Cheers

Second Time Around

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Feb 06, 1986 on NBC

• Frasier has been out on a date with a fellow psychiatrist, Dr Lilith Sternin, but things didn't go too well. Frasier feels depressed, so feeling sorry for him, Sam arranges a date between Frasier and a woman he knows named Candy.

i'm a big fan of kelsey grammer and i belive that this episode was his big break out from just being a side character. If you watch season 3 and most of 4 you will notice that up and untill this episode the character of friaser didn't relly have any big story lines about himself. Now you could say that the episode titled The Heart of a Lonely Snipehunter was a fraiser episode but to me this was this relly frist episode where i thought Kelsey Grammer became more part of the cheers cast. Also we get to finly meet dr lilith sternin for the frist time and it's amazing to me to think that she was only sopose to be a one time thing. Anyway i love this episode and i'm glad to see that this is also's kelsey' fav episode as well.
  • A wonderful example of ensemble comedy.

Cheers is a great case study for anyone looking to track the life of a good comedy series. At the end of season 3, it started to get a bit predictable, with Sam and Diane having most of each storyline, and once in a while, some good side jokes from the bar regulars. In retrospect, (read reruns), it seems the producers sensed this, and made changes to improve the show. They brought in additional characters (Frasier, Lillith, Eddie, Kelly, Robin, etc.), and they added some really funny recurring threads, (Gary\'s Olde Town Tavern, Carla\'s kids, Eddie\'s Ice Shows, etc.).
    I am not privy to the behind-the-scenes politics, and I certainly don\'t know how much effort was placed on the revamping of this valuable and popular show, but remember it was MUST-SEE-TV, Thursday nights. This episode is one of the funniest episodes of all, and shows the writers at their best. The one-liners come fast and furious, and everyone in the bar (cast) has some good ones. Add Jennifer Tilly, who is one of the best and sexiest comedic actresses ever, and we have a classic episode. In fact, in my humble opinion, only Home Is The Sailor tops it. Everyone is having a good time laughing, and everyone is relevant to the storyline.