Cheers

The Tortelli Tort

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 14, 1982 on NBC

I am not a fan of Rhea Pearlman or the Carla character, but there is no denying that this episode, which had her at the forefront, was quite good. Was it because of her? No, not really, but I would be lying if I said that her attacking the New York Yankees fan was not surprising.

Cheers was dead last in the Nielsen ratings in its first year on the air and I do not know why. This was a show with an original premise, and some real characters and it delivered hilarity every week. Few shows have episodes this good just three shows into their series.
  • Carla crosses horns with a fan of Boston's baseball archrivals.

Carla Tortelli probably doesn't spend a lot of time reading meditation books. Tortelli, a die-hard Red Sox loyalist, takes the law into her own hands after a Yankees fan comes into the bar and badgers Carla to the breaking point. The victim threatens a suit that could bring down the bar. Sam loves his friend but can't stand to lose the business. So as hard as it's going to be, Carla must learn anger management and somehow be able to say those two magic words.

No, not "Take that!" More like, "I'm sorry."

Rhea Perlman is hilarious and plays the character to the hilt--Carla will drive you crazy, but you can't stay mad at her. The guy who plays the Yankee fan fits well too. Plenty of funny scenes in this one.

WZME