Cheers

Sam at Eleven

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 21, 1982 on NBC

• In Germany this episode was called "Der Lueckenbuesser" which is in English more or less "The Substitute".

To be honest, I'm not writing this because I think that it's the best episode ever ... I'm writing the review because I love Harry!! This is one of the episodes where you can see Harry Anderson in his role as Harry and I just love his kind of chit-chat ... the way he coons his way to a beer and some money is simple brilliant ... poor coach.

When Cheers appeared on German television the first time it was on one of the two major channels called ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehn - Second German Television) under the name "Prost Helmut!" In Germany all shows are usually dupped and so they changed everything - even the names of the characters - Sam became Hubert, Norman was called Helmut and Cliff Uwe. It was really dreadful and the series was dumped after only 13 episodes. 10 years later a private channel bought the rights and brought Cheers back ... with the right names and everything. Wonderful stuff ...
  • This was the first great episode of the first season of Cheers.

I think that Sam at Eleven was the first great episode of Cheers. It was the first time I felt as if I was part of the bar. It wasn\'t so much the storyline as it was the pace of the episode. I think a lot of credit should be given to James Burrows, who I think is the best television director ever. That final camera truck scene was amazing. It made the viewer feel as if we really were walking down the halls of chairs. I really felt as if I had stopped at the bar after work for a drink. It was also the first episode where we got a glimpse of how a Sam and Diane relationship would be.