did, was proof of how the characters were loved by the Cheer's fans. I just wish they would have had a Norm spin-off that included the postman Cliff Clavin. But too much time has pasted and I don't think anything like this would be feasible today.
  • An oldie but a goody

Cheers was defenelty a trend setter for the future comedy shows. I mostly saw re-runs but one thing I do remember is watching the very last episode and that could not be more funny. Kirsty Alley had one scene that I will always remember. It was sad to see it finish but for 11 years it really had a good run, and that show made some stars. Wish they would do re-runs again!
  • This show is a classic how can you not love it.

The best years I think were the first few seasons, but I don't think it ever really got bad, just some seasons weren't as good as others. It's not like it was worse than the beginning some of the later seasons were better than the begginning seasons. The whole thing Sam and Dianne got old sometimes, and so did with Rebecca & Sam. There was so many funny things, it's hard to name them, Norm's sayings when he came in . Carla, just her by herself was hilarious. This show was semi-adult humor but even though it was in a bar was something the whole family could watch.
  • You wanaa go where everybody knosw your name. ----I know I sure do.

I never really saw the show when it originally aired, only seeing it in syndication after it ended. Doesn\'t mean I never wanted to watch it.

Cheers is one of the great gems of comedy created in the last 20 years. The characters brought to life by wonderfull actors and a set that makes you think they\'re really in the bar Cheers, Cheers has many aspects to it that are great attributes to have for any TV show.

I loved the comical interaction between the characters---Carla\'s sarcasm towards the customesr-the permanent fixtures and the newbies alike---was beyond hilarious, the tensions between Sam and both women he had major involvements over the years kept a lot of interest, and who could not love Cliff and Norm?

One episode that has never left my memory that still holds trues as the best of the series was a particular Halloween one they did, which involved the various pranks practiced between Cheers and a rival bar at the time. y favorite moment was the holographic image of a head floating above the bar at the Cheers establishment. It was beyond hilarious.

A phrase known well from the show that I have come to say on many occasions----
    \"You wanna go where everybody knows your name.\"

Nothing is more true then that.
    ~Mara
  • The superbly written and acted comedy show, that was class. A group of characters who are all misfits and losers, but who meet in a Boston bar. As the series progress, and the characters develop, the viewer builds a real bond with them all. 100% Class TV

What can I say about Cheers. A classic comedy that had fantastic writing, great acting, and characters that you could really relate to and like. The writers obviously cared about the characters they develped too. The funny lines were shared out amongst not only the regular cast, but even amongst the occaisional characters. I had liked M.A.S.H and Taxi, but Cheers was just the best, and hasn't been betterd since.

As a Brit, it's subtle humour, charactor development and the sheer class of the writing, proved to be miles ahead of anything on British TV. Unfortunately, Cheers aired on one of the minor chanels in UK, and thus didn't have the sucess that Friends would have. However, those of us that followed it here, knew that it was a classic show, and it was nice to feel part of the Cheers Bar.
  • Brilliant show, still awesome years after ending.

Cheers is a brilliant comedy show. this show is so great its my one of my favourite comedy shows, i think that what makes this show so great is the relationship between the actors and characters and how the actors play the characters so well which really makes the show awesome. Cheers is an 80's version of friends and everyone knows exactly how popular friends is. The show has everything that you need from a comedy you have the good looking smart guy, unsuccessful guys that are just there, stressed business women, and slow minded guy, put it all together and you get a awesome comedy show.
  • Norm!

Cheers is a clasic comedy back when good sitcoms were on [not \"The War at Home\" and other crap]. A simple premise some guys in a bar going through their lives and it became a hit. One of the longest running sitcoms ever and one of the funniest ive ever seen. Norm!
  • A bunch of drunks, playing sober in a bar?! WTF?!

I definitely don't think Cheers ever deserved a second season. I am a huge, huge fan of James Burrows and his work, but this show was just pure and utter filth. I mean I think the humor was way too dry, and it was just too unnatural. I hated Shelly Long, totally. The two guys, Norm and Cliff annoyed me, and the show just shouldn't have gone on. How it was one of the most watched series finales of all time is beyond me, but to each their own. This show is still abysmal. The biggest piece of trash NBC had in 1982.
  • I liked Cheers. I have been watching it since it first started in 1982. I liked Rebecca Howe played by Kirstie Alley because she used to make me laugh.

Sam (Ted Danson), a former pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, owns and runs Cheers, a cozy bar in Boston. Somewhat snobby, beautiful and intelligent Diane (Shelley Long) -- forced to become a waitress when her fiance jilts her -- constantly bickers with Sam. Eventually, they fall in love.
    For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes. They helped to make the story more exciting.

Some of the main characters were Carla Lozupone Tortelli LeBec, Hilary Norman "Norm" Peterson, Sam "Mayday" Malone, Dr. Lilith Sternin-Crane, Diane Chambers, Rebecca Howe, Ernie "Coach" Pantusso, Clifford C "Cliff" Clavin, Jr, Woodrow Tiberius "Woody" Boyd and Dr Frasier W Crane.

Each episode is a story on its own but it forms part of the whole story.
  • Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name.

Cheers was a wonderful show; I still watch the reruns on tv all the time, and it still has the ability to make me laugh, even when I've seen the episode over and over; even when I know what the episode is from the very first line. I still laugh, because it's just a funny show.

It had a great mix of characters, and even when circumstances didn't allow those characters to continue (ie: Coach), they managed to replace the one with another who, while not the same, was a good fit with the rest of the group. There were characters to love and characters to hate; characters to sympathize with and characters to laugh at. Cheers had it all.
  • well this show was past my time..... but i loved it

this show was such a great sunday afternoon show, as you recover from a hangova and just see the friendly faces here at cheers, with a great theme songs lol....

this show was probley well before me time, but it gave me such laughter, but like most shows it start to drown out, which was a shame cause it was a great storyline and great casting.....

Sammy malone the ladies man. carly the dont take crap girl, but love to dish it out...and come on who would love to walk into the bar where everyone shouts your name how cool was that (im refering to norm)....as for the dumbass that was a great touch (refering to woody)...and no life cliff just the postie he had some great one liners......Dr crane he lived a very complex life with his wife who i totally forgot the name to it, but had a stuck up character who cheated on Dr Crane so he slept with rebecca....

well thats all i have time for so see you at the local where everybody doesnt know my name lol
  • i am glad it finally ended

5.3
    this show was funny for the first six or seven seasons. but it seemed to just do the same thing over and over. it was always good for a chuckle or two, but i think its best years were behind it when it finally ended. it did have one of the coolest theme songs though.
  • Had a good run.

This show was defeitly one of many classics I wasnt there when it first came out and still think its a classic. If it came back today it honesly wouldnt do that good because no body goes to bars anymore they mostly go to clubs so they wouldnt understand the concept.
  • Great!

Cheers is a great show. One of the top 15 ever and definitely one of the top 5-10 shows of the last 30 years. It lasted such a long time and deserved every season it was on. It wasnt one that people kept watching just for nostalgia, it really was a fantastic show the whole time. By the last season it was reaching for story lines a bit, but it was still great. Very few shows can have such big casting changes (Nicholas Colassanto to Woody Harrelson and Shelley Long to Kirstie Alley) and still last that long. Definitely a classic and unique in feel and setting.